Anyone Tried A Pacific Salt Spyderco ?

A place to discuss modern tactical knives like Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, CRKT, and more.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Anyone Tried A Pacific Salt Spyderco ?

Post by philco »

Something keeps making me look at those Pacific Salt Spydies on ebay. I suspect its the yellow handles doing it but I can't be sure. At any rate I've been fighting the temptation to pull the trigger on one for way too long now. Just wondering if anyone here has one and if so, what they think of it. Also wonder if there's a partially serrated version available. All I see on ebay is straight edge or fully serrated.

What say ye AAPK bretheren ?
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
gino

Re: Anyone Tried A Pacific Salt Spyderco ?

Post by gino »

Phil, I have been eyeing them as well, talk to Josh (junebug) as he knows quite a bit about Spydies.
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Phil, Josh commented back in February that he had a used fully serrated Salt (yellow handles) he might be willing to part with. You might check with him to see if he still has it.

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... lt#p445943
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Thanks Jerry. My first preference would be a partially serrated blade if one is available. If not, I'd opt for the straight edge. I don't think I'd be happy with a fully serrated blade even though I know they cut like crazy.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
junebug

Post by junebug »

no partial......

a ton of talk about the fully serrated vs plain edge online
most feel serrated holds edge WAY better. ::nod::

i say ehhhhh it does, but only by a tad- IN MY EXPERIENCE. ::undecided:: ::shrug::

THE H1 BLADE STEEL = WORK HARDENING (it gets harder as is is worked/sharpened/used)
which lends to the serrated holds better as the working of serrations into steel would make the edge harder ::paranoid:: ::shrug:: :mrgreen: , i guess.

clips are titanium

there ARE fakes out there of these!!!! BEWARE!

THE BLACK BLADES = COATING SCUFFS EASIER THAN I THOUGHT IT WOULD :shock: ::nod:: ::undecided::

can be had in delica or endura frame size....and even with a hawkbill errrr sheepfoot RESCUE style blade shape..........

NICE KNIVES

I PERSONALLY WOULDN'T BUY ONE UNLESS I WAS GONNA BE IN OCEAN/SALT WATER
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Phil, it may not be what you're looking for but BenchMade makes what they call their 'Dive Knife' in a partially serrated model.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N8 ... SA7D0W728Z

"Benchmade's new 111H2O is great for all water activities. The modified sheepsfoot style and N680 corrosion resistant blade steel will make sure you keep ample edge retention. The patented AXIS locking mechanism and ambidextrous thumb-studs allows for quick, reliable deployment. ComboEdge. N680 Material is a chromium-molybdenum conventionally produced stainless steel with the addition of vanadium and nitrogen. Excellent corrosion resistance properties, especially in salt water. Good hardenability and high obtainable hardness. High wear resistance and ability to preserve keenness. Yellow Molded Handle."
Attachments
BM111SH2OYEL.jpg
BM111SH2OYEL.jpg (73.97 KiB) Viewed 8253 times
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

junebug wrote:THE H1 BLADE STEEL = WORK HARDENING (it gets harder as is is worked/sharpened/used)
Just curious, does Spyderco tout this as a selling point?
Joe
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Well it's taken me a while but I finally pulled the trigger on a used Pacific Salt on ebay. It arrived in the mail today. The knife is similar in profile to the Stretch model I like so well, but it's bigger......maybe a tad too big, we'll see. Bugster has me skered it's a fake but hopefully it's the real deal. For whatever it's worth, it did come with the original box.
Attachments
Pacific Salt.JPG
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Looks like a nice knife. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Anyone Tried A Pacific Salt Spyderco ?its

Post by philco »

It is a good knife but just a smidgen too big for front pocket carry.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Phil it looks good. I like the color, I'm partial to yellow knives probably because of al those yellow CASE knives around these parts. And I live the blade shape too.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of it after using it for a while.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

Phil, I got one just like that a few months back, haven't carried it yet though. I typically carry their UKPK in right rear pocket. I also have the small salt knife (dragonfly? Ladybug?) but got full serrated on it years ago. I wish they had a salt the size of the UKPK, it fits my hand and pocket just right.
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
Phaeton

Post by Phaeton »

This knife has been carried for a while. With a 1-11/16" long blade it fits in the watchpocket of my jeans. The clip goes to a belt loop so it does not get lost, also makes it easy to pull out.
Smallest Spyderco with H1 steel, clips on belt loop, fits in watchpocket.JPG
The blade is absolutely corrosion proof so far. It has been resharpened three times now. The advertised hardness is RC 64. I find that hard to take serious, I had a ZPD189 blade with a hardness of 67 that actually was hard. I have some katanas with Rockwells in the sixties.
This little Spyderco is not in their class, it is much closer to 440A. But then again, boil the H1 steel for a week or two in salt water and it will come out shiny as it went in.
One and eleven sixteenths inch blade can take weeks of boiling salt water.JPG
All in all I am happy with it even though I was hoping for a knife that would take a finer edge than this does.

Return to “Modern Tactical Knives”