Rare Damascus Marbles Bowie

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
familyforge

Rare Damascus Marbles Bowie

Post by familyforge »

Does this look like genuine Damascus and does anyone know the year of this? Do you think $50 is too much to pay for it?
Any answers to this are greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Marbles Bowie.jpg
When you're the hammer; strike. Anvil; bear.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Rare Damascus Marbles Bowie

Post by Quick Steel »

familyforge: I have this knife. It is of course made in China. If you look at the spine of the blade you will not see the Damascus marking, just plain steel. Yet the blade does not look like the typical faux Damascus. I am not sure what method was used to create the appearance of Damascus. Maybe someone will come along who can help.

Value is I suppose always subjective. I find this a decently made knife. I do not consider $50 unreasonable.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

A bit more. It is not rare. Do not buy it as an investment. The original American Marbles are definitely collectible and of very fine quality. Unless the world turns upside down your pictured Bowie will likely depreciate not increase in value.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

If I had the knife in question in my hands, I could probably tell you if it is Damascus or not by a simple test with some chemicals (ferric chloride). but I cannot tell by a photo. Personally I would not spend $50 on it but that's just me. If it has real sambar stag on the handle, that alone would cost close to 50 bucks now days. If it was made to duplicate a real bowie type knife, I don't think they ever made one with Damascus, or at least I've never seen one. ::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
familyforge

Post by familyforge »

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the quick replies. I guess the only question that I would have now would be for you, Quicksteel or someone else who owns one of these. Is the handle genuine Sambar Stag? Thanks, guys. As always you fellas are a world of help ::tu::
When you're the hammer; strike. Anvil; bear.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

The handle certainly appears to be Stag. But as to its being Sambar, that seems to be very unlikely, However, I have no way of being sure.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I wouldn't doubt the handle is genuine stag of some type and the steel some type of Damascus as well. Not my type of knife but it appears to be a lot of knife for $50.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

I would lean more towards it being Elk rather then Sambar stag.

JMHO

WB

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”