Museum Glass in display cases

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
zp4ja

Museum Glass in display cases

Post by zp4ja »

Anyone use museum glass in their display cases?

High UV protection and amazingly clear with zero glare or reflections.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
XX Case XX

Re: Museum Glass in display cases

Post by XX Case XX »

I haven't used it on display cases, however, I have used them 3X on framings for custom drawings of our dogs. All 3 frames have the same "Museum Grade" glass. It has a "greenish" tint to it and it blocks out all UV rays that could damage or fade whatever it is your trying to protect. It's a bit on the expensive side but it works.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

XX Case XX wrote:I haven't used it on display cases, however, I have used them 3X on framings for custom drawings of our dogs. All 3 frames have the same "Museum Grade" glass. It has a "greenish" tint to it and it blocks out all UV rays that could damage or fade whatever it is your trying to protect. It's a bit on the expensive side but it works.

Yes, not inexpensive for sure. Did not notice any tint to it but may have missed that. Seems to be amazing stuff. Priced out a 20" by 24" piece today and it is around 130 bucks. Might be cheaper but that was a very rough estimate.

If you take a picture is there any glare? I was pretty amazed at this glass compared to regular glass as far as clarity and lack of reflection/ glare.

With the UV protection and clarity, seems to me would be an expensive but solid investment for some old CASE knives in an original display. That is my plan for it's use. Worth the money if some old knives handles don't fade in my opinion.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Sounds very interesting. Jerry, do you have a link to where a person can get it? Or just go to my local glass place?
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

zp4ja wrote: Did not notice any tint to it but may have missed that.
I notice that greenish tint not when I look at it straight on, but when I see it from an angle. Or maybe it could be that yours is made a bit different than what I have. It could be that different manufacturers have different production methods and that's why you don't notice it. We got ours at Aaron Brothers, which focuses primarily on glass for picture frames.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

espn77 wrote:Sounds very interesting. Jerry, do you have a link to where a person can get it? Or just go to my local glass place?
Hey my friend. You can likely get online but I prefer to help out the local shops/ economy. Likely would check local glass place and go from there. If the cost difference is staggering I would do online or negotiate. Doing local allows me to ensure I don’t get a piece in pieces and helps my neighbors out.

Jerry

Return to “General Knife Discussion”