Flushing Out

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
boykinlp

Flushing Out

Post by boykinlp »

I have read about flushing out a knife. What is the correct way to do this for a stag knife? What do you use? CLP maybe? Thanks.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Flushing Out

Post by Colonel26 »

If I need to flush one out that is filled with gunk and oil and all manner of pocket filth, is use a spray can of WD40. Then I wrap the knife in paper towels and let everything drain out for a while. Afterwards, lube the joints, wipe the blades down with whatever oil you prefer, and presto changeo you’re done. Might wax down the handles if you like as well, but that’s about it.

If it’s less dirty, open all the blades, squirt in some dawn dish detergent, run a sink of hot water and swish the knife around in it. Maybe let it soak a while. Rinse everything off with hot water, dry it out, and relube.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

The way I do it is WD40 (mostly because that's what I have available) the pivot and inside the handles gratuitously, let it sit, then use a toothbrush to scrub around the pivot and inside the handles to break up any gunk and blow it out with compressed air. Of course you can use many different kinds of oil that would work, or PB blaster if it's really rusty.

Sometimes I wash a knife with soap and water, and that works well too. You just have to make sure to blow it out and lube it well afterwards. I use a dry toothbrush to clean out knives after regular carry and use, that is sufficient most of the time.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

WD40 won't harm the stag handles?
Larry

Each one, teach one.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I'm not saying anyone above is wrong.
But I never use WD40 on stag, bone or wood.
Dish soap, hot water, compressed air.
Then lube.
Just my way. I also use an ultra sonic cleaner.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Can't comment about WD40 and stag as I've not tried it. Dish soap and water works well on bone and delrin handled knives.

I have also used Tuf-glide to flush knife joints, springs and liners, and have never had any problems with it on any handle material including stag. It has a mineral spirits carrier that evaporates quickly leaving a dry lube and protectant (rust and corrosion preventative). The directions provided by the manufacturer say it is harmless to wood, plastics, and bone. I don't recall that it says anything specifically about stag but it's never harmed any of mine.

I just put the knife over a rag or paper towels and spray or squirt the Tuf-glide into the knife joints, blade well, etc. The excess runs out onto the rag, taking dirt with it. On tough cases I use a Q-tip soaked in Tuf-glide to get down into the blade well and scrub to loosen dirt and pocket lint, then flush with Tuf-glide. Wipe down with a soft cloth (or Tuf-cloth if you have one) and you're done.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

I've taken to using Kroil for flushing joints.
A fair amount in the joints from the front and back, and down the
'working' part of the spring(s). Let it sit for awhile then blow it out
with the the air hose. Wipe it down and lube with Tuf-Glide.
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Some folks use ultrasonic jewelry cleaners.

Does your wife have one?

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Some folks use ultrasonic jewelry cleaners.

Does your wife have one?

Charlie
Thanks for the suggestion, Charlie.....but I am an old bachelor.:) I have been taking in all the suggestions and hopefully tomorrow I will give some a try.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I use a couple drops of Dawn dish soap in a sonic cleaner. That will remove most of the crud you will find in a knife in about 5 minutes.
If I am going to spray something on the knife I use Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber. It doesn't hurt the handles and it cleans great without leaving an oily film.

After cleaning I lubricate the joints with Quick Release Oil.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

orvet wrote:I use a couple drops of Dawn dish soap in a sonic cleaner. That will remove most of the crud you will find in a knife in about 5 minutes.
If I am going to spray something on the knife I use Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber. It doesn't hurt the handles and it cleans great without leaving an oily film.

After cleaning I lubricate the joints with Quick Release Oil.
This^^^

I also use Birchwood Casey, work the action, then blow out with compressed air. Repeat as needed until crud no longer blows out from the air. Lubricate with Quick Release!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”