Victim of my own success

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
YuriRealman

Victim of my own success

Post by YuriRealman »

I'm fairly new to pocket knives (collecting, not using) ... I recently bought a lot of old junk knives on ebay, trying to see if I could clean them up and resell them... and among them found an old Robeson. Judging by the tang stamp, made between 1922 and 1939.

This thing was in awful shape when I got it ... So while it is not anything close to being in good shape, I'm fairly proud of the work--and now I don't wanna sell it! Now it's my baby ... along with all the rest I guess ::shrug::

I had to grind off some corrosion on the blade and top bolsters. I like the look of the bottom pair, so left those alone. Have been working on it, but I'm not sure if I want to sand more of this blade ....
DSC_4900.JPG
DSC_4902.JPG
DSC_4903.JPG
Difficult to read, main tang stamp is ROBESON/SHUREDGE/ROCHESTER
DSC_4905.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Victim of my own success

Post by doglegg »

Nice looking old stocks yuri, nice job.
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

YuriRealman wrote:I'm fairly new to pocket knives (collecting, not using) ... I recently bought a lot of old junk knives on ebay, trying to see if I could clean them up and resell them... and among them found an old Robeson. Judging by the tang stamp, made between 1922 and 1939.

This thing was in awful shape when I got it ... So while it is not anything close to being in good shape, I'm fairly proud of the work--and now I don't wanna sell it! Now it's my baby ... along with all the rest I guess ::shrug::

I had to grind off some corrosion on the blade and top bolsters. I like the look of the bottom pair, so left those alone. Have been working on it, but I'm not sure if I want to sand more of this blade ....

DSC_4900.JPG
DSC_4902.JPG
DSC_4903.JPG
Difficult to read, main tang stamp is ROBESON/SHUREDGE/ROCHESTER
DSC_4905.JPG
Nice job Yuri. Some knives tug at our hearts and becone a part of us!! Old Robeson's are hard to beat!! Carry it in good health! :)
eveled

Post by eveled »

Looks good. I'd turn that main blade into a Wharncliffe, and use it for whittling. I reground a pair of KaBar Jack knives and have been enjoying them.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

That's a nice old green bone harness jack. I wouldn't do much more cleaning than you have done and I would never regrind it into another blade shape. Leave that to newer knives with less history and value. It looks good now and I think you have it to a near perfect balance between looking good and looking like an honest old knife, and very usable as it sits. Good job, and yeah, you've been bitten by the collector bug. There is no going back and welcome to the club. ____Dave
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Very nice work on an honest old knife.

The B P on the shield stands for “Belt Punch”.

Is there a pattern number on the back of the master tang? Not the usual harness jack.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Very nice work on an honest old knife.

Is there a pattern number on the back of the master tang? Not the usual harness jack.

Charlie
Charlie, I always wondered what the BP stood for but never thought to ask. Thanks for sharing that. ____Dave
YuriRealman

Post by YuriRealman »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Very nice work on an honest old knife.

Charlie
There is a pattern # and I've tried to match it with the corresponding information online, but I can't make out the first numbers. Maybe XX609 .... ?

So does the BP refer to the punch tool that is the knife's second blade? And if the blade wasn't a punch would the letters on the knife be something else?
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

We will find Robeson two and three blade Robeson knives with a punch blade or awl, whatever one wishes to call it, both with and without the B P shield.

That is the only such shield I have ever seen.

I think Bruce Voyles was the first to suggest the B P stood for "Belt Punch" and since it's only seen on harness jacks and cattle knives with a punch blade, it makes perfect sense.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
YuriRealman

Post by YuriRealman »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:We will find Robeson two and three blade Robeson knives with a punch blade or awl, whatever one wishes to call it, both with and without the B P shield.

That is the only such shield I have ever seen.

I think Bruce Voyles was the first to suggest the B P stood for "Belt Punch" and since it's only seen on harness jacks and cattle knives with a punch blade, it makes perfect sense.

Charlie Noyes
I don't doubt anyone's assessment of what the BP stands for, but ... that just seems like a very strange decision, to etch those letters.

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”