What Schrade RARE knife do you have

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
KnifeSlinger#81

Re: What Schrade RARE knife do you have

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Wow Eric that's a nice one!
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Thanks Paul!

Cal I hear ya! LOL

Here's one more, a big'un at 4 3/8":
Schrade Cut Co Moose.jpg
Schrade Cut Co Moose 2.jpg
Schrade Cut Co Moose 3.jpg
Schrade Cut Co Moose 4.jpg
Eric
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

ea42 wrote:Thanks Paul!

Cal I hear ya! LOL

Here's one more, a big'un at 4 3/8":

Schrade Cut Co Moose.jpg

Schrade Cut Co Moose 2.jpg

Schrade Cut Co Moose 3.jpg

Schrade Cut Co Moose 4.jpg

Eric
::tu:: :shock: ::tu:: :shock: ::tu:: :shock: ::tu:: :shock: ::tu:: :shock: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) 8) ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool::
81043 stockman001.jpg
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Eric, your Cut Co Moose is another extraordinary old Schrade example! ::tu:: ::tu:: In the Case nomenclature that long spey blade is also referred to as a "J" blade. Would Schrade refer to the long spey blade the same way? It's probably a Case peculiarity.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Paul I think it's a Case thing, always heard them referred to as simply spey blades, but then I wasn't around when they were made, so who knows what they called them in the shop. I'm sure they had a catchy name back then ::tu:: :D :D

Cal thanks for putting up the catalog cut, Now I need to find the matching stockman!

Eric
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Here is an example of the jumbo stockman. No shield. Also shown with a normal stockman for comparison.
81043 stockman002.jpg
810431.JPG
810432.JPG
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Eric,that moose is special! ::tu:: ::tu:: Cal, that stockman ain't bad either!
Roger
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Eric and Cal those two are STUNNING! Grail knives for sure.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Thanks Paul!

Cal that's a beauty!! ::tu:: ::tu::

Eric
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Beautiful knives Cal and Eric. If you keep posting knives with that great old jig bone, I'm going to have to keep a drool bucket by my desk. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I looked at this ebay listing for days and just could not decide whether it was bone or not from the seller's pics and description. I decided to take a chance. I had heard since back about 2008 that there were a few 1959-1961 bone 8 OTs made for John Primble Hardware and I have watched ever since. This is the only one I have seen. Got lucky.
seller 1.jpg
seller 2.jpg
primble002.jpg
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Wow! Very nice Cal!
::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Cal that is nice, from the top two pictures you could not tell what the handle material was. Glad you got that one.

Harold
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

You guys have ALL the good ones !
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

kootenay joe wrote:You guys have ALL the good ones !
kj
Thanks for the kind words, Roland, but I beg to differ, and I know that you have some absolute treasure, yourself! 8) :)
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

tongueriver wrote:I looked at this ebay listing for days and just could not decide whether it was bone or not from the seller's pics and description. I decided to take a chance. I had heard since back about 2008 that there were a few 1959-1961 bone 8 OTs made for John Primble Hardware and I have watched ever since. This is the only one I have seen. Got lucky.
Edit: The clip blade and possibly the other blades are not the same manufacture as the early 1959-1961 8OTs. I don't know whether they date to the same time period or not but the grinds are very different. I am thinking possibly furnished by Baer's Ulster or Imperial facility? Comments welcome.
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

tongueriver wrote:
tongueriver wrote:I looked at this ebay listing for days and just could not decide whether it was bone or not from the seller's pics and description. I decided to take a chance. I had heard since back about 2008 that there were a few 1959-1961 bone 8 OTs made for John Primble Hardware and I have watched ever since. This is the only one I have seen. Got lucky.
Edit: The clip blade and possibly the other blades are not the same manufacture as the early 1959-1961 8OTs. I don't know whether they date to the same time period or not but the grinds are very different. I am thinking possibly furnished by Baer's Ulster or Imperial facility? Comments welcome.
Cal I have a Schrade Walden Old Timer with the same grind ,delrin handles.
The knife does not have the 8OT on the back.
The Special Edition Jim Bowe ( S.W Cut JB1 ) and the Keen Kutter (S.W Cut K74 ) have the same blades.
Sorry no pictures at the moment as the battery is flat in camera.

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

The American Eagle series of full size stockman knives (commemorating American Revolutionary War heroes), made for Parker, were made by Imperial and the blades look like this one. By the way, I have that whole set with matching #s, boxes, etc. and they are available (hehheh).
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

tongueriver wrote:The American Eagle series of full size stockman knives (commemorating American Revolutionary War heroes), made for Parker, were made by Imperial and the blades look like this one. By the way, I have that whole set with matching #s, boxes, etc. and they are available (hehheh).
Do you mean this set. :)

Grant
Attachments
parker 80T 72.JPG
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Shearer wrote:
tongueriver wrote:The American Eagle series of full size stockman knives (commemorating American Revolutionary War heroes), made for Parker, were made by Imperial and the blades look like this one. By the way, I have that whole set with matching #s, boxes, etc. and they are available (hehheh).
Do you mean this set. :)

Grant
yep. ::tu::
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Here's some info on the American Eagle set put together by Schradenut
The American Eagle Commemorative Series 1776-1976.jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

This is more of a one off oddball than a 'rare' knife. It's a BSA Jubilee knife and I'm going to go out on a limb and use the "P" word here (PROTOTYPE) along with a healthy dose of conjecture - cause that's usually a winning formula. ::tu:: The knife that was ultimately made in 1985 was a run of 12,000 pieces on a brushed lockback frame with engraved brass inserts and custom blade etch. Here's a picture of one from a popular auction site:
orig.jpg
Here's the one I have:
proto1.jpg
proto2.JPG
00000.jpg
00000.jpg (8.26 KiB) Viewed 3111 times
When I saw the 00000 serial number and those 'SS' letters engraved into both inserts my first thought was photo sample or salesman sample. But why would a SFO need that? Then there's the blade etch that reads '1 of 500' instead of 12000. Finally why aren't the inserts brass? They're stainless. So my theory is that the silver looking inserts are representative of sterling silver (which is why it got the 'SS' engraved) and the 1 of 500 means there was a plan to also have a limited 'silver edition' to go along with the standard edition of this knife. That plan fell through and this prototype is all that remains. Like I said - a healthy dose of conjecture. ::shrug::
- Jason
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Pretty good conjecture I would think.
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

I found this in my files...evidently they made one in sterling and one in 10k gold...click on the pic and it will enlarge and be readable
schrade sfo's.jpg
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Jason, they made three different versions of that knife for Scout's diamond jubilee. 12,000 with brass inserts (your top photo), 500 with sterling silver inserts, and 100 with gold inserts. They were all packaged differently. I shot a couple of quick picks of my silver and gold ones to give you an idea.

The silver insert model was mounted in a wood and pexiglass case, which in turn is mounted in a faux leather hinged box.

The gold model in the fleur de lis was actually mounted on a blue felt frame as well, but I'm missing that part. This one actually belonged to Wally Gardiner, the former president of Schrade. In the 1980's he was actually still a salesman, and secured the order for these knives at a meeting with the Scout leadership in Texas. He got this knife as a thank you gift from Albert Baer, hence the 0000 serial number.

I'm curious as to who might have owned your silver one, the 0000 numbers were often reserved for management. It's definitely not a proto though, it's too far along production wise for that.
Schrade scout knife 75 Ann. 2.jpg
Schrade scout knife 75 Ann..jpg
Eric

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”