Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

Post by robbobus »

KJ, the 13 whittler is an underappreciated GEC. That looks like a nice one, I finished runner-up to yourself. Enjoy, if you don't, send me a pm. :D
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Robbobus. Seller did not give a picture to see how thick the handle pieces are but i think they are fairly thin. Fat stag would make for an Ugly knife. GEC does not have "Production Totals" posted for 2017 so i don't know how many of these #13 Congress Whittlers in stag are 'out there'.
I was prepared to pay quite a bit more than i did. If you really want one i think a higher bid for the next one is needed. I can see these selling around $150. 3 5/8" is a sweet size so it should be quite a desirable knife. Maybe it just needs to 'catch on' ?
kj
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

KJ, when your new #13 arrives, please post a description of the pull. Based solely on my #47, my working theory is that swayback patterns will have a lighter pull due to the back curved backspring. Can anyone comment on their swaybacks' pull weights and either support or refute this theory?

Lee
hivoltage777

Post by hivoltage777 »

Couple more pics just to share. Grabbed a couple special 43’s and the camel bone orange is very nice. The proto came out almost like a grapefruit color. I like the size and heft but the pull is surprisingly light. Not sure what I think about this but overall a great pattern. Very large pocket knife. Sorry some of the photos are sideways.
Attachments
DA3AD6B7-26F4-4934-BC9C-E9F826B046CF.jpeg
E1EA5F1C-1245-4ECD-88DB-39A915E6AEE8.jpeg
6A6CBFBF-D551-4C2F-AC90-174E50F976A1.jpeg
2A61A9D4-36B6-4E9E-A359-9832856D0081.jpeg
A97E67B0-985D-485B-BF26-1A82D7CB6F6B.jpeg
EEAB3467-A4F5-4019-839B-38635129584E.jpeg
B4CD6CDA-379E-42BF-BEE5-B2FE970507B9.jpeg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

O.K. It will be about 2 weeks before i can post pics & comments.
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

hivoltage777 wrote:Couple more pics just to share. Grabbed a couple special 43’s and the camel bone orange is very nice. The proto came out almost like a grapefruit color. I like the size and heft but the pull is surprisingly light. Not sure what I think about this but overall a great pattern. Very large pocket knife. Sorry some of the photos are sideways.
hivoltage777 --- You have a PM.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

This 43 came in today.
Attachments
IMG_0084.JPG
David
hivoltage777

Post by hivoltage777 »

I like the antique green! I don’t know if I’d carry it but it’s beautiful. ::tu::
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

So far I only picked up one of the 43's,a Camel bone. Very nice knife.
Attachments
IMG_8480.jpg
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

As kootenay joe knows, living north of the 49th parralel has a few disadvantages. The biggest being a lack of shipping options to Canada. Some retailers are quite reasonably priced, some not so much, and others not at all. (Alas, 5 years ago USPS 1st class was about !3.50 for a small box) So whats a collector to do? The cross border parcel pickup of course! I made some time this weekend to slip down and gather my goodies.

The 47 Harvester in natural stag is nice. I had one already, but this one was a good price. ::super_happy:: The pile side is a bit funky looking colourwise but matches well in terms of thickness and texture. I quite like it. The 48 blows me away the prices these sell for on the bay - truly a great knife and they are underprices on the bay at auction.

Now, the 78s. These turned out great. Wonderful fit and finish, walk and talk is outstanding on all 6 blades on these four knives. I particularly like the 2 blade models, couldn't pick a winner between the wood and stag if I had to. The criticism of the main being hard to access is not unwarranted, I have no problemb but they could have put an eo nock in the frame for the pen blade and lowered it 3mm. The stag of the single blade is a little meh, but would be great in pocket. The Risner sfo is beautiful. I have had the Northwoods a while but thought it belonged.
20180401_212335_HDR_Film3-1.jpg
Attachments
20180401_221143_HDR_Film3-1.jpg
20180401_221209_HDR_Film3-1.jpg
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

