FRENCH SWITCHBLADE ?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Unclebob

FRENCH SWITCHBLADE ?

Post by Unclebob »

I found this interesting knife at an Antiques Fair; the seller said it had come with a WW2 British Officers estate. I believe it is French, with INOX one side of the minimal ricasso and Bte ***** on the other. It's a little worn and doesn't close completely, but the spring mech works fine.
It's 8 1/2" overall, with a 4" blade.
Is it old enough to be 1940's ?
Attachments
DSCF8015.JPG
DSCF8008.JPG
DSCF8010.JPG
DSCF8011.JPG
DSCF8014.JPG
knife7knut

Re: FRENCH SWITCHBLADE ?

Post by knife7knut »

WOW! Neat old knife! I would agree that it is French due to the use of screws to hold it together. I have a couple of old French sailor's knives that feature screws for the blade pivot. The number looks like it might be a French patent number;probably for the release mechanism.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
stancaiman

Post by stancaiman »

surely French because the stamp on the blade "BTe S..." means " BTe SGDG" ie " Breveté Sans Garantie Du Gouvernement" (Brevet = Patent)
what i can say with this information is that this knife has been made beetween 1844 (beginning of this kind of stamping) and 1968 (ending of this stamping) :D
never seen this model
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

stancaiman wrote:surely French because the stamp on the blade "BTe S..." means " BTe SGDG" ie " Breveté Sans Garantie Du Gouvernement" (Brevet = Patent)
what i can say with this information is that this knife has been made beetween 1844 (beginning of this kind of stamping) and 1968 (ending of this stamping) :D
never seen this model
Stancaiman! Glad to see you posting again ;it's been awhile. Always glad to see your input.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
stancaiman

Post by stancaiman »

:D thank knife7knut
Unclebob

Post by Unclebob »

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. ::tu::
stancaiman

Post by stancaiman »

you're welcome, if you have the complete patent number you can try to find it in the european patent database : https://worldwide.espacenet.com/?locale=fr_ep
stancaiman

Post by stancaiman »

i'm curious of this knive, is it a automatic or just a level to unlock the blade ?
the shape look like modern "navette" knives ( see ISARINOX knive or BEGON knive or Douris Chastel knive for example )
but the majority of them have more than one blade.
Unclebob

Post by Unclebob »

This is an automatic knife, with a leaf spring in the recess for the blade.
There is a number on the blade, but it doesn't seem to flag up anything relative on the Patent site; 624.473
stancaiman

Post by stancaiman »

i don't find this ref in the databases
i think it's a "DOURIS CHASTEL" (see at the bottom of this link https://www.lecouteau.info/technique-te ... atiques-1/ )
DOURIS CHASTEL is "born" in 1942 but it's can be right with what you write at the beginning of this post
Unclebob

Post by Unclebob »

Many thanks, brilliant job of finding my knife, STANCAIMAN! Douris Chastel it is! It's good to hear that the story of my knife being a WW2 'bringback' could be right!
I have another French knife, that has been in my family for over 100 years (allegedly) so I'll do a new post for that one and see if you can confirm its age.

Return to “European-made knives”