Production Numbers

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
boykinlp

Production Numbers

Post by boykinlp »

How are production numbers determined? I understand 25, 50, 100, etc., but I believe I saw where some knives had production numbers of 7 or 11. Why the odd numbers and such small numbers? I would figure it would not be practical for really small runs. As a collector, I would love to get in on a small run.:D Please enlighten me. Thanks.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Production Numbers

Post by peanut740 »

I imagine those low production knives were just different handles.They had enough parts for some extra knives and used what ever handle materials they had available.
I have Maher & Grosh knives made by GEC,and our last run we received 5 smooth red bone knives that we weren't expecting.
Roger
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Here is the knife with the 7 run. Peanut you are probably right, might be just as simple as they only had enough handle material (pretty cool) to make seven.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Eastern- ... Sw-OFa5na-
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

peanut740 wrote: I have Maher & Grosh knives made by GEC,and our last run we received 5 smooth red bone knives that we weren't expecting.
I remember when that red bone knife made an appearance on AAPK. I'm gonna have to request that you notify me when these variations come in. :lol:
boykinlp wrote:Here is the knife with the 7 run. Peanut you are probably right, might be just as simple as they only had enough handle material (pretty cool) to make seven.
That knife is going to end up going for stupid money. Custom-level money, almost. It's got the GEC trifecta: Rare pattern, rare shield, rare handle material. I can just see it now.
s-l1600 (1).jpg
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The #45 & #46 patterns have been selling high for the last few months or maybe longer. Some sell for over $500. But i think this is changing right now with the new GEC Whaler release. For those who want an example of this pattern the Desert Ironwood handled ones are only $135. This will take some pressure off the secondary market for this pattern.
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote:The #45 & #46 patterns have been selling high for the last few months or maybe longer. Some sell for over $500. But i think this is changing right now with the new GEC Whaler release. For those who want an example of this pattern the Desert Ironwood handled ones are only $135. This will take some pressure off the secondary market for this pattern.
kj
That depends on who gets them, the flippers or the collectors.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I wonder if dealers will limit purchaser to one of each handle material ? If not, why not ?
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

kootenay joe wrote:I wonder if dealers will limit purchaser to one of each handle material ? If not, why not ?
Look at it this way.

They get paid the same amount for each knife regardless of whom it goes to.

If they can pack up every knife in their allocation into one crate and ship it to one location, that saves them even more money. Since that probably won't happen, fewer overall shipments = higher profits.

It's all about the bottom line.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "It's all about the bottom line"
I think some of the knife dealers care about their regular customers so some decisions might be based on factors other than 'bottom line'.
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Tsar Bomba wrote: It's all about the bottom line.
Which equates to my mantra, "No matter what the situation, it's all about the money."
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

As Roger stated some of the low production numbers come from SFO"s where they had parts left over and made some special knives for who commissioned the SFO. Other low numbers are Rendezvous parts knives, some had less than 10 or even only 1 as a black acrylic Eureka Jack I have.
Pics are some of these low number knives I have, Maher&Grosh thanks to Roger.
Attachments
IMG_7979.jpg
IMG_7176.jpg
IMG_7527.jpg
IMG_3877.jpg
IMG_5753.jpg
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

That sheepsfoot TC is a thing of beauty! :shock: ::tu::

What are the handles made of?

I'm trying not to drool too much over the spear Beer Scout, too. ::drool::
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Tsar Bomba wrote:That sheepsfoot TC is a thing of beauty! :shock: ::tu::

What are the handles made of?

I'm trying not to drool too much over the spear Beer Scout, too. ::drool::

Thanks Tony, Charlie calls it Stormy Bone, 10 of them were thrown in on the last run of TC's.

The spear Beer Scouts were a Rendezvous parts knife, I heard there were 6 in white bone and 6 in jigged bone.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

JohnR wrote:Thanks Tony, Charlie calls it Stormy Bone, 10 of them were thrown in on the last run of TC's.

The spear Beer Scouts were a Rendezvous parts knife, I heard there were 6 in white bone and 6 in jigged bone.
With any luck if the year doesn't get away from me I'll make the Rendezvous. I have to check out some of these creatures...
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

I saw somewhere online that you could find past year's production numbers for each knife on the GEC website somewhere, but I can't seem to find the information. There is a tab titled "Information " but it won't open when I click on it. Maybe that is where it is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
big monk

Post by big monk »

boykinlp wrote:I saw somewhere online that you could find past year's production numbers for each knife on the GEC website somewhere, but I can't seem to find the information. There is a tab titled "Information " but it won't open when I click on it. Maybe that is where it is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Larry
Hold your cursor on the ""information tab"" the drop down menu will have production totals at the bottom -- click on it and choose the year you are looking for -- it will be a download file in PDF format -- hope this helps :)

http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/pro ... 6-present/
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

big monk wrote:Hold your cursor on the ""information tab"" the drop down menu will have production totals at the bottom -- click on it and choose the year you are looking for -- it will be a download file in PDF format -- hope this helps :)

http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/pro ... 6-present/
Thanks for the answer Monk. The " holding your cursor on the Information tab" part was being difficult for me using my iPad.:(
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”