buffing / light sanding

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
familyforge

buffing / light sanding

Post by familyforge »

Is there a decent machine out there I could use to sand and buff my blades with? One with a wheel on each side would be great but not necessary.
It doesn't have to be new either and probably won't be because I only have about $100 to spend. Just wondering because if I can win an eBay auction cheap or if I can pick something up at a flea market or tag sale, what name, model should I look for. Any help or ideas are appreciated.
When you're the hammer; strike. Anvil; bear.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: buffing / light sanding

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I have no idea, but you might try looking through this sticky thread in the Repair forum:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3859
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Here is an old buffer, my dad made this one years ago, he used a washing machine motor which is about 1735 RPMs.
Homemade buffer.jpg

Here are some different views of my most recent buffer that I made.
The motor is about 1735 RPMs and the step down spindles allow me to adjust the speed even lower.
The buffer assembly came from Grizzly Tools, about $130 with shipping. The motor is a Craftsman that I picked up at an estate sale for $5 or $10.
DIY Buffer a.jpg
DIY Buffer b.jpg
DIY Buffer c.jpg
I also have a 1 HP Jet buffer that is 1735 RPMs. I don't think there made anymore but I think it was around $250 when it was new. I have had it for about 10 years now.
Big Buffer b.JPG
I had a Harbor Freight buffer but it was 3500 RPM and was way too fast for my purposes.

My Grizzly knife grinder has a buffer on one end which does come in quite handy. Check Grizzly for current price, I've had this for years and I think the price is about doubled on the machine from when I bought mine.
Normally I keep a ScotchBrite wheel on it to debur and knock the rust off of old metal objects. :mrgreen:
grinder.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Would a speed control attachment like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/router-sp ... 43060.html work to lower the speed of the inexpensive buffers from 3500 down to 1750?

Or, how about something like this? It says it goes down to 2000 RPMs:
https://www.amazon.com/VARIABLE-POLISHE ... B00OTWHYVI
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I don’t know about the controllers other than it was my impression that they tended to cause lower horsepower motors to burn out. I don’t know if that’s true or not that is just something I seem to remember being told at some point in time.

As to the other jewelry buffer, it might work, but 2000 RPM is the slowest it will go and I imagine at that speed it would tend to bog down pretty quickly if you are exerting much pressure on the wheel.

There are some Baldor dental buffing lathes on eBay, pricing condition is all over the place and it may take some creativity to be able to adapt them to knife buffing but I think it’s quite possible.
Here is one example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Baldor-Lathe-f ... SwdPtau-6F

This one is to speed and it has a quick change spindle on the end:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Baldor ... SwwZtaiOkk

I think the 1/6 hp is plenty strong enough. In the cutlery store we used a ¼ HP Baldor buffer similar in configuration to my Jet buffer although the spindles were not quite as long. The biggest problem I foresee with using the dental type buffer is if you are using a 4 inch wheel, the motor will probably be in the way when you are polishing a knife. I would think that motor would accommodate a 6 inch wheel with no problems and that should put the work above the motor housing.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

I have a old Foredom jewelry and watch case buffer with a slide speed control. Much of any pressure against the buff causes it too slow down. As for home made, some time ago folks were finding used treadmills with the G.E. variable speed motors to use on the Harbor Freight type metal lathes as replacement motors. Could sometimes find them along the roadside or a few dollars at yard sales. Bob
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

Here is my home made buffer for sharpening wood carving tools. Unit was off of a conveyor for $10. Now that's speed control! ::tu::
Attachments
20180407_152946.jpg
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Sears had or has a buffer for under $100.00.

Harold
familyforge

Post by familyforge »

Man oh Man, You fellas gave me plenty of options and a big THANKS to all of you. I realized after I posted this that it was probably not the right forum for it, so thanks again for checking out my question and the wealth of great replies. ::tu::
When you're the hammer; strike. Anvil; bear.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

You're just fine posting in this forum. We are not sticklers here. You asked a question and members have answered, so what's not to love ?
:wink:
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Looking at all of these buffing setups gives me a few chills up and down my spine. I have mine set up with a steady rest for the blade to rest upon while I'm buffing.In my opinion it helps if the blade happens to get caught in the wheel which happens more often than you think.
I used to buff without one until one day I let my concentration lapse for a fraction of a second and the knife caught in the wheel and sent it down(at warp speed)to the floor right between my feet!
Brought to mind the story of a knife maker who was buffing a knife in his shop and the knife caught in the wheel and embedded itself in his thigh and nicked his femoral artery. If his neighbor hadn't been out in his yard and heard his screams he likely would have bled to death on the spot. ::dang::
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”