Wusthof A&F

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
kootenay joe

Wusthof A&F

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a 5 1/2" Clasp type knife with a locking mechanism, blade is marked "Ed Wusthof" over the Trident logo. The blade flat has an etch that looks like "A & F"
Is this an Ambercrombie & Fitch knife ? If so coes the style of "A & F" give a clue as to age ?
What is the name for this type of blade lock ? The lever folds back and lies flush against the handle when blade full open. Swing it forward until brass lever touches blade spine to release blade.
And, what is this wood ? Looks like Snakewood on a GEC knife i have, but was Snakewood in use way back when ?
Much appreciate any help, kj
Attachments
IMGP4131.JPG
IMGP4117 (1).JPG
knife7knut

Re: Wusthof A&F

Post by knife7knut »

Not sure if that logo is Abercrombie & Fitch but it's a possibility. I have heard that type of lock mechanism referred to as either a "top lock" or "fulcrum lock".
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Yes, that is an Abercrombie & Fitch etch without a doubt. I have seen it or have it on knives from the late 1930s-1940s, don't know if it was used earlier. Some folks call that a lever lock.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks for this help. Does the Abercrombie & Fitch connection increase the value of a knife ?
And, any idea as to what tree donated part of itself for these quite striking handles ?
kj
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

That is a strikingly good looking knife Roland and clean. That one looks like it was made for working and the wood is wonderful. Awesome.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Not a wood expert by any means. Here in the States there are definitely people who collect A&F knives specifically so I would have to say there would likely be an extra value on it above just the maker's name and type of knife. I have gotten a premium on some A&F marked knives I have sold which were made by Russell and Union Cut.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Gunsil wrote:Not a wood expert by any means. Here in the States there are definitely people who collect A&F knives specifically so I would have to say there would likely be an extra value on it above just the maker's name and type of knife. I have gotten a premium on some A&F marked knives I have sold which were made by Russell and Union Cut.
My only Abercrombie & Fitch knife.
Attachments
A&F96.jpg
A&F97.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wow, that's a special knife ?
Sheffield ? maybe 1920's (wild guess) ? handle is hard rubber ?
kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

kootenay joe wrote:Wow, that's a special knife ?
Sheffield ? maybe 1920's (wild guess) ? handle is hard rubber ?
kj
Handle is checkered horn.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”