Confused

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
boykinlp

Confused

Post by boykinlp »

They say there are no stupid questions. But, I am really confused. How are Great Eastern Cutlery, Northfield Cutlery, and Tidioute Cutlery related, or how do they work together? Please enlighten me. Thanks.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: Confused

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Just different lines of products from the same company. Dodge, Plymouth & Chrysler.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

What Suitcase said.

Great Eastern Cutlery is the parent company.
Northfield Cutlery is their premium line with all the fancy touches like a blade Swedge and Stag handles
Tidioute Cutlery is their standard line
GEC (Great Eastern) is their line that has stainless steel blades
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Hi Larry,

The main GEC site is here:
http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/

And you can learn about the GEC brands here, a good read for history buffs:
http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/abo ... ur-brands/

GEC also has a .com site but there's not much on it and it mostly points back to the blog. You'll get my Gold Star Award if you can find the link to the .com site from the blog.

Enjoy!

Lee
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Now I'm confused. I asked that very same question directly to GEC and they told me that Northfield was the "parent company" followed by Great Eastern and Tidioute (which I still don't know how to pronounce).

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

XX Case XX wrote:Now I'm confused. I asked that very same question directly to GEC and they told me that Northfield was the "parent company" followed by Great Eastern and Tidioute (which I still don't know how to pronounce).

The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

jerryd6818 wrote:This is how it's pronounced
Thank you Sir. Most appreciated. ::nod::

_________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
TwoFlowersLuggage

Actually, it appears the "parent corporation" is actually the "Howard Daniels Corporation", which operates as "Great Eastern Cutlery".
http://www.buzzfile.com/business/Great- ... 4-827-3411
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

I always thought that Great Eastern Cutlery was the parent company. Thanks Jerry for the link to Tidioute pronunciation. Turns out I have been saying it correctly, on the very few occasions I have ever said it, but it is nice to know I am not wrong.
Mel
TwoFlowersLuggage

It is pretty common for there to be multiple legal entities in a corporate structure, most of which only exist on paper for the IRS. Brands are not always the same thing as corporate legal entities. From a brand perspective, I think the Great Eastern Cutlery Company (an operating company) produces 4 brands of knives: Farm & Field, Tidioute, GEC & Northfield
big monk

Post by big monk »

This is getting interesting ::hmm:: -- please continue guys ::paranoid::

here is a link that may answer some of your questions -- have a great day,my friends,Monk*** :) ::tu::

https://www.collectorknives.net/posts/g ... et-knives/

Another note**** Ken Daniels shares were bought out by Bill Howard,December 30, 2011 and Bill Howard became the owner & CEO of GEC alone** -- as you may know,__ Ken Daniels bought the rights to the Tuna Valley Label & later purchased Queen ( which has now shut down )
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
TwoFlowersLuggage

big monk wrote: Another note**** Ken Daniels shares were bought out by Bill Howard,December 30, 2011 and Bill Howard became the owner & CEO of GEC alone** -- as you may know,__ Ken Daniels bought the rights to the Tuna Valley Label & later purchased Queen ( which has not shut down )
Excellent! What do you mean by "which has not shut down"? I thought the production was stopped and all the employees put on furlough?
bladebuddy

Post by bladebuddy »

I think Big Monk was referring to the Tuna Valley brand when he wrote " (which has not shutdown )".

When I talked to Ryan Daniels last weekend at the Lehigh Valley knife show Easton PA, he said they had every intention of keeping the Tuna Valley brand going. Sure hope they do!
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Re read Monks post. He said "which has now shut down."
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
big monk

Post by big monk »

sorry for the typing error :oops: --- Queen has shut their doors________ is what I was referring too** ___ hope the info was useful**

I was one of the"old guys" that got into the GEC craze,during the early years** ( there were only 6 or7 dealers -- try getting on the list,when they were only going to make 25 pcs. or less !!!!) the dealers were not sure how many knives, they would get,back then** _ I know a lot of ""new guys to GEC"" wonder why,___ they don't always make enough knives for those who want them,don't always stick to a 'rigid" production schedule, and seem to keep everyone in suspense to the next ""wow knife"" they are working on ???? _________ but this has always been the mystic of the company ::paranoid:: -- the awe to collect these knives, the reason they are highly sought after** and the after-market prices seem to sky-rocket !!!!!! ___ they also have kept the ""QUALITY"" of the knives high ,and only make what the staff / family can make ( no out sourcing ) -- to me,GEC still makes the best American made knives available & hoping they keep things "Ol'Fashion" & exciting for all you folks^^^^ enjoy your hobby to the fullest and I wish you all the best __ Monk ::tu::
PS___need to put a GEC knife photo in this thread to keep in line :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Attachments
IMG_2679 (2).JPG
IMG_2722.JPG
gec_23_stag.jpg

MONK****
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Everyone, thanks for the information. It seems I asked a question that even some of the experienced collectors are confused about. Big monk, I would love to know the story about how you first found out about Great Eastern Cutlery (PM me if you want). It is really cool to think about getting in on the ground floor. You obviously knew a winner when you saw it!

