Junk/antique store Queen

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Junk/antique store Queen

Post by treefarmer »

On our trip to Panama City today, Miss Joy suggested we go to one of the junk stores we hadn't visited in probably 6 months, looking for green glass and knives. :) This is the same place I found my #49 Stockman several years ago. Lots of new stuff to see and in one of those rotisserie display cases I saw an old Barlow that looked interesting. One of the ladies opened the cabinet and fished out this old Queen. I knew right away I had to buy this one. I asked her if the owner would negotiate and she said make an offer. Bingo, only catch was it couldn't be on my credit card. I love my monthly points. ::mdm::
All that to say, Bruno has Identified it as a #22. The tang stamp, the "Q" laying on its' side indicates it is at least 63 years old (1952-55). I spent the evening watching Fox News with an old T shirt, a can of Mothers and my Queen Barlow. The steel bolsters had more serious rust spots than the blades. It appears the pen has never had a whet rock on it. The clip isn't missing much metal but has some scratches where it was drug over something.
I'm pleased to own another old Queen, with 1/2 stops, that is solid and snaps like a gator!
Treefarmer
After an hour or so of Fox News and Mothers Mag.
After an hour or so of Fox News and Mothers Mag.

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
FRJ

Re: Junk/antique store Queen

Post by FRJ »

That 's a great looking knife, treefarmer. ::tu:: ::tu::
Joe
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Very nice!! :)
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Awesome find Phil
:)
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
bdev

Post by bdev »

Those Queen Barlows, from way back when, are great knives. Yours is a very good example.
Like you said, it is a #22 pattern and the #23 pattern uses a spear as its main blade. Queen also made the #25 which is one of those "one arm openers".
Their #27 barlow used a sheepfoot main blade.
The 22, 23 and 25 used both the steel and aluminium frames. I believe the 27 only used aluminum.
The #60 pattern was a single blade (aluminum frame).

Bruno

PS.....treefarmer.....you should cross post it in the Barlow thread.
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=52947&p=583492&hil ... ow#p583492
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Knics score Philip!!! ::ds:: ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

But did Miss Joy get any green glass? Nice knife.
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

Nice grab. Luv these stories of these great finds.
-Tim
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Thanks for the comments, fellers! This ol' gal is the real deal, I'm almost tempted to sharpen it and put in my pocket. I have a rehandled Queen Barlow with the aluminum frame, Jerryd sent it my way several years ago, it feels so light you are afraid it might break if you did much with it.
Miss Joy has a great collection of green glass and now looks for something special that would fit in with her "stuff". She has seen the value of certain pieces increase to the point that it would be ridiculous to pay $20-$30 for a green iced tea glass that was once given away with a box of tea bags. ::shrug:: She didn't find anything yesterday but was glad I found the old Queen. ::tu::
Treefarmer
A rose among the thorns.
A rose among the thorns.

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

treefarmer wrote:Thanks for the comments, fellers! This ol' gal is the real deal, I'm almost tempted to sharpen it and put in my pocket. I have a rehandled Queen Barlow with the aluminum frame, Jerryd sent it my way several years ago, it feels so light you are afraid it might break if you did much with it.
Miss Joy has a great collection of green glass and now looks for something special that would fit in with her "stuff". She has seen the value of certain pieces increase to the point that it would be ridiculous to pay $20-$30 for a green iced tea glass that was once given away with a box of tea bags. ::shrug:: She didn't find anything yesterday but was glad I found the old Queen. ::tu::
Treefarmer
DSCN4575.JPG
Nice glass, and I am sure that when you refered to the old Queen you were not referring to Miss Joy. Who you are really glad you found.

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”