Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
LanG

Re: Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

Post by LanG »

gsmith7158 wrote:That's a beauty LanG. The 78 is a Great pattern. I love those half stops. ::tu::
Thank you, Greg! I'm a fan of the half-stop, too. ::nod::
Lan
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I think i might be getting hooked on these GEC's. I bought this one tonight. A #77 Washington Punch.
Attachments
GEC  Washington Punch Knife.jpg
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
LanG

Post by LanG »

Very nice, classic-looking knife! I like the bolsters and the diamond shield They work well with those handles.
Lan
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I think Ebony is one of the most sophisticated looking materials for a knife. I'm constantly falling for them. :oops:
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

gsmith7158 wrote:I think Ebony is one of the most sophisticated looking materials for a knife. I'm constantly falling for them. :oops:
Have to agree. They just look classy.
-Tim
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The #77 Washington Harness Jack is one of the most attractive of all the GEC. It was inspired by the Schrade-Walden 2OT and Charlie C.
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

These Orange camel bone 43's look pretty doggone sweet. Glad I reserved one
::tu::
Attachments
43oc.png
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

LanG wrote: Thanks to QTCut5, I now have my first GEC- #78 American Jack. I see now what all the fuss is about. It is a true work of craftsmanship. It's almost too nice to carry, but I'll try to get over that! ::nod::
Lan, you couldn't have picked a better first GEC. Congrats on owning a true piece of American pocket art! Funny you should say that it's too nice to carry because I'm keeping my SMKW 78 single as a dress up knife, and I don't dress up that often. It's so nice I can't bring myself to put it into my daily carry rotation. So nice in fact, that I had to spring for a NF 78 2-blade in golden brown jig bone as an EDC option. Side by side, they're almost the exact same color. I wanted the beautiful golden brown bone but also a 2-blade jack because I love that big pen secondary. I'll have to post pics soon...

Enjoy that knife, and be ready because as others have said before, GECs are addictive!

Lee
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Really nice orange bone there gsmith, nice clip too. Great minds think alike, although wish I could early reserve one of these instead of do the mad rush, but it is what it is. At least I was lucky enough to get one. Pictures don't do this justice either, much prettier in person.
Attachments
WP_20180319_092.jpg
WP_20180319_076.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Fantastic I-man ::tu:: ::tu::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Ivoryman, That is a powerfully beautiful knife. Congratulations. ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ivoryman, WOW ! that is better than Mammoth. I am rather jealous and annoyed that us slower internet guys do not stand a chance to get one.
Your Giraffe Big Bay must be one of the most attractive of all the Big Bays. I cannot imagine a better looking knife.
kj
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

That's pretty high praise KJ, thanks a bunch. Wow, comparing it to Mammoth says something. Thanks. Right there with you on slow computer skills, that's why I've missed out on some Northwoods before. And you too Quick Steel, and gsmith. Appreciate it men. Thanks again and glad you like looking, as do I.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

kootenay joe wrote:Ivoryman, WOW ! that is better than Mammoth.
I agree and here's why: giraffe usually has those fine fissures that take dye more and become those nice looking veins running down the piece. Not to mention that giraffe is tougher, cheaper, and more plentiful than mammoth. Mammoth comes in many varieties of color, and giraffe can be found that matches most of those, which is why I'm thinking about getting a custom made with giraffe covers.

Ivoryman, your giraffe bone in that light looks almost like liquid or gel, like you could stick your finger through it. Beautiful shine.

Here's my new NF UN-X-LD 78 2-blade, and a comparison to the NF 78 SMKW SFO single, showing that they're nearly the same color. The UN-X-LD has a mirror shine; it's my first knife with mirror finish, and it came with some kind of waxy residue on it that doesn't come off with mineral oil. You can see the residue in the first pic. I haven't yet experimented with other cleaners but I'm sure it will come off with the right solvent. If anybody knows what that residue is and a good way to get it off, please reply. Overall I think I like the satin blade finish better, and the mirror finish blades seem to have more of a wire edge, not as sharp as all my other satin blades. Has anyone else noticed a wire edge on mirror finish blades, or does anyone know if the mirror polishing process causes a dull edge? So far my sharpest GEC out of the tube is my 48 Improved Trapper.

The UN-X-LD 78 is definitely in my daily carry rotation, along with my Tidioute elderberry 78 2-blade, and my Tidioute 48 Improved Trapper.

Lee
Attachments
nf_78_2bld_1.png
nf_78s_3.png
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks monk, looks even better in person. I really like those 78 covers too, not the same, but reminds me of the old Rogers bone look. Great color and pattern.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is my #43, a Northfield with cocobolo handles. It is a good basic knife, nothing fancy and will last longer than one human lifetime. Got a good deal too, from Barry aka "Gunstock Jack's". He is one of the smaller GEC dealers and he does a lot for AAPK so i feel he deserves a few purchases from me.
kj
Attachments
IMGP3764.JPG
IMGP3766.JPG
IMGP3767.JPG
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Very nice Roland! I think the ringed bolsters and the fancy clip blade on the Northfield turn that basic knife into a very classy piece. ::tu::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Greg. The cocobolo looks very good, similar to that on a few vintage knives i have. I am not a wood expert at all but i think the cocobolo GEC has been using is top notch. This contrasts with the Stag handled knives, which lately have not had top notch Stag.
kj
hivoltage777

Post by hivoltage777 »

Natural Canvas 56 is lookin real good with a little Ballistol and pocket time.
Attachments
F2887937-2C0A-4CAA-AAC8-5055788A6798.jpeg
5E6FA542-3942-4228-99CE-E39860EE4418.jpeg
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Nice Canvas hivoltage, I grabbed the single blade version, love it. The color on yours is deep, very nice. Welcome to the club, noticed today is your AAPK birthday, good to have new blood, congrats on that Bird Dog. Does that handle mean you're an AC/DC fan too?
hivoltage777

Post by hivoltage777 »

Hey thanks. I tried to join a couple months ago but I never would receive the authorization through email. It worked this time and I’m glad to be here, might have been my email. I was obsessed with AC/DC and guitar as a teen and have been using that ever since, cb handle, email, tons of user names, you name it. I’m 29 and probably one of the youngest GEC nuts around. I’ve literally had over 100 and can’t wait to see what they come up with next. I’ll post when ever I can and hope y’all like what you see. I’m constantly buying and selling, not for profit, just to feed the habit. If I make a buck on eBay it’s all for entertainment. As many GECs I can pass through my hands the happier I am. I’ll break a few gems out of the safety deposit box soon and get em up here. Thanks for the welcome.

Bryan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

hivoltage777 wrote:Hey thanks. I tried to join a couple months ago but I never would receive the authorization through email. It worked this time and I’m glad to be here, might have been my email. I was obsessed with AC/DC and guitar as a teen and have been using that ever since, cb handle, email, tons of user names, you name it. I’m 29 and probably one of the youngest GEC nuts around. I’ve literally had over 100 and can’t wait to see what they come up with next. I’ll post when ever I can and hope y’all like what you see. I’m constantly buying and selling, not for profit, just to feed the habit. If I make a buck on eBay it’s all for entertainment. As many GECs I can pass through my hands the happier I am. I’ll break a few gems out of the safety deposit box soon and get em up here. Thanks for the welcome.

Bryan
Welcome to AAPK. You have a PM.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The #13 frame, 3 5/8" came out in early 2017. It includes pen knives, jack knives and a whittler. It was quite popular when released with dealers selling out within a few days. I like the 3 5/8" size and although i also like a few of the #13's i did not buy one until this evening. I saw a Stag whittler #133317 on ebay which i won for $92.
Can someone comment about their #13, preferably, whittler, what you like or don't like about it and if you see $92 as a 'deal' or not ?
thanks, kj
Attachments
s-l1600 (20).jpg
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

hivoltage777 wrote: I’ve literally had over 100 and can’t wait to see what they come up with next. I’ll post when ever I can and hope y’all like what you see.
Bryan, Welcome to AAPK! Good to seen another GEC enthusiast here. With a collection like that, you're making me feel better about my GEC habit!
kootenay joe wrote: Can someone comment about their #13, preferably, whittler, what you like or don't like about it and if you see $92 as a 'deal' or not?
KJ, I'd say you got a phenomenal deal! Whittlers are in high demand, and a NF stag to boot. It probably cost more that that new. Good score. I don't have a #13 although I came close to buying a 13 jack in rust red bone a few months ago. Seems like a real nice pattern. With the inflated secondary prices that we've been seeing you can't go wrong with a score like your #13.

Lee
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

kootenay joe wrote:The #13 frame, 3 5/8" came out in early 2017. It includes pen knives, jack knives and a whittler. It was quite popular when released with dealers selling out within a few days. I like the 3 5/8" size and although i also like a few of the #13's i did not buy one until this evening. I saw a Stag whittler #133317 on ebay which i won for $92.
Can someone comment about their #13, preferably, whittler, what you like or don't like about it and if you see $92 as a 'deal' or not ?
thanks, kj
That's a pretty darn good deal for a stag #13. While the #38 Grinling is my favorite pattern, I had just carried my 13 last week. I like the fact that the main blade is pinchable, and a nice wharncliffe. The two pen blades are odd, but I understand were based on an older patterned knife. Would prefer a small coping blade with the pen. I had a American Whittler SFO in Chestnut, but like this one a lot more with the color & it's character.
Jiggy.jpg
-Tim

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”