Help with I D

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Help with I D

Post by kennedy knives »

Old Knife not sure who are when it was made any help would be appreciated . Thanks
Attachments
Desert Prince,Kodiak, Buck Creek 047.JPG
Desert Prince,Kodiak, Buck Creek 049.JPG
Desert Prince,Kodiak, Buck Creek 050.JPG
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Help with I D

Post by orvet »

Not sure who made it, but it looks French or perhaps German.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I'm thinking Eastern European. The tang stamp looks like a Cyrillic cypher.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have thought that this style with horn handle were made in France although i have not see one marked "France".
kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

knife7knut wrote:I'm thinking Eastern European. The tang stamp looks like a Cyrillic cypher.
Just looked up the Cyrillic alphabet on Wikipedia and it is indeed a cypher from the alphabet. Not sure how to pronounce it but if you look up the list it is the 6th one from the bottom in the right side column. In the picture of the tang stamp it is upside down.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Very interesting!
If the photo rotates 180 degrees,I think there are two cyrillic letters surrounded by a circle. (ГБ). These are latin G and B.
Also look like the letter Ъ, but due to grammatical reasons, I exclude it as a probability.
Attachments
Desert Prince,Kodiak, Buck Creek 049.JPG
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

The saw blade is thinner on the back, right?
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Eustace wrote:The saw blade is thinner on the back, right?
yes it is thinner on the top side . thanks for the help I usually can find out when & who made the knife this one has me stumped . ::shrug::
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

If we define the knife made in the first half of the 20th century, then the countries using the Cyrillic alphabet are 3 - Bulgaria, Serbia and the USSR. Nearest geneticist to Bulgarian peoples - Croats and Romanians - for political and religious reasons pass to the Latin alphabet earlier in the 18th and 19th centuries. For a number of reasons, the knife can not be Russian. Serbian pocket knife I have never seen - neither old nor new. It is possible that this is a knife produced in Germany or France, ordered by a Bulgarian merchant.
The photo below is a small saw in my collection. In my opinion, the blade is very similar to the shown above. The grind is opposite, the thickest of the saw's teeth, and thin to the back. Tang stamp is "С.Ж.Дацов и Сие" (S.Z.Datsov &Co.) Sava Zhivkov Datsov (1857-1940) is a distinguished Bulgarian scientist, economist, academician, public figure and patriot. He is also an agronomist, trader and industrialist. Provider of the royal botanical garden. He lost five sons in the First World War, and his daughter died of a disease. He bequeaths all his property at the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences.
But he is not a manufacturer. This saw was ordered with his logo, most probably a producer in Germany, somewhere in the early 20th century.
Attachments
С.Ж.2jpg.jpg
С.Ж.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Eustace we are fortunate to have you posting here. Knowledge of Eastern European countries is very low in North America so your posts are helpful, 'new knowledge' for most of us. Not only do you know about knives, history & politics, your English seems perfect to me as your posts read as if English is your mother tongue.
kj
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Thank you, kj, but the truth is, my English is pretty bad. I work in a multinational company, and communicate daily in English. I understand everything said and written, I can talk so-so, but always write with the help of translation programs. I only edit the translated if it does not look good to me.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Made in France, IMO.

Here's one of several I have.
Attachments
ad1_zpsb702aed0.jpg
AAPK Janitor
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

kootenay joe wrote:Eustace we are fortunate to have you posting here. Knowledge of Eastern European countries is very low in North America so your posts are helpful, 'new knowledge' for most of us. Not only do you know about knives, history & politics, your English seems perfect to me as your posts read as if English is your mother tongue.
kj
Absolutely we are fortunate. Very interesting to have someone who can shed some light on things that we Americans know little or nothing about.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:
kootenay joe wrote:Eustace we are fortunate to have you posting here. Knowledge of Eastern European countries is very low in North America so your posts are helpful, 'new knowledge' for most of us. Not only do you know about knives, history & politics, your English seems perfect to me as your posts read as if English is your mother tongue.
kj
Absolutely we are fortunate. Very interesting to have someone who can shed some light on things that we Americans know little or nothing about.
We are also fortunate to have people like Dimitri (Millerbros.) and Ray( Knife7nut ) who have 3 or 4 of everything and can show us what we don't know. :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

I'm not sure we have pin this one down but I have learned a lot. Thanks for all the info ::ds::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think it is 'pinned down' to most likely France and some time ago, before any of us were born.
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”