A Knife Exchange Among AAPK Friends

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

A Knife Exchange Among AAPK Friends

Post by deo-pa »

Back in January Santiago from Argentina posted about his marlin spike knife collection (viewtopic.php?f=44&t=55451&hilit=argentina).

An interesting discussion ensued about Gaucho and other Argentinian knives. Santiago and I had a PM exchange, and we decided that I'd send him one of my marlin spikes and he would send me a Gaucho knife.

Well the exchange finally took place. I ended up sending two knives and he did as well. Here is the PM Santiago sent me after receiving my knives; it also describes the knives he sent me:
hi Dennis, apologize about not anwser your messages but I was out of my city a long time. Last week received your beatufull knives, you sent me 2 ! Thank you. This morning sent you a box with 2 knives, the Ju-Ca and the La Movediza.

The mark Ju-Ca came from the first letter of the founders names (Juan - John in english and Carlos -Charles) this factory stars to produce in the middle of 50´s decade.
Tha mark La Movediza reference to an tourist site in Tandil. Tandil is the place where the main factorys begin the history of knifemaking in Argentina.

From wikipedia "he name of the city comes from the Mapuche words tan ("falling"), and lil ("rock"). It is probably a reference to the Piedra Movediza ("Moving Stone"), a large boulder which stood seemingly miraculously balanced on the edge of a rocky foothill.[5] In order to demonstrate the slight movements of the boulder, it was common practice to place bottles or some other things under its base to watch them shatter.[citation needed] The "Moving Stone" toppled on February 29, 1912, and split into two pieces at the bottom of the hill."

Both knives are small, blade length around 10cm, handle and sheath are silvernickel, in spanish alpaca.

Hope you like this knives and use it, are sharped....
Best wishes, your argentine friend

Santiago
The attached photo shows the knives he sent me (the one on top is the Ju-Ca). He also sent along a a picture with his son.

Another great example of the ability to make friends through this hobby.

Dennis
Attachments
Cuchilla (Gaucho Knives-Argentina).jpg
Santiago & Son.jpg
Santiago & Son.jpg (40.5 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: A Knife Exchange Among AAPK Friends

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

That's awesome!!

Now all we have to do is get Putin & Trump to become pocket knife collectors... ::idea::
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
claywall

Post by claywall »

Great story, deo-pa; thanks for sharing. The scabbards/sheaths are as good-looking as the knives. Wonder what kind of hatchet his son is holding?
kenb

Post by kenb »

That is so cool. Its good to see things like this. There is so much good out there, and most of the time you only see the bad.
Ken
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

Very cool !
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
asigarza

Post by asigarza »

Thanks...Dennis for your words. This hobby its much than a hobby is a way for friendship...hope use an enjoy the knives
asigarza

Post by asigarza »

Hi Claywall...my son holds a rail nail hatchet that I made for him
http://www.santiagoigarza.com.ar/main/i ... ategory/13
claywall wrote:Great story, deo-pa; thanks for sharing. The scabbards/sheaths are as good-looking as the knives. Wonder what kind of hatchet his son is holding?
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

asigarza wrote:Hi Claywall...my son holds a rail nail hatchet that I made for him
claywall wrote:Great story, deo-pa; thanks for sharing. The scabbards/sheaths are as good-looking as the knives. Wonder what kind of hatchet his son is holding?
Very cool, That is a really interesting hatchet. Good job.
asigarza

Post by asigarza »

::tu::
doglegg wrote:
asigarza wrote:Hi Claywall...my son holds a rail nail hatchet that I made for him
Very cool, That is a really interesting hatchet. Good job.
eveled

Post by eveled »

"Rail Nail". That's awesome. We call them rail road spikes. "Rail Nail" sounds so much better! Nice hatchet too.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”