What's Happening

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
m0nk

What's Happening

Post by m0nk »

I haven't seen a place to comment or ask questions about the What's Happening on the GEC blog, so I'm starting a new thread. Did anyone else check it out today? They updated their production pics, and wow, our friends at GEC must be busier than the beavers they're putting on the 43 Oregons. They have no fewer than four patterns in production as of today: 43 Oregons, 77 Barlows (CK SFO), 46 Whalers, and 71 Bullnoses. :o

It seems like normally they have maybe two patterns going on at once, but four seems unusually busy. Has anyone ever seen four patterns in production simultaneously? Does anyone have any insight into what's going on at GEC? Are they surging, or did they ramp up their steady state production capacity? I wish I could stop in and ask questions, but I'm halfway across the country. One's imagination can run wild... Did they bring in some experienced cutlers laid off from Queen? Did they acquire Queen equipment or even factory space? ::handshake::

Lee
313 Mike

Re: What's Happening

Post by 313 Mike »

Yes, I checked it out today, and they do indeed seem to have A lot going on. I don't have answers to any of your questions, but I am looking forward to the 77 and hoping to score an Ironwood version. Also looking forward to the gunstock, but that one's not on the schedule yet.
Very surprised to see there is a Whaler in production, that's not even listed on the production schedule. Wonder if that's a small run SFO for someone?
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Lee:

It's ironic that you posted this because I was thinking the exact same thing about an hour ago. I too, was looking at the pictures of all the new knives coming out and I noticed one photo of the tubes for the new 43 Trapper. They had them all lined up so I tried counting them.

When I came up with a number, I added all the same knives I've seen for sale at KSF, Blue Creek, Gunstock Jacks, etc, and I figure they are making way more than their usual low numbers.

They used to make as little as 88 sometimes but now they're making much more. Either sales are that good or like you said they've stepped up production just because they could. Very interesting to say the least. :shock:

"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Up to this point GEC has been making great knives with a low incidence of 'issues'. We all know how deep the disappointment is when a new knife arrives and it has some blade play or springs so strong your nails break, etc. But with GEC there is almost always delight and very rarely a disappointment. This is why we love them.
By increasing run numbers, maybe as much as doubling the numbers, will GEC be able to spend the same amount of time on every knife ? My concern is that the near 100% reliability of GEC knives might become a thing of the past.
So far it seems that the GEC 'mission' is to get very knife just right, quality being number 1 in importance. If 'growth' replaces quality as number 1 in importance, quality will suffer.
Nothing lasts forever but still "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
kj
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Big day yesterday, with the new production schedule released. It really helps in forecasting purchases for the next few months. So who else is excited about the #15 run? My plan includes a red linen 71 and a black linen 15 clip. Personally I see the 46 whaler as an oddity, something that will appeal to a certain clientele but not to me. Funny to think, when this schedule gets updated again, we'll be seeing production pieces that could go on my Christmas list!

Regarding the concerns about increased production numbers vice quality, check out the #77 photo album on the GEC Facebook page. GEC responds to some naysayers with regards to their numbers and their focus on high quality. Personally I'm glad to hear them address these issues, when oftentimes GEC seems rather secretive.

Lee
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

If I am wrong here someone please correct me but I think the #77 run is a SFO for Ck and they are all spoken for via a lottery conducted by Ck. Does anybody have one reserved?
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Greg, you're right on both assertions. There's a separate thread for the #77 CK SFO reserve saga. Lots of lucky fellows reported getting a winning number. I ended up buying a NF 78 2-blade as a consolation, with no lottery, no waiting, and no drama of any kind. And, God forbid, should I drop my 78 on the floor, the big end cap will afford the bone handle cover some protection. With the recent trauma to my 43 frontier bone, I'm thinking twice about bare end bone knives, and leaning toward end caps for bone covers whenever possible... which is why I'm so excited about the upcoming #15 bare end single clip in black linen micarta! ::ds:: After buying and subsequently passing along a black canvas micarta 78, I've come to appreciate the difference between linen and canvas micarta.

Lee
Attachments
nf_78_2bld_3_small.png
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

m0nk wrote: With the recent trauma to my 43 frontier bone
How bad is it? Do you have pictures? I have one too.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

XX Case XX wrote: How bad is it? Do you have pictures? I have one too.
Mike, It's probably not that bad in the grand scheme of things. No pics yet but I'll post some next time I get the camera out. It's a corner crack where the knife end hit the floor and a crack from there back to the liner, above the lanyard tube. Makes me mad because I'm normally really careful with my knives and I wasn't paying enough attention when I dropped it. It slid out of a slick nylon knife slip that I was holding in my hand. This is a rather heavy knife and the bare bone end is just a little too vulnerable to damage for a knife that I want to carry and use occasionally.

