Help Dating CS Knives

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
CalDave

Help Dating CS Knives

Post by CalDave »

Greetings! I was hoping someone might know of a good reference for help with dating CS knives? For example, I've recently acquired a nice Reverse Gunstock 3-Blade Amber Bone (4 3/8" closed) but the ID paper is missing. There's no serial number on the bolster. I'm speculating that it's an early model (2005/2006) and was made with Queen parts because its so similar to the Queen model at that time. Any help would really be appreciated.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Help Dating CS Knives

Post by kennedy knives »

Welcome could you post a photo Thanks
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.

Philco is one of our CS guys. He does love him some Canal Street and has plenty of them to prove it. Another member worked for Canal Street but his name has slipped my mind. ::facepalm:: Be patient and check back. I'm sure they will drop by and weigh in soon.

In the meantime, pictures are usually essential for identifying knives.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

CalDave, welcome to AAPK. I have the same knife you're describing in both the standard model and also one with the 1st Year shield. (marking the first anniversary of Canal Street production) Although I do have boxes and paperwork for most of my Canal Street knives, the knives are stored in display cases, while the boxes and paperwork are tucked away in plastic tubs so it would take me a couple of hours to dig out the paperwork on those two knives. I do believe you are correct that those knives were some of the earlier ones produced by Canal Street, and the fact that they used that pattern as one to bear the 1st Year shield confirms that. As to whether they were assembled from parts produced at Queen, I cannot say. It has been my observation that many of the Canal Street knives that do not have a serial number on the bolster were sold as factory seconds and did not come with the usual paperwork and warranty paper in the box.

The member who worked at Canal Street was ea42. He could tell you a lot more than me about all things Canal Street.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
CalDave

Post by CalDave »

Thank you both for the warm welcome. I've been drooling over Philco's 2014 CS collection pics. Incredible! Here's a pic of my Reverse Gunstock...
2018-05-26 21.34.55.jpg
It came with the CS jewelers pouch but also with a very nice zippered black CS case. CS green box included but no model ID labeling on end like most my other one's have.
WillClinger

Post by WillClinger »

I have one just like it. My notes say it is model #312321, probably made in 2006.
CalDave

Post by CalDave »

Thank you for providing the model #. Does your's have a serial #?
WillClinger

Post by WillClinger »

Mine is serial #215.

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”