56s. These dogleg jacks may be whats responsible for my GEC affinity. My 2010 snakewood has been in my pocket regularly for 8 years now. How time flies. This time around I was only going for a stag. The Appaloosa was too good looking to pass on and I ended with a 2 and 1 blade. Future classics. The 2nd stag was a torture purchase. I was happy with my initial purchase, but a retailer was a little late listing theirs. My 2nd languished on the world wide web for 2 or 3 days. I could not believe no one clicked on it. Bolster to end cap deep grooves, well matched. Now one of the best hafted stag knives of my collection, right up with my 2010 Genuine stag. I do wish they would start putting the shiel pin back in the shieldless stags, it was a nice touch. 56 family shot included. My snakewood had the most incredible figuring when new, now its quite dark and looks more like used cocobolo.
Attachments
20180401_212724_HDR_Film3-1.jpg
20180401_213856_HDR_Film3-1.jpg
20180401_212826_HDR_Film3-1.jpg
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

robbobus wrote: So whats a collector to do? The cross border parcel pickup of course! I made some time this weekend to slip down and gather my goodies.
robbobus, that's quite a haul! In a single pickup?! Wow, thanks for sharing, and for including the NW's. I agree, they belong. Love the SFOs - Red Risner 78, Charlie C. 48... Definitely hit after hit! Which ones are users? Safe queens? Investment pieces? Kid in a candy store!!

Just yesterday I used my 48 to slice up some barbeque that was too tough for the flimsy disposable plastic fork and knife. Not sure if I'd use a Charlie C 48 like that, but it will definitely make short work of some brisket!

Lee
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

I felt like a kid on a knife store for sure. 6 above came back with me this trip, 2 the week before returned with my snowbird parents and the others came direct over the winter. None of these are scheduled to become users, they will be studied and appreciated parts of the collection. I have a few dozen GEC users already and like to keep most additions as they come from the factory. Likely 2/3s of my users got their patinas started elsewhere. I added a Titusville farmers jack in stag and ats34 a few weeks back to the rotation, as well as an AGR funny folder. The funny folder IS a fun knife, wicked grind too. Last new GEC user was a factory 2nd 77 in stag to join a 77 in cocobolo user.

And I was able to purchase the elusive 43 stag today. ::ds:: These are good knife times to be alive right now.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I should not be buying anymore new knives but the KSF mail out yesterday saying Stag #43 have arrived got me just 'having a look'. THere were still about 15 Stag 43's left and i was surprised that ALL had some of the best Stag GEC has used in the last few years. I saw one that has my name on it. Slow internet meant a full 5 minutes trying to pay. I thought for sure i would get 'scooped' before my payment went through. But luck was on my side and this very fine slim Stag knife is on it's way to me.
The email from KSF saying knife has shipped shows a "Buffalo Leather Pocketslip-Large" is included. I did not order this intentionally. Do they all come with a "pocketslip" ? or did i need to 'uncheck' a box when ordering ?
If you also bought a Stag #43 how about posting the pictures.
Only thing that could have made this knife even better is a shield. Picture it with a shield in your mind's eye: see, it looks even better.
kj
Attachments
gec-43-oregon-trapper-sambar-stag-7__40847.1522765786.jpg
gec-43-oregon-trapper-sambar-stag-8__60733.1522765786.jpg
gec-43-oregon-trapper-sambar-stag-9__09479.1522765786.jpg
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Beauty KJ, sweet stag, nice that it's not too thick and bulky and fabulous texture and look. Oozing varying character. Love grooves and bumps and you nailed both. Great pick. And sooooooooooo good to see there's no shield messing up/covering up/hiding the antler. Looks way better uninterrupted like this, I like metal on the bolsters and spine, not out in the middle of beautiful scale material. It would be a blemish on stag like this. Great antler, fabulous looking knife, home run, again.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

That's a beauty Roland! What time did you buy that? I looked yesterday and there were none to be had.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I don't remember the time, other than morning time (app. 0900 hrs-1000hrs PST). The KSF email was in my inbox when i checked it for messages. I had not checked for hours so it could have been there for some time. I was surprised that there was still one page of Stag knives. I actually took about 20 minutes to decide. I checked back after the long check out & pay, and there were only 4 knives left, not the best of this bunch, but still very good Stag on the remaining ones.
The picture showing how slim and equal in 'slimness' the Stag is, was what decided it for me; not only good quality Stag but looks to be perfectly hafted. Even though i cannot afford to spend this money it is just too good to pass up.
I am looking forward to seeing the other Northfield Stag #43's. Do you think they should be posted here ? or start a #43 thread ?
kj
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Good score, KJ. I was otherwise occupied and saw the email about 10 hours too late, and they were all gone from KSF when I got a look. I'm not a big stag hunter so I didn't check the other sites. From the production pics I was thinking the stag handles looked pretty good this run but I wasn't sure what I was looking at. You guys are helping me develop my discerning eye for good stag! Congrats!

On a sad note, the second time I carried my "Frontier Bone" 43 I dropped it from waist height onto a laminate raised floor and cracked the bone right above the lanyard tube. ::teary_eyes:: Then when I was showing it to my friend the other day I noticed a slight blade rap, just ever so small, but a visible flat spot on the edge in the right light. Well, gulp, it's a user, so I'm going to rub some epoxy into the crack and polish it with some fine emory paper. I saw a post somewhere about blade rap, and I'll just sharpen it and guide it down from now on. So much for that nice talk on the close! Ok, </sad story>

Lee
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Monk, the miniscule flat spot is common, within the range of "normal". I have the SpyderCo rods and just pass the blade edge over these for a few minutes and edge is all fine and it won't 'rap' again. I baby my knives such that i hold onto the blade until it is nearly closed so snap is less forceful.
Bummer about the bone crack but this is the 'price' of a lanyard hole, it weakens the end of the bone. Had it landed a different way likely bone would not have cracked.
It is a good way to get yourself relaxed about using the knife.
kj
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

KJ, thanks for the advice. The #43 in question is the one in my avatar pic, a very nice knife. I hear you about the lanyard tube, but the tradeoff is that I can tie a leather lace through it. I think it's worth it. It's my knife of choice when I'm wearing my good boots and jeans. I made a belt sheath for it that turned out nicely, a decent knock off of the large GEC belt sheath, but the flap covers the end of the knife. On one hand the flap protects the knife, but I will probably make another open-top sheath so I can show off the knife, especially now that it's got it's first battle scar. A knife in a custom belt sheath is definitely a fashion statement here in Texas. You're up in Canada aren't you? Is sporting a knife in a belt sheath a thing there?

Lee
Attachments
oregon_43_4_small.png
oregon_43_5_small.png
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

robbobus wrote: I added a Titusville farmers jack in stag and ats34 a few weeks back to the rotation, as well as an AGR funny folder. The funny folder IS a fun knife, wicked grind too. Last new GEC user was a factory 2nd 77 in stag to join a 77 in cocobolo user.

And I was able to purchase the elusive 43 stag today. ::ds:: These are good knife times to be alive right now.
robbobus, would you please post pics of the funny folder when you can? Not sure what that looks like but if it's funny I want to see it! Also, it should go without saying, but pics pics pics of the 43 stag when it arrives, ok?

Lee
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

m0nk, your light colored primitive bone looks like mammoth, very nice !
I have my 13 pattern whittler. Pull to open master is about correct for this knife, a 4-5 effort of pull. A whittler is consider part of the pen knife class and are not supposed to have springs as stiff as a jack knife. Pen knife blades should be easy to open. The spring is to stop the blade from falling open and to hold blade steady when fully open. A stiff spring is not needed.
You asked about carrying a knife in a belt sheath in Canada: no problem, folder or fixed blade, except not into a court house or a bar. I always have at least one knife on me and usually 3. At 71 i have been doing this for 50 years and have never had any issues because of this.
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

m0nk wrote:
robbobus wrote: I added a Titusville farmers jack in stag and ats34 a few weeks back to the rotation, as well as an AGR funny folder. The funny folder IS a fun knife, wicked grind too. Last new GEC user was a factory 2nd 77 in stag to join a 77 in cocobolo user.

robbobus, would you please post pics of the funny folder when you can? Not sure what that looks like but if it's funny I want to see it! Also, it should go without saying, but pics pics pics of the 43 stag when it arrives, ok?

Lee
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here is a new one for me. I picked this up from Kootenay Joe (Roland) and it has some spectacular Stag handles. A #66 Roper.
005.JPG
006.JPG
I love those pinched bolsters. :D
007.JPG
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

:) ::tu:: ::tu:: :)
gsmith7158 wrote:Here is a new one for me. I picked this up from Kootenay Joe (Roland) and it has some spectacular Stag handles. A #66 Roper.005.JPG006.JPG
I love those pinched bolsters. :D 007.JPG

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”