help please

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
just bob

help please

Post by just bob »

Bought this at an estate sale and have no idea what it is. No markings of any kind on the knife. About 5" long closed, horn handles, Nice Damascus blade. Fires hard and locks tight. Took it to the local guy today and he thinks Italian but not sure. Heavy made and most likely not China. He thought from the 1980's or before? Any help appreciated.
Attachments
b 1.JPG
b 2.JPG
b 3.JPG
b 4.JPG
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: help please

Post by doglegg »

Isn't that style of Damascus known as rain drop?
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Yup, rain drop is what I have heard it called. Pretty hard to date or ID if there are zero markings on the knife. Nice spaghetti stirrer! :D
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
sam eib

Post by sam eib »

From what I understand about Italian makers it's sometimes hard to determine who makes what. Could be it got missed in the stamping procedure. It's a swivel bolster so it's what they call a transitional that was made after the pic locks. About all I can tell about it except it's a keeper!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

" It's a swivel bolster" ?
I am not familiar with this type of knife but looks like a push button to fire, not swivel the bolster. Would please explain what you are seeing in this knife ?
thanks, kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

kootenay joe wrote:" It's a swivel bolster" ?
I am not familiar with this type of knife but looks like a push button to fire, not swivel the bolster. Would please explain what you are seeing in this knife ?
thanks, kj
Roland: The swivel bolster was used to push up the top blade lock to release the blade. Earlier models required that you insert a thumbnail under the blade release which could be difficult at times. The large button is the blade release when it is closed;the small button is the sliding button lock to keep it from opening in your pocket.
As for this knife;I have never seen one with a Damascus styled blade before so I am assuming it is of fairly recent manufacture.

EDIT:It is fairly easy to tell one that has a swivel bolster from a non swivel by looking at the handle on the button side. The front of the handle is slightly curved(concave)to allow the bolster to swivel. A solid bolster has the front of the handle straight across.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
just bob

Post by just bob »

As for this knife;I have never seen one with a Damascus styled blade before so I am assuming it is of fairly recent manufacture.

I have been doing a lot of digging on this knife and went through the images on Ebay and Google. There are a host of new Kissing Crane (China) stiletto type knives with Damascus blades. I also see some Italian made stiletto's with Damascus. I don't see another stiletto of any maker with tear drop Damascus. You say this knife is newer. How new 1980's - Y2K? I'm just trying to come up with more info on it. Thanks for all the comments.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I'm not sure the blade is Damascus. Could just be an etched pattern. Can you see the pattern layers on the top/back of the blade as well as on the kick area?
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

btrwtr wrote:I'm not sure the blade is Damascus. Could just be an etched pattern. Can you see the pattern layers on the top/back of the blade as well as on the kick area?
I believe it is an etched Damascus.If you look at the tang right where the blade grind starts the pattern seems to disappear which indicates to me that the etching was an applique.
just bob

Post by just bob »

This is the area where the kick would be and the metal has been worked away. Pretty sure the Damascus pattern extend to the center of the steel. What does this mean? Does this indicate a date the steel was made?
Attachments
a 1.JPG
a 2.JPG

knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

just bob wrote:This is the area where the kick would be and the metal has been worked away. Pretty sure the Damascus pattern extend to the center of the steel. What does this mean? Does this indicate a date the steel was made?
Well I stand corrected. From this vantage point it does appear that the material is layered steel. Sorry.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

just bob wrote:This is the area where the kick would be and the metal has been worked away. Pretty sure the Damascus pattern extend to the center of the steel. What does this mean? Does this indicate a date the steel was made?
No, nothing to do with age. Just trying to determine if the blade is actually welded Damascus steel or not. To me the blade looks like an applied superficial or electro etched pattern but I am not sure.

Either way it's a pretty cool looking knife.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Picklocks were made until the mid fiftys even a little later. Transitionals do not have a swivel bolster they lock and unlock by using the side button. these were being used during the 60 tys and 70 tys Late 70 tys and early 80 tys saw the switchover to the swivel bolster which is still what is popular today and is used on most of these stilletos presently being made. especially on the lesser expensive knives. The fact that your knife is unmarked and the ( what looks like electro etch damascus ( as was mentioned) would seem to make it ( as you thought probably a chinese or similar import. LT
Attachments
big book1.JPG
big book 2.JPG
just bob

Post by just bob »

Amazing how many of these knives look so similar. Look at this knife which matches the OP down to the pin placement and the blade profile. A different length and you might also notice the tang stamp on the other knife is missing as well. Maybe marked somewhere else? Like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. The local guy had several China made stiletto autos and I looked at them. All China knives aren't the same - I know, but his China knives were very light duty and light weight. I emailed these people and sent them a link to this thread. We'll see if I get a response or not. If so I'll post it. Thanks for all of the comments.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Frank-B-9 ... ney--50944

Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Made by Armando Beltrame in Maniago, Italy after 2000.
Steel is damascus.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma