Can yall help me a little with Remington tang stamps??

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
Meridian_Mike

Can yall help me a little with Remington tang stamps??

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I bought these 2 Remingtons. I was looking at the tang stamp info that I could find on the net. The stamps I can find only go up to 1940. I don't think these 2 knives are that old. BUT... the tang stamps seem to match the old stamps.... What is up with that?
11.jpg
13.jpg
21.jpg
23.jpg
And why does this one have the "R-P" on the tang but the other one doesn't...
22.jpg
Mike
:?
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Can yall help me a little with Remington tang stamps??

Post by doglegg »

Not the knife historian but I would have bought those two as well. R_P on a Remington? Surely would not have a reference to Remington Peters, their ammo brand. Anyway, nice old knives.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Yep, thanks for the reply.
I was sort of wondering about the R-P stamp too. I know they (whoever) must have been trying to show it was made by "Remington Peters" but then again...... ????
I know some Remingtons were made by Camillus but I don't know how to tell.

Still confused.....
:?
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Steel pins in nickel bolsters certainly is a flag raiser. Remington never did that in the old days and neither did Camillus when they did the modern "Remington" knives.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Gunsil wrote:Steel pins in nickel bolsters certainly is a flag raiser. Remington never did that in the old days and neither did Camillus when they did the modern "Remington" knives.
Yep, I see now... You have a good point there....

Recon these are chinese knock-offs?
(Dang-it)

:x
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Not sure if this is what you're looking for or not but here goes. :lol: Remington ceased production of pocket knives with the advent of WWII. Remington's cutlery operations were sold in 1940 to PAL (a razor blade manufacturer). Remington however retained the rights to their name and at some time later (early 1980s - someone here will know the exact year) contracted Camillus to make a line of authorized reproductions.

These reproductions, copies of the original Remington patterns , have Delrin handles and stainless steel blades, whereas the originals had bone handles and carbon steel blades. The reproductions from Camillus were very well made knives but can be recognized on sight due to the handle and blade material. Camillus also produced several different series of "picture" handled commemoratives for the Boy Scouts, having Remington tang stamps but were not reproductions of originals - Remington never made knives with those handles that I'm aware of.

After the demise of Camillus, Remington authorized Bear to make reproductions of the authorized BSA knives. IMO those were a huge disappointment - poor quality fit and finish and a disgrace to the legacy of Remington.

To summarize, you won't find any original Remingtons made after 1940. The reproductions can be readily distinguished due to materials (Delrin and stainless steel).

Hope this helps.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Thanks Ken... yes that does help tremendously. I am getting a very good lesson here.

SO, these 2 are NOT Remington made even though they have the Remington name and Remington tang stamp.

Now.... can we clear up just who made these 2 I have?
looks like they are leaning toward chinese made, they may need to go in my POS box.

espn77

Post by espn77 »

Jmo
#1 is definitely Chinese made fairly recently (2000-present)
#2 could possibly be German made in the 70's but I have no proof of that. If some one said different on it I wouldn't argue. But definitely not older than 70's.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

espn77 wrote:Jmo
#1 is definitely Chinese made fairly recently (2000-present)
#2 could possibly be German made in the 70's but I have no proof of that. If some one said different on it I wouldn't argue. But definitely not older than 70's.
10-4...
Dang, I sure held out hope that the first one was the best of the bunch. I was comparing it to some others I have seen here on the forum. Those sneaky chinese didn't put their "made in china" stamp on either of these knives.

SO... as a rule of thumb.... If I see nickel bolsters with steel pins, I can figure they were NOT made in the US.... correct?

Yep, looks like these just might go in my POS bin.... well crap.

German made I might keep but I just don't like any of the china made knives.....
But that's just me....
::doh::
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

Can't agree on the "no steel pins" in Camillus-made Remington knives. The whole series of 9501-9506 green/yellow handled Remington knives have steel pivot pins, as do other Rems made by Camillus. But the Bullet reproductions by Camillus do not have the visible pins.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

tallguy606 wrote:Can't agree on the "no steel pins" in Camillus-made Remington knives. The whole series of 9501-9506 green/yellow handled Remington knives have steel pivot pins, as do other Rems made by Camillus. But the Bullet reproductions by Camillus do not have the visible pins.
Uhhh... OK, so is there any way to tell who made these knives? I know I am totally confused now. Maybe I just need to shut up until a few more folks see my dilemma and add their $.02.

Going by blade tarnish I would think maybe early 2000 (maybe).
Going by blade wear.... hardly any..... so that period fits again.

:? :?
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Well, I have been looking around I can't seem to find any info to help me distinguish between USA made and china made Rems.
One thing for sure....
THIS is a china made Remington......
POS china remington 1.jpg
POS china remington 2.jpg
::td::
Mr. Chips

Post by Mr. Chips »

I sold a lot of Cammilus/Remingtons when they were being made.
I am pretty sure that both of those knives are US made by Camillus
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Mr. Chips wrote:I sold a lot of Cammilus/Remingtons when they were being made.
I sure was hoping somebody would say that.... Thanks!!

Mike
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Meridian_Mike wrote:
Mr. Chips wrote:I sold a lot of Cammilus/Remingtons when they were being made.
I sure was hoping somebody would say that.... Thanks!!

Mike
I think so as well. That first knife was given away with a pack of Remington .22 ammo, and was available in its packaging from the bonus pack until relatively recently for about $20 or so.
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

Hi Mike here’s 2 cents worth...

Both knives were made by Camillus Cutlery in the U.S.A.

The 1st peanut pattern is correct all around. Not real expensive and yes often presented as a give away knife for a bonus gift when you purchased something from modern day Remington.

The second is also correct from Remington’s Earthwood Series. This peanut pattern was produced by Camillus in 1996.

Please see the pics I’ve posted. ::tu::
Attachments
F039A277-A856-457D-8A51-6E9D59ABED8D.jpeg
49453C8E-0E12-4175-BD81-873880AF52C7.jpeg
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

:wink: Oh...just 1 more cent worth... the pattern stamp on back (R-P) taking an “educated guess” stands as (R)=folding, pocketknife or for me personally, I believe it stands for the Remington name -(P)= Peanut pattern. JMHO ::super_happy:: ::tu::

If any other members have knives in this series it’s possible this could be verified by similar stamps on the other knives in this series.
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

WOW... thanks so much for that info. I know I can never know everything about every knife brand but I always enjoy learning about these knives and their background.

Mike
::tu::

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”