Russell knife steel

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
mrwatch

Russell knife steel

Post by mrwatch »

Hit the garage sales and flea market Friday. Picked up this old AG Russell knife steel cheap. The Varnish bad. Fixed ring. my computer notes-vintage AG Russell knife sharpening steel total length 20 1/2 inches steel 14 inches stamped Russell only. any idea on the age of it please? Thanks. note-others on the net have a four way guard and shorter.
Attachments
DSCN4534.jpg
DSCN4535.jpg
DSCN4536.jpg
Gunsil

Re: Russell knife steel

Post by Gunsil »

It's not AG Russell, it is Russell Cut Co. Hard to date they made them for years.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I really like how that one is much finer (pretty much smooth), especially compared to the Victorinox branded Egginton steel I use.
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

cody6268 wrote:I really like how that one is much finer (pretty much smooth), especially compared to the Victorinox branded Egginton steel I use.
I know that model and some seem very course, also less abrasive, fairly smooth which this one is more for a quick touch up during use, and completely smooth. I have a orange handle Dick smooth which is used to straighten the rolled over edge while sharpening. Most of what I see in thrift stores seem like they would ruin a fine turkey carver in short order, and some in the antique malls look worn out and no name for real $$$. ::shrug::

Return to “General Knife Discussion”