Buck knife Sharpening

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
fergusontd

Buck knife Sharpening

Post by fergusontd »

::hmm:: What is the best way to sharpen a 301 Buck Stockman. That 420 steel I just cannot put an edge on it. I can get it somewhat sharp but it seems to dull quickly. I've carried this knife a long time and would like to switch off with my Case Trapperlock for my EDC. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
mrwatch

Re: Buck knife Sharpening

Post by mrwatch »

how are you sharpening it? one of the most common reasons to not hold an edge is that you did not remove the wire edge after sharpening. the pressure from pushing on the wire into the new edge dulls it. or if the blade got over heated during power sharpening and not dipping it in water regularly, loosing it's temper. you should see some of the knives iv looked at in the antique malls. ::woot::
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Buck knife Sharpening

Post by djknife13 »

Buck and some of the Japanese knives use pretty hard steel in their blades and don't sharpen easily with regular stones. I've had pretty good luck with diamond sharpeners and then use a good steel often before they get dull again to keep them sharp.___Dave

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”