Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe

Re: Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

Post by kootenay joe »

I have three new GEC's to show. This is a lot for me as my GEC buying is usually only a few per year.
First up is a #43 with Stag handles. Excellent knife because everything is just as it should be. Thank You GEC !
kj
Edit to add: KSF included a buffalo leather pocket slip as a surprise gift. Thank you KSF.
Attachments
IMGP3830.JPG
IMGP3831.JPG
IMGP3832.JPG
IMGP3835.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

And here is a new #13 Swayback Whittler, also with Stag. Again, nice easy but not soft, pulls, no play and good snaps. Compliments again to GEC, Well Done !
kj
Attachments
IMGP3843.JPG
IMGP3844.JPG
IMGP3845.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

And, number three, my favorite here, 2007, #73 with caps, Tidioute in Chocolate Bone. What a nice knife ! And made when only open for a few months. I love the clean look of the flush & square joints and the caps add a touch of class to this pattern, as well as helping to protect bone when dropped.
kj
Attachments
IMGP3840.JPG
IMGP3841.JPG
IMGP3842.JPG
IMGP3834.JPG
IMGP3836.JPG
IMGP3837.JPG
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Some Impressive pickups Kj ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Gorgeous stag on your new calf roper Greg, good score. ::tu::

You scored some real beauties also KJ, I think that chocolate bone tidioute is my favorite of the three. ::tu::
Greg
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

gsmith, love that Calf Roper, should have known it was formerly a KJ piece because of the museum quality. KJ, as always, out of the park. Sweet ones all around on this beautiful page, wow.
Visited the annual OKCA knife show and picked up a couple GECs in Eugene, Oregon. Rained and rained, maybe that's why the U of O mascot is a duck. Wild ride and great show. Nice people, great knives, beautiful scenery, all around a treat for the day. Bought these from the great Charlie Compagna himself, and he was so cool he even offered to sign the tubes on this absolutely beautiful TC Barlow with incredible Soup Bone scales and cool little TC etch. What a treat hanging out with Charlie and Gunstock Jack's Barry. And thanks for the knives guys, happy as a clam I am. Also saw a guy there selling ivory tusks. Most of these pictured are Walrus. I thought they banned the sale of Elephant ivory. Apparently it's not being enforced as I saw more than one E. Ivory piece being sold and one of these tusks is Elephant. They weren't even trying to hide it. Beautiful stuff though.
Attachments
WP_20180407_007.jpg
WP_20180407_014.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
carvin don
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by carvin don »

Those are some fine looking knives, Ivoryman ... Charlie is good people. That's a handsome looking Farmer Jack you've got there too! I need to get out more ... nice haul and thanks for the pics.
Don
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Good to 'see' you Don. You've been conspicuously missing for a good while. I hope you will hang around for a while.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Interesting about the open selling of ivory. Online dealers no longer use the word 'ivory' in the description of ivory handled knives. Maybe this degree of concern that an ivory handled knife could be confiscated is not necessary ?
kj
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Received my 77 barlow today, what a gorgeous knife.
Attachments
IMG_8563.jpg
IMG_8564.jpg
IMG_8567.jpg
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Good score John. It's a beauty!
David
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

JohnR wrote:Received my 77 barlow today, what a gorgeous knife.
Good lookin knife.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I'm pretty happy today. :D
41470039862_e0850a501b_k.jpg
41470040792_18f20f87b1_k.jpg
41469132212_97dc571be4_k.jpg
39702024130_96caf9a271_k.jpg
40797903014_e5ef86c00d_k.jpg
26640797107_d770a88999_k.jpg
40618197615_a75360b9eb_k.jpg
The ironwood is everything I'd hoped for. ::ds::

The camel bone seems to take the elderberry dye in a way that accentuates the red, plus with that uneven absorption camel bone is famous for, the knife does a good job approximating what Case was doing with the smooth rose bone knives of the early '80s. John's example is almost a cross between this and a red Appaloosa. I dig it. ::tu::

The Schrade has some slight wobble on the secondary blade -- first GEC I've encountered with this flaw -- and I'm considering seeking a replacement, though the dealer did warn in the listing that it was one of GEC's early "learning attempts". I realize the knife spent 11 years in a box but I'm kind of OCD about these things. Maybe I'll just contact GEC and see if they'll tighten it up some for me... ::shrug:: It might be too nice to return.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Beauties both you guys. That red jumps out. Sweet pattern and styling too. Congrats both of you.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have had a few of the Fire & Ice in both sizes. None had any blade play. These were made either towards end of 2006 or very early 2007 (my opinion, open for correction). All were pretty well 'right on' in all aspects. Pull is stiff but nowhere near being a nail breaker. Those who like stiffer springs would likely judge these as 'just right'.
If i had your knife with 'slight play', i would pad it and give it a 'slight squeeze' in my 'slight vise'.
This has worked for me but since i really don't know what i am doing, i am not recommending it.
kj
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Ok, we're starting to see the 77 SFO pics we've been waiting for! Thanks for sharing, and you've got some nice hardware there, gents. Very unique, surely to be enjoyed for years to come. Congrats.

Lee
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

77 ironwood
20180419_144230_HDR_Film3.jpg
Attachments
20180419_144201_HDR_Film3.jpg
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Very nice! ::tu:: I suspect it'll be a long while before I see an Ironwood 77 I don't fall in love with. 8)

I wonder where all the smooth rose bone (err, Elderberry Camel Bone :lol: ) knives went to. ::paranoid:: Hoping the pump-and-dumpers didn't fixate on that variation to ruin the secondary market for normal collectors or users. These knives should be seen out and about.

I'm still waiting to see the first 77 scroll by on the AAPK store banner so I can find out what the "pump" is gonna be on this run. ::barf::
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Was a nice day yesterday. I briefly held the 77 Unicornwood, err Ironwood but traded it off. A fantastic knife, the new owner will be proud and completed the set for him.
20180419_144201_HDR_Film3.jpg
This next one is not going anywhere. For me, its a just rigt knife. Excellent size for my xl hands, nice walk and talk, around a 6 pull, and the stag. Wonderful job. Slight swell at the butt end, good character and fairly narrow as I like.
Attachments
20180420_192840_HDR_Film3-1.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Robobus ,I guess you saw that stag 43 go for $430 on Ebay today.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Yes I did. I wouldn't pay anywhere near that much myself. However, if someone contacts me with a similar offer they will still be looking. I am that way with most of my collection. That make me Gollum I wonder?
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

robbobus wrote:Yes I did. I wouldn't pay anywhere near that much myself. However, if someone contacts me with a similar offer they will still be looking. I am that way with most of my collection. That make me Gollum I wonder?
I have one on the way that I traded for. It's not going anywhere either. Gollum we shall be. :D
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

35 Churchill for a knife liking girl
Attachments
WP_20180416_049.jpg
WP_20180416_053.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I like that Churchill and i am not a girl.
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

This one came in today. The receiving end of a swap I made with Kj. Some bodacious stag on this 43. ::super_happy::
Attachments
011.JPG
010.JPG
008.JPG
012.JPG
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”