How do you carry the 301?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Oldwolf

How do you carry the 301?

Post by Oldwolf »

I really like my 301, but have not found a way to pocket carry without printing. It is a large knife, as you know. My smaller knives are comfortably carried in the Watch pocket of my jeans. Alas, the 301 is way to big for this small pocket. How do you carry the 301?
Steve Warden

Re: How do you carry the 301?

Post by Steve Warden »

What do you mean by "printing"?
I carry mine in my front pocket with my keys.
Nope, not worried about getting worn.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Oldwolf

Post by Oldwolf »

Printing. Seeing the shape of the knife in my pocket.
It looks like I am carrying a large Bolt in my front right pocket.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Gotcha.
I don't worry about it. Along with my keys and nail clippers, just looks like I have stuff in my pocket, which is what pockets were made for.
To be truthful, I will carry a smaller, slimmer knife when wearing dress slacks or a suit.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Oldwolf wrote:Printing. Seeing the shape of the knife in my pocket.
It looks like I am carrying a large Bolt in my front right pocket.
Just remember Mae West had something to say about that! :lol:

The Buck 301 is 3-7/8 inches closed IIRC. The Case 6347, which they call a "medium stockman" is 4 inches. The Schrade 881 is also 4 inches. My conclusion is............your pants are too tight! ::sotb::

Do you live in a knife-paranoid city or state?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

An option I sometimes use is a leather or nylon belt case. The ones shown are a bit oversize for a 301, as I frequently use them for 4 1/4" trappers, but will work.
IMG_2169.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Put it in a "slip". That will break up the outline of the knife in your pocket. I think there are some guys who carry large folders in their hip pocket along side their wallet. ::shrug::
Attachments
Knife_in_Slip.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

Never could figure out how you sit down with a large folder in your back pocket.
Oldwolf

Post by Oldwolf »

NC is knife friendly.
Right now I have a 303 in my Watch pocket and it fits perfectly.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

tallguy606 wrote:Never could figure out how you sit down with a large folder in your back pocket.
I'm sitting on a 4-7/8 inch lockback as I type this. Carry it most days, back pocket alongside my wallet, and can't even tell it's there. If you sit on a wallet, you can sit on a knife alongside it. The wallet keeps the knife vertical in the pocket, so it doesn't slide down crossways into the bottom of the pocket. ::tu:: I prefer to attach a short lanyard to a knife with a bail or lanyard hole. But a clip works also and you don't need a wallet to keep the knife in the vertical orientation.

With large folders I find back pocket carry a LOT more comfortable than front pocket, and a lot easier to access your knife - no pocket junk in the way. Only way to know is, give it a try! ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Do you live in a knife-paranoid city or state?
It's called: C-A-L-I-F-O-R-N-I-A...

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

RFP.. Don't even know its there.. ::tu:: I will carry up to a CASE Trapper there too.. They are 4 1/8 in length.. I guess I really don't think about printing.. ::shrug:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Woodly

Post by Woodly »

I almost always have a CASE large coke bottle in my backpocket. I don't know its there until I need it. Its slim and fits right in. Fat stag would be different.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

As I don't like back pocket carry my pocketknives ride in my left front pocket regardless of size. I find jeans to be great for knives up to the Buck 307 Wrangler size (4-1/4"). For looser pants I prefer the Buck 303 size but am especially fond of the Case 6318. I don't worry about "printing". OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

I do not carry a 301, but I do carry a 4" Schrade or a GEC. I carry the knife in my left front pocket and in order to keep anyone from freaking out over my knife I carry a .22 magnum revolver in my right front pocket. I have been doing that for several years and so far no one has ever once mentioned the knife!
Attachments
pocket_carry.jpg
Mel
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

LFP = 4"-4 1/2" pocket knife and a can of Copenhagen.
RFP = SAK Spartan and keys with a Spyderco Military clipped to the pocket.
IWB = Commander size 1911 45 acp

I've never worried about printing, just wear looser britches it it bothers you. Me, I live for that moment some one says, "hey, you don't happen to have a ....... do you?" "Why yes I do!", says I!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

RFP.. Today!!! ::tu:: 8) John :D

deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

In my right hand pocket!
Keep Near the Cross.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Usually, I just dump it in my pocket (aside from the fact my 301 is a shelf queen due to it advertising a local quarry, but I do regularly carry a 303) but most large and jumbo Stockmen just go in the front left pocket. If it weren't for the cost (3 times what my Mexican-made belts from a local farm supply store have cost then add in $15 shipping), I'd buy one of these belts. The pouch measurement of 8 centimeters by 2 centimeters would roughly equate to 4"x1" which is around the same size as a 4" Stockman. With it, I'd have no worry about having a sheath slide off when my pants are hanging up on the over-the door hook in my room.

https://www.australiangear.com/akubra-l ... pouch.html
Oldwolf

Post by Oldwolf »

That's a very neat belt and a great solution to carrying the 301.

I have discovered that the 301 fits, a bit tightly though, in the watch pocket of my Lee jeans.
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

I have written of this in one of the 'other' forums. I principally took a leather slip, like the one shown above, and punched a hole in it and used my old Boy Scout skills and braided a lanyard into a loop that fit over your belt and the slip hung in your pocket at just the right height to stay against the hem side of your pocket, not on your bragging side. For many a year I carried a Buck slippy, usually a 303, in my uniform jeans watch pocket. I never needed a bigger knife to fight off grizzly bears or hack down trees. But all things change and we went up-scale and wore lighter weight cargo type pants with deep pockets and no watch pocket. Used the same method, until I was drawn in by the dark side and started carrying a Vantage with a clip. I retired and found my favorite pants to be the khaki "fisherman" pants with plenty of pockets. I took needle and thread in hand and as the pockets were loose and not sewn to pant legs, I made a pocket against the hem side of the pocket just long enough to hold the knife under the hem.
the only problem I saw was that it would fall out if I stood on my head and I cured that by never standing on my head again. 300Bucks ::huff::
UnderDawgAl

Post by UnderDawgAl »

300Bucks wrote:The only problem I saw was that it would fall out if I stood on my head and I cured that by never standing on my head again. 300Bucks ::huff::
Nice post all the way around, but the closer was the best.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

jmh58 wrote:RFP.. Today!!! ::tu:: 8) John :D

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

jmh58 wrote:RFP.. Today!!! ::tu:: 8) John :D