Case 6254 handles

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
NAllen731

Case 6254 handles

Post by NAllen731 »

Did Case ever put handles like this on knives?
20180610_104453.jpg
20180610_104458.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case 6254 handles

Post by gsmith7158 »

No. Not in the XX era. That's rather new looking stag as well.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Maybe not exactly like that (though I think I sort of remember seeing something like that) but they do do this.
Attachments
s-l16300.jpg
s-l16600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l16200.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
NAllen731

Post by NAllen731 »

Whoever did it new what they were doing the fit and finish is nice, no gaps and smooth transitions.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

That knife is a train wreck in my opinion. Looks like a modified Pakistan knock off.

Pin location is all wrong and obviously Case never released a knife with a handle like that in XX era.

Additionally, look at both blade tips. Someone also added swedges to both blades with a grinder.

Personally don’t think this is just a mod regardless but a complete fake.

My opinion. If it is a real XX era trapper, you should see holes on the inside liners where the original handle pins were. Highly doubt this knife has them as I don’t believe it is an original Case. And that sure heck doesn’t look like a 2 on second digit of model number either. Looks like a 3 to me.

Here is a real first model XX for comparisons.

Jerry
Attachments
77DBF801-46A1-4E38-AB26-494A2A8D2651.jpeg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Hillbilly70

Post by Hillbilly70 »

I agree that should have China on the blades
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Look at the tang stamp, the way the 1st X lines up with the "A" in CASE real strange to me.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Jerry's right,complete fake. ::td::
Roger
NAllen731

Post by NAllen731 »

Although I don't disagree that it is most likely fake, hence the reason I posted it. Why would anyone fake a trapper? I would venture to guess Case has produced more trappers than any other pattern. You would think they would counterfeit something that would command more money.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

NAllen731,
To answer your question why, greed! A Case Trapper with that particular tang stamp, CASE XX, usually commands a pretty good price. If a dishonest knife mechanic can cobble together something that can fool/deceive just one unsuspecting buyer, he has succeeded in his game.
That is why we should always study a knife and then ask questions and thank you for exposing another fake! ::handshake::
Treefarmer
Edit: just looked at the knife in question again and noticed the pattern number is stamped on the back of the clip blade ::hmm:: , my Case Trappers all have the pattern number on the spay blade, however, I don't have a CASE XX, only CASE XX USA and later in my pile.

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

NAllen731 wrote:Although I don't disagree that it is most likely fake, hence the reason I posted it. Why would anyone fake a trapper? I would venture to guess Case has produced more trappers than any other pattern. You would think they would counterfeit something that would command more money.
What is the going rate on a mint XX Trapper?

Certainly they are not 100 dollar knives right? That XX Trapper I posted has some incredible stag. No clue what happened to the blades but I carry it often so I really don’t care. Gives it character in my opinion and the blades are razors.
That said, that knife I posted is book value 800 bucks and if mint, one could easily get $400 out of it to a smart collector with 400 bucks to spare.

People fake cheap crap all the time. If real, whom in their right mind would sell that as a “lot knife”?

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
NAllen731

Post by NAllen731 »

I still don't know why if they were going to fake one why not get it as close as possible. The handles threw up a red flag right off the bat. Then you have all of the things you guys pointed out. Oh well it will never end up on the market again.

Thanks for the input.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

NAllen731 wrote:I still don't know why if they were going to fake one why not get it as close as possible. The handles threw up a red flag right off the bat. Then you have all of the things you guys pointed out. Oh well it will never end up on the market again.

Thanks for the input.
The "cigar band" technique for handles is often used when there was not enough good material, in this case stag, to make a full length cover. I see wierd stuff for sale on eBay all the time, things that make me wonder how in the world could anyone believe that's an honest knife. But there are many naive people that don't know much about knives, and don't know that someone would counterfeit a knife. One or both is all that a dishonest seller needs.

Sometimes sellers don't know themselves what they're selling. They're not intentionally dishonest - they're ignorant. I once advised an eBay'er that the knife he was selling was counterfeit, and explained what was wrong with it. He replied thank you but I have a neighbor that collects knives and he says it's not counterfeit. ::dang:: The blind leading the blind.

If you have not already done so, when you get time go to the "Counterfeit Watch" subforum here on AAPK. A good education can be had by reading the posts there.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
NAllen731

Post by NAllen731 »

I pulled out some of my trappers and this knife is wrong in so many ways, should have done that prior to posting. I just got caught up in the handles and the fact that it is stamped 6254 vs. 5254 and did not look at the rest of the knife. I am far from an expert on knives but I see how this could fool an entry level collector. I also made a comment earlier as to why a trapper and not some higher end pattern, well I have not looked at what trappers from this era are bringing right now, Wow!

Thanks for the input, this site is such a valuable resource.
just bob

Post by just bob »

This is an interesting thread. As far as the cigar band type knives go I know there are some early ones with pearl handles and as mentioned the bands were used because the material was not big enough to cover the handle in one piece. So far as the Case knives go the knife in the op is stamped to be 1940 - 1964. All of the Case knives pictured are after the year 2000 and not from the same era at all. I don't know when Case made the first cigar band style trapper knife but maybe the year 2000 might be a good guess? Then the question was asked - Why would anyone counterfeit a knife like this? I don't think that question has an answer. Idle time or creativity maybe, but not for profit when the knife can be detected by a novice collector. Here is the worst Case counterfeit knife I have ever seen it has more wrong with it than Dollar Store lawn mowers. I wonder the same thing - Why would anyone take the time to put this knife together. I thought on this one it might be ignorance on the part of the mechanic but if you can put a knife together surely you have basic knowledge of knife collectability. I love the fact that they left the muskrat on the blade. That was surely a strong selling point. I bought this at an auction for $20 and the only reason I bought is that I didn't want someone else to buy it and get stung on the deal. I took it to the knife club and we had $20 worth of laughs from it. I may give it away to a younger person to use as an EDC.
Attachments
b 1.JPG
b 2.JPG
b 3.JPG
b 4.JPG
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
NAllen731

Post by NAllen731 »

I checked the liners and they do have the original holes in them, they line up with my known to be authentic Case trappers, and it is a 2 for sure. There are still enough things wrong with that i think we can all agree on, this knife did not leave Case in this condition.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”