Lee
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I noticed on the GEC production schedule that the #44 is on the line. Appears to be out of sequence but I have one ordered so I'm happy with that :D
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Going by the What's Happening page GEC does appear to have increased production with 3 models on the line at the same time, makes me wonder if they did pick up some of the more experienced laid off Queen cutlers.
I asked Bill at last years Rendezvous if they were running at capacity and he said no, the limits at the time were getting employes trained to GEC's level of craftsmanship. I'm sure there were a few good cutlers left at Queen and Bill would have known them as he worked for Queen for many years.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

My bank account heard the same thing and cried "MERCY!", John. ::rotflol::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

It looks like the red micarta #15 with the clip blade is a pretty good looking knife. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I noticed this picture in the What's happening section on the GEC website. It looks like a yellow jigged bone #15 with a clip blade. I've not seen this knife available anywhere. Does anybody know anything about them?
Attachments
IMG_4675.jpg
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

gsmith7158 wrote:I noticed this picture in the What's happening section on the GEC website. It looks like a yellow jigged bone #15 with a clip blade. I've not seen this knife available anywhere. Does anybody know anything about them?
Greg, it looks like Charlie Campagna's SFO.
http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Railsplitter wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:I noticed this picture in the What's happening section on the GEC website. It looks like a yellow jigged bone #15 with a clip blade. I've not seen this knife available anywhere. Does anybody know anything about them?
Rick has that not been released or did I just miss that one in the wink of an eye?
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

gsmith7158 wrote:
Railsplitter wrote:
Rick has that not been released or did I just miss that one in the wink of an eye?
I'm not sure but I think they probably just left the factory today or maybe they will ship tomorrow.
Rick T.

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Railsplitter wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:
Railsplitter wrote:
I'm not sure but I think they probably just left the factory today or maybe they will ship tomorrow.
Gotcha! ::tu::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

It is a 3 1/2" barehead jack with a clip blade. Very basic folding knife, well made i am sure. If the lolly-scramble nuts buy it out in minutes i will be bumfuzzled.
kj
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Anybody else notice the "WHAT'S AT THE END OF THE HALL?" pic posted yesterday? Clearly Wall Street is for the upcoming run of 99s. Has GEC ever done a Coke Bottle pattern before? As for the cowboy, all I can guess is a run of stockmans, maybe 68 Buckaroos. Can anyone offer interpretations of these elements?

Lee
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

m0nk wrote:Anybody else notice the "WHAT'S AT THE END OF THE HALL?" pic posted yesterday? Clearly Wall Street is for the upcoming run of 99s. Has GEC ever done a Coke Bottle pattern before? As for the cowboy, all I can guess is a run of stockmans, maybe 68 Buckaroos. Can anyone offer interpretations of these elements?

Lee
I think your guesses are pretty good, Lee. I'll add that the donkey might be a clue that they will use the Krack-A-Jack shield again.
Rick T.

m0nk

Post by m0nk »

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the flag above the donkey is hinting at another run of American Jacks, just in time for Christmas. Hopefully with clip blades. I've got enough spears to arm a Roman legion. (Ok maybe not that many) ::mdm::

But I've been wrong in my predictions before. Like how I was certain that Farmer Locks would come with this run of 99s, but it was not meant to be. I'm sticking with my theories about some kind of a stockman and a Coke bottle PPP.

Lee
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Coke reference is likely and hopefully for the 06 Pemberton. Perhaps some Yankee and Washington jacks. In the back of my head I recall talk of more WJs, sheepsfoot 03 homages would have me smiling till the snow is gone.
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Rob, I like your interpretations. The 06 Pemberton sure enough looks like a Coke bottle to me. And I'm definitely ready for a 77 WJ. The 77 page on the GEC site isn't displaying properly. Can anyone explain the difference between the Washington and Yankee Jacks? Is it that the YJ has a spear main and the WJ has a clip?

As for the cowboy, let's say it means a stockman run. I know about the 66, 68, 54, and 98 stockmans. Have there been others? Does anyone think the cowboy means something else?

Lee
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Yankee Jack is a regular jack knife with the typical bolsters and endcaps. The Washington Jack is a Charlie Campaigns exclusive and features stamped UNXLD endcaps, lined and grooved bolsters and the handles are radiuses at 45°. Similar to the Schrade 2ot amongst others. The finest of any modern traditional pocketknife made in the last 40+ years, in my less than humble opinion. Here's a screenshot from GECfor the 14 run.
Screenshot_20180924-105311.png

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”