Zenith Marshall Wells Hardware Pocket knives

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
J529A

Zenith Marshall Wells Hardware Pocket knives

Post by J529A »

I had never seen a Zenith pocket knife until a few days so I looked up the history in Goins and they are a fairly vintage knife. However, I was wondering if anyone knew just how rare these Marshall Wells Hardware Zenith pocket knives are and the assessment of their over all quality?
Duffer

Re: Zenith Marshall Wells Hardware Pocket knives

Post by Duffer »

Here is a Marshall Wells Hardware Co. lock back folding hunter. It is obviously a NYKC produced folder (the shield is the main give away) and then branded Marshall Wells. Part of their Zenith outdoor hunting, camping and fishing lineup. I have a HSB OVB marked lock back folding hunter that is exactly like this one with the exception of the bone handle, jigging pattern and of course the markings—but again a NYKC product.

Marshall Wells Hardware Company was started in Duluth MN in 1892. It was a wholesale hardware company. Sometime around 1917 the hardware part of the company name was dropped and it became just Marshall-Wells. This lock back folder was made by NYKC probably between 1892 and 1917. I have included a page from a 1912 MW Hardware Company publication showing this exact knife third one down. The blade etch on mine is pretty much faded and worn off but under strong light and magnification it can be seen.

My example is marked MARSHALL/WELLS/HDW. CO. On the pile side tang and has the Zenith Circle trademark (sun at its daily pinnacle or zenith) on the mark side tang with M.W.H. Co. At he bottom of the circle. Also both of the cap end bolsters have M-W engraved in a fancy script.

I don’t see them often but there are some others on AAPK that have one. In terms of quality the fact that this one was made by NYKC speaks to that issue!

I am sure they may also have sourced knives from other Cutlery companies but I think it is safe to say this one was made by New York Knife Company.
Attachments
07C791D5-7584-41B1-9221-11A16F0E1F2B.jpeg
14DBF238-9E29-42CD-82E0-47DDD796DB6A.jpeg
7BA48076-7070-425A-95ED-108EDB1B25AF.jpeg
E206D9E1-9C1B-4555-A302-BAA386989BD1.jpeg
FA4D76CF-FAC0-4D5D-8C16-B3DA2F74FDF5.jpeg
28100C1B-9126-4926-BB80-56715F6A376F.jpeg
8E20E0D9-2627-4D11-B5E9-A7A45C001E95.jpeg
3B75CD62-2F02-47D7-ABE0-B542E8ADAA13.jpeg
D3288571-7A86-4188-918F-3BA098CCE0C7.jpeg
Lloyd
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I am from the Duluth Mn. area so they are a little more common around here and I have several. They had a few other knife companies make them and several were made in Germany, England and even Sweden. Most were made by NYK. All I have seen are of very good quality as were all of the other hardware tools, axes and everything else I've seen with their stamp on it. They had a pretty large catalog and were a big company. There main building is still in use as a restaurant among other things. They were way ahead of their time when they were in business with a train track running into the building for loading and unloading, a exercise room and a day care for their employees and held seminars for the hardware store businesses that they sold to. They had branch offices in the Northwest and Canada. ____Dave
J529A

Post by J529A »

Excellent information thank you both!
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

This is my only Zenith M-W knife. It came down from my mom, from her dad and maybe even her grampa. The best clue as to who made it may be the punch; two pieces with a patent date of June 10th 1902. The shield kinda looks like a Remington I have. The jigging is so pocket worn it could be anybody's. Even with it's problems it's still a top notch knife.
Bruce
Attachments
marshall wells 1.JPG
Clark23

Post by Clark23 »

djknife13 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:13 pm I am from the Duluth Mn. area so they are a little more common around here and I have several. They had a few other knife companies make them and several were made in Germany, England and even Sweden. Most were made by NYK. All I have seen are of very good quality as were all of the other hardware tools, axes and everything else I've seen with their stamp on it. They had a pretty large catalog and were a big company. There main building is still in use as a restaurant among other things. They were way ahead of their time when they were in business with a train track running into the building for loading and unloading, a exercise room and a day care for their employees and held seminars for the hardware store businesses that they sold to. They had branch offices in the Northwest and Canada. ____Dave
Hi there, you’re only one I seen mention about Germany made Marshall and other countries I didn’t know about. Is there any history you have about the Germany made knives? I had someone share with me some info about Zenith Made In Germany date information and wondered if it had to actually do with Marshall Wells since all it says is, post of picture I was given.
Attachments
8A189E1F-4F8B-4982-8B8B-456025D40670.png
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

MW has been gone since the 1950's I believe, but someone found a stash of blades somewhere and had them made into knives marked Marshall Wells, Germany around 20 or 25 years ago. These were two blade equal end pen knives about 3 inches long or maybe a little longer, mostly handled in celluloid. I bought several and they tended to start gassing soon after I got them. I do believe Marshall Wells imported some from Germany when they were in business, but I don't know that for a fact. I have quite a few fixed and folders, and most if not all were from New York Knife. I have several bowie hunters from England and one, if memory serves and without digging through my safe, was made by LF&C. They never made any themselves.____Dave
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I've got this old Sun Fish that barely shows the "Zenith" logo above the bolster.
A used and finely made knife with a strong spring. A great old packer.
Attachments
DSCN9730 (2).JPG
DSCN9734 (4).JPG
DSCN9737 (1).JPG
DSCN9738.JPG
Joe
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Joe ::tu::