GEC's #14s

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
boykinlp

GEC's #14s

Post by boykinlp »

So, with GEC coming out with a ton of new SFOs, and assuming you could get any you wanted, what are your top 5 choices? If I counted correctly, you have 24 choices, so there should be something for everyone. I am including a link to the GEC page that lists all the choices. Mine are:

http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/201 ... n-june-29/

1. Cripple Creek - Stag
2. DLT Trading - Snakewood
3. Frank's Classic Knives - Oily Creek Bone
4. Gunstock Jack's - Smooth Autumn Gold Bone
5. AAPK - Antique Yellow Saw Cut Bone

BTW, if anyone wants to post pictures of knives that have any of these handle materials, I know it will be appreciated so we can see what they actually look like.
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: GEC's #14s

Post by Railsplitter »

I may not even get one but here are my top five choices in order of preference:

1. Grand Prairie Knives SFO - Black Canvas Micarta
2. Gunstock Jack's SFO - Smooth Autumn Gold Bone. (Reserve already filled)
3. Circle A SFO - Smooth Yellow Bone
4. Blade HQ SFO - Brown Burlap Micarta
5. Collectorknives SFO - Red Sawcut Bone
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

I won't be able to afford all these, but it would be something like this:

1. Charlie Campagna TC Barlow
2. CollectorKnives - Red Sawcut Bone
3. AAPK - Antique Yellow Sawcut Bone w/ shield
4. Cripple Creek - Stag w/ Buffalo Shield (assuming they will have shield w/ stag)
5. Northfield

Does anyone know who will be handling the Cripple Creeks?
-Tim
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

I read SMKW holds the CC trademark.
I am hoping for a barlow, 2 blade Northfield in stag and as KSF has no SFO, I also pick the unannounced Northwoods in stag or giraffe or mammoth or camel. 8)
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

I'd be happy with any one of those. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
singin46

Post by singin46 »

I plan to only buy a couple, Barry's SFO was the only one I reserved because I knew they would go fast. Smooth Autumn gold bone and a crest shield with that clip blade,,,,WINNER! ::ds::
There are so many that I can't imagine someone not finding something that tickles their fancy here, including the AAPK Forum knife!
Love all Jacks
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I don't think I've ever seen so much excitement over a 3" knife.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

I'd put my money that there will be a KSF Northwood's #14 release. It has been the norm that they are not shown or mentioned in any of GEC's upcoming info.
-Tim
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

jerryd6818 wrote:I don't think I've ever seen so much excitement over a 3" knife.
Jerry,they're 3 1/2"......and I'm not exaggerating. ::tu::
Roger
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

robbobus wrote:I read SMKW holds the CC trademark.
I am hoping for a barlow, 2 blade Northfield in stag and as KSF has no SFO, I also pick the unannounced Northwoods in stag or giraffe or mammoth or camel. 8)
robbobus you will have Facebook boiling over with that statement. :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

peanut740 wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:I don't think I've ever seen so much excitement over a 3" knife.
Jerry,they're 3 1/2"......and I'm not exaggerating. ::tu::
Roger, the #14s I see on Great Eastern's web site are 3". If you know something I don't, I'd be glad to hear it. The #15s are 3½". What am I missing?
Attachments
142116-Natural-Canvas-Micarta.jpg
142116-Smooth-White-Bone.jpg
153117-Blade-Forums-Natural-Canvas-Micarta-1.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

My bad Jerry. ::teary_eyes::
Roger
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

These are fairly puny knives .I believe I will limit my purchases to Gunstock Jack's smooth autumn gold bone and the aapk knife. Come on Gec give us a big mammoth viper.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Yeah with so many that'll be out there, there will be a few folks that will try and go deep on these and they certainly can, but I mainly wanted the Smooth Autumn because I hadn't been able to get one in these covers yet. When I found out that Barry was doing this then I was all in, even though I've already bought 3 #15 pattern knives in the last month! Barry's will have the clip single, bolsters on both ends and that subtle crest shield that HSB used to use, some hundred years ago. I remember Dale sold me a knife a few years back that's one of my favorite old EDCs. Old Peachseed bone and has that crest shield. ::ds::
Love all Jacks
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

robbobus wrote:I read SMKW holds the CC trademark.
Ha, every time someone says that GEC appears to not be busy, I think that in fact GEC is completely busy making a secret run of NWs! Getting back to Larry's original question, I don't want to generate any additional hype so I don't want to make a full list... but I will say that I want to get my hands on a sawcut bone example.

