Remington's Cutlery Advertising and Marketing Strategies

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
espn77

Re: Remington's Cutlery Advertising and Marketing Strategies

Post by espn77 »

I do see that Ray. I never knew that was an indication ::shrug::
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

Thought I’d share a rare advertising knife made by Remington that you don’t see much about. Remington’s R019 Leg/Boot knife. This one was made for Morris & Castle Circus. The web address below is to a fun read that mentions this show on one of the Canadian circuit tours. Morris and Castle shows also toured major fairs in the U.S. in the 1930’s as well as abroad.

https://conklinshows.com/history/storie ... mpede.html
Attachments
64E8B30A-DE9C-490B-8706-4B8FC576CEB9.jpeg
1282298A-650C-44D0-B80C-3F12151722BB.jpeg
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
remington collector

Post by remington collector »

I'm pretty sure that's the knife we battled it out for on Ebay a few years ago. :D I believe that is the only one of those knives I've ever saw. To the victor go the spoils. ::tu::
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Lol...you have a memory like an elephant! It is rare, this is the only one I’ve seen anywhere. Thanks for the look see. ::handshake::
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

a Coca Cola collectors book shows a unauthorized advertising knife as a "Fantasy Knife."
AREMINGTONSEDGE

I’ve heard that, however... a fake is a fake is a fake, no matter how strong the fantasy is for it to be authentic and dreams of big money for junk! It makes me downright agitated that the so called fantasy knives, unauthorized knives, fake knives or whatever are listed and sold as a Remington because it has fake tang stamps. It’s a sham and one should not be allowed to sell one without full disclosures that it is not authentic. :x :x ::censored:: ::censored:: ::dead_horse:: ::watching_you::
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Here is one that makes me scratch my head. It a Dupont advertisement knife before they were involved in Remington. Or before we think they were involved.
Attachments
20190329_210901.jpg
20190329_210916.jpg
20190329_211106.jpg
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

If you Guys have the old Knife World Publications from the past check Feb 2008. Nehi leg Knives by Dennis Ellingsen. Very good article, with pictures.

Harold
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

A picture from the article. Off my scanner it is really poor, but maybe you can see some.

Harold
Attachments
Image (6).jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

espn77 wrote:Here is one that makes me scratch my head. It a Dupont advertisement knife before they were involved in Remington. Or before we think they were involved.
Keith, maybe DuPont contracted Remington to make some advertising knives for them. ::hmm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Keith in my studies and research of the Remington company I seem to remember that “DuPont” (for short description) was involved in a wide and diverse arena of business and production and noting one particular product was gun powder,which if memory serves was used by UMC (United Metal Cartridge) products and continued after Remington merged with UMC. It makes logical sense that they may have had special knives made for marketing before and after the big buy out in the later 1920’s and beginning 1930’s. Your knife looks authentic by the pictures you’ve shown,(I believe it is a true blue beauty). I am at no surprise by the marketing example. I am surprise and pleased to see the example and its rare existence. WOW!!!!
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I'm not schooled of dupont's involvement in Remingtons ammunition department. Was there ammo involvement the same as the cutlery division?
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Keith as you know Remington not only had a cutlery division but also weapons, ammunition and various other production divisions. When DuPont bought the controlling shares of the companies stocks it placed them in the share holder’s drivers seat of the company as a whole...all production divisions.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

This is a good thread. Thought I'd ad some Vaccum Oil Company knives.
Attachments
20220115_111157.jpg

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”