couple nOOb questions about an old folder

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
TwoBirds

couple nOOb questions about an old folder

Post by TwoBirds »

Hi All

Recently inherited this old folder amongst a box of a great great uncles mementos, just wondering if I need to replace the scale pins or if I can get away with just wacking them a few times to to tighten up the scales.
IMG_20180705_114825683.jpg
no idea what make it is, just this U.S.A. stamp on the drop point. Seems odd not to have a makers stamp on an old knife, it's been sitting in a box for at least 60 years.
IMG_20180705_114912785.jpg
2b
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: couple nOOb questions about an old folder

Post by glennbad »

First off, WELCOME to AAPK!

As to your knife, I would NOT recommend whacking any pins or anything on the outside of that style of knife. Without seeing it closer, it still does appear to be a shell handle construction. Meaning, the knife parts themselves (blades, spring, inside liners) were riveted together into an assembly, then a stamped, formed thin metal outer shell was attached to that assembly by means of bendable tabs, either at the ends, or from inside the liners. The decorative stag-looking plastic covers may be held on with pins possibly. However, whacking the bolsters or pin areas of that particular knife would only serve to dent in the thin shell covers.

Nice knife. Not especially worth a lot as a collectible, but as a family heirloom, it is priceless! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Glenn
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

As to the question of tightening things up, there may not be a lot that can be done to the blade play on that one. Once those assemblies loosen up, they are quite difficult to service, as complete dis-assembly would be necessary to try to tinker with the blade play.
TwoBirds

Post by TwoBirds »

Thanks Glenbad

I'll leave it be then, the blade play isn't bad at all and it doesn't really matter if the scales are a bit loose.

It's become my go to knife lately, had to stop carrying my lock blade because it can be flicked open and that makes it illegal here, this makes a great replacement.

The real treasure in the box was this old folder :)
IMG_20180701_072443615.jpg
IMG_20180701_072443615.jpg
not completely sure but it's most likely an ERN made in Solingen the 1890s , I sent it off to be professionally cleaned and honed, can't wait to shave with it :)

2b
Attachments
IMG_20180701_072318395.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Twobirds that old razor is a treasure. Great looking.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Good looking old razor! I love shaving with old straight razors!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”