I like the "distributed" nature of this run since there are so many SFOs to choose from. Even if there are only 100 pieces in each SFO, the fact that there so many distributors involved it reduces the chance of an average enthusiast completely losing out in a single lolly scramble. Kinda like the recent #78 run, only I believe there are even more SFOs in this run. Keeps things interesting!
Jerry, I totally understand this excitement. I carry my #14 2-blade quite often and I always admire and enjoy it. It's just a lot of knife in a small package, and the steel bolsters resist tarnish from my sweaty hands. Lots of fun to carry and use. I can't wait so see what a single clip looks like on this frame, in all the cool covers coming up! ::woot::

Lee
JET79

Post by JET79 »

at this point I think I would take what ever I could get. I'm very new to collecting old style pocket knives but I'm quickly realizing if I like a popular pattern then I gotta be Johny on the spot as for getting one I want and even thats not a guarantee haha... I set an alarm on a day I was working to try and get a Freemont jack from NW and my phone couldn't keep up with that feeding frenzy. But if I could choose

1 collector knives/ red saw cut bone
2 balde HQ / Brown burlap micarta
3 Any of the DLT ones save maybe the acrylic
4 lick creek/ smooth white bone
5 knife connection/ desert ironwood
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I think if the next Northwoods offering is a # 14 it may be the death knell for the brand unless each handle material is extremely exotic. The Northwoods Brand needs a kick in the pants in my opinion. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

gsmith7158 wrote:I think if the next Northwoods offering is a # 14 it may be the death knell for the brand unless each handle material is extremely exotic. The Northwoods Brand needs a kick in the pants in my opinion. ::nod::
Strong opinion. I disagree. For the last few years Northwoods sell out their 500 piece offering in under 10 minutes. In my opinion, they have their finger right on the pulse of the knife collector. I have been accumulating these for 10 years, and easily have over 20 Northwoods encompassing at least 15 models. I have my favourites, but not 1 is lacking from the earliest to latest. One of my knife regrets is trading off an early 2 blade Gunstock long before the current popularity.

If there will be an offering, I predict they turn it upside down and give us a sleeveboard mini-Fremont or mini-Bear Lake.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

robbobus wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:I think if the next Northwoods offering is a # 14 it may be the death knell for the brand unless each handle material is extremely exotic. The Northwoods Brand needs a kick in the pants in my opinion. ::nod::
Strong opinion. I disagree. For the last few years Northwoods sell out their 500 piece offering in under 10 minutes. In my opinion, they have their finger right on the pulse of the knife collector. I have been accumulating these for 10 years, and easily have over 20 Northwoods encompassing at least 15 models. I have my favourites, but not 1 is lacking from the earliest to latest. One of my knife regrets is trading off an early 2 blade Gunstock long before the current popularity.

If there will be an offering, I predict they turn it upside down and give us a sleeveboard mini-Fremont or mini-Bear Lake.
Robobus I wish for only the best in a new Northwoods offering. I suppose i may seem somewhat skeptical but i see GEC sliding into predictable handle materials and other safety measures and I hope Northwoods does not follow suit. It is refreshing to have a knife Co. on the edge.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Hey Greg, I think Northwoods needing a kick in the pants is a bit strong considering their latest run I watched sell out in less than 5 minutes! GEC is only doing what they've been doing with regularity over the past 3 or 4 summers. When they have a very popular pattern, like the #15 or #14, which they have produced the 15s for at least the past 3 summers, they tend to make more. Just to give others a chance at one, that might've missed an SFO or short run. They do what any company does. Produces the patterns that are their bread and butter. Quite frankly, they can make the #14s as easily as they make the #15s, so a no brainer. The extra bolsters are an easy part too, cause they've done it before. A new pattern is always the hardest because it requires new tooling and such. There is no way to predict what is coming from Northwoods in the future, I will leave that to them. GEC does alot of challenging things for an old fashioned/traditional Cutlery however.
Love all Jacks
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here is a pic of Gunstock Jack's SFO in the 14 smooth autumn bone.
Attachments
rs=w_1800,h_1800.jpeg
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

gsmith7158 wrote:Here is a pic of Gunstock Jack's SFO in the 14 smooth autumn bone.
Thanks, Greg. I think it will be a winner.
Larry

Each one, teach one.
wlf

Post by wlf »

Thanks JET79 :D ,
Let me know and I’ll reserve you one.

I didn’t realize so many were 1 bladers . For me, a one blade in the #14 just doesn’t seem like it would have enough grip. I originally had mine as a one blade and changed after consideration.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
JET79

Post by JET79 »

wlf wrote:Thanks JET79 :D ,

I didn’t realize so many were 1 bladers . For me, a one blade in the #14 just doesn’t seem like it would have enough grip. I originally had mine as a one blade and changed after consideration.
Sir, I would love that! I tried to look up where I could find a reserve but I didn’t know where to look.
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

wlf wrote:Thanks JET79 :D ,

wIf,
Which one are you reserving?
Larry

Each one, teach one.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”