I have just started knife collecting after many years of gun collecting. I had limited my purchases to stag Case knives. Then.....I started reading about Great Eastern Cutlery. WOW, they make a quality product. I now have bought 2. I have received one already and will get the second one next week. I am trying to learn all I can about them.

BTW, big monk, love your paw avatar! I am a Clemson grad, I live in Greenville, and actually have been to 96.:)
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
big monk

Post by big monk »

Hey Larry -- GO TIGERS !!!!!!!! --- not a grad ,but "DIEHARD FAN" for the last 40++ years -- how about that baseball team this week-in ::ds::

A member of this forum "" Gunstock Jack"" aka Barry Johnson, sorta introduced me to GEC,a few years after the company got started, and I just ran with it -- I fell in love with the #73 pattern and still have a few that I carry most everyday now** ___ I researched,studied,contacted the then few dealers,___ bought a lot of the older knives,before they got really popular** I got very lucky & bought an entire collection from one of the very first dealer's wife after he passed*** ( had quite a few first production,& short run knives in that bunch**) __ I even traded my older 70's, Case knives for the older GEC's*** :)

Where you have been collecting guns for years and now going toward the knives -- I'm the other way around -- have sold most all my GEC's & bought guns ::shrug:: I still visit this great site and keep up with the knife stuff somewhat,but more into other interest now. Lots of good folks on here that will share info & help you with about anything you need. Have a great day my friend, & GO TIGERS !!!!!___ Monk ::tu::
Attachments
Clemson_2.png

MONK****
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Monk,
The baseball team did have a good weekend series.

You must have had quite a GEC collection. I thought maybe you had a "honey hole" in 96. :shock: What guns are you interested in?

The stag handles that Great Eastern uses is spectacular compared to what other companies use. I can literally look at pictures of stag handled knives for hours. I guess I have a sickness.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
big monk

Post by big monk »

I must like the Browning BAR's ::hmm:: I now have one in just about every caliper,although the first one I acquired in 270 is my favorite**

If you have a hunger for stag -- the GEC stag on the 2008 /2009 /2010 is some of the best years !!! ( the Red Stag was awesome !!! ) Check out some of the photos,I posted during ""my prime"" knifing days :) ____ my favorites were the #72,73,& 23 patterns ::tu::

app.php/gallery/album/133

MONK****
Gunstock Jack

Post by Gunstock Jack »

I still have quite a few early models in my 'assortment' of GEC's. I especially like the older stag and all of the various patterns in various wood covers, which amount to quite a number (thankfully, I don't have 'em all!). ::hmm::
Barry

Great Eastern Cutlery distributor: http://www.gunstockjacksknives.com
Contact me: info@gunstockjacksknives.com
big monk

Post by big monk »

Gunstock Jack wrote:I still have quite a few early models in my 'assortment' of GEC's. I especially like the older stag and all of the various patterns in various wood covers, which amount to quite a number (thankfully, I don't have 'em all!). ::hmm::
Mention a name and_________________________________________________ ::ds::

HEY BARRY !!! *(aka Gunstock Jack ) --- thought I would say hello to my Ol' Friend,since you don't come outa' the woods much :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Long run from Poulsbo,Washington to Ninety Six,South Carolina -- hope you & yours are well -- good to hear from ya' ---- Monk ::tu::

MONK****
Gunstock Jack

Post by Gunstock Jack »

Hey Monk, my old friend! Just got back from the OKCA Knife Show in Eugene. Here I am with Knowtracks and Waynorth:
IMG_6690.JPG
Then, for a break, went and hung out at the beach!
IMG_6740.JPG
Catchin' a few Red Tail Surf Perch:
IMG_6746.JPG
An' diggin' a few Razor Clams!
IMG_6751.JPG
Attachments
IMG_6688.JPG
Barry

Great Eastern Cutlery distributor: http://www.gunstockjacksknives.com
Contact me: info@gunstockjacksknives.com

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”