knives made of Damascus steel

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Sut Tatersaul

knives made of Damascus steel

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

I can't find information about knives, that are made of Damascus steel. Can anyone tell me why? Have I asked about it the wrong way? Help?

Sut Tatersaul
It's Mind Over Matter, If You Don't Mind, It Don't Matter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: knives made of Damascus steel

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Here's some info. http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/98 ... -9809.html. As to why it was used, makers of weaponry have throughout time sought out better materials. And then there's always "because they could". :lol:

I'm no expert, but from what I've read no one has been successfully able to reproduce the properties found in original Damascus steel. What is advertised today as "Damascus" steel is a reproduction of the layered look, aesthetically like the original, but not having the same other properties such as strength and flexibility. It seems generally accepted that modern steels have surpassed Damascus steel for most purposes, but some still want the unique Damascus steel look.

That's my take on it anyway. You can read the info and decide for yourself what you think. There are other sources on the Internet as well.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

I asked a similar question a while back.
Click on the link ---> https://allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_ ... us#p519857

jerryd had an excellent link about 7 posts down from my link above.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Bastler

Post by Bastler »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but damascus could be made of various modern alloys so one damascus could be quite different from another. The question might be too general to answer easily.
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

some are layered over a steel core. I have posted pictures of a couple of mine too the fixed blade section. some are great and many are likely a chemical etching on poorly made imported knives. some great Japanese kitchen knives but not inexpensive and need extra care to prevent rusting. many low end ones and affordable better grade ones from Pakistan.
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:I'm no expert, but from what I've read no one has been successfully able to reproduce the properties found in original Damascus steel. What is advertised today as "Damascus" steel is a reproduction of the layered look, aesthetically like the original, but not having the same other properties such as strength and flexibility. It seems generally accepted that modern steels have surpassed Damascus steel for most purposes, but some still want the unique Damascus steel look.
That's been my take on it also. Nobody makes true Damascus anymore, only the look of Damascus.
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

gwelker62 wrote:
That's been my take on it also. Nobody makes true Damascus anymore, only the look of Damascus.[/quote]
Is not Damascus steel layered steel that has been forge welded together? Do you mean steel that's actually made in Damascus Syria?
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

ken98k wrote: Is not Damascus steel layered steel that has been forge welded together? Do you mean steel that's actually made in Damascus Syria?
I'm referring to the original Damascus steel, or AKA Wootz steel. Of which has not be replicated since.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascus_steel
The original method of producing Damascus steel is not known. Modern attempts to duplicate the metal have not been entirely successful due to differences in raw materials and manufacturing techniques.
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Here's some info. http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/98 ... -9809.html. As to why it was used, makers of weaponry have throughout time sought out better materials. And then there's always "because they could". :lol:

I'm no expert, but from what I've read no one has been successfully able to reproduce the properties found in original Damascus steel. What is advertised today as "Damascus" steel is a reproduction of the layered look, aesthetically like the original, but not having the same other properties such as strength and flexibility. It seems generally accepted that modern steels have surpassed Damascus steel for most purposes, but some still want the unique Damascus steel look.

That's my take on it anyway. You can read the info and decide for yourself what you think. There are other sources on the Internet as well.

Ken
Ken:
Please overlook my poorly worded question concerning Damascus steel knives. I only wanted to find out if there had been discussions about Damascus steel held on this forum in the past. My question was answered, by this forum, that there were 0. references. I now find that to be wrong, and there was a thread about it, with many people commenting on it. exactly what I wanted to start with. Your Reference, "http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/lom/98 ... -9809.html." is a wealth of information, and I am enjoying it also. I don't think that any of us in today's knife collecting community, would want an original Damascus steel knife, or sword, to do actual work with. Most of us would be concerned with our modern versions of it, mostly for it's pleasing looks. That's the purpose, of what we are here for, to discuss things, and sometimes " Poke a Little Fun" at each other. Thanks.

Sut Tatersaul
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Look up "Alabama Damascus Steel and Cutlery" on the web.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

I think the term 'damascus' has became a relative word for most any type of layered or layered-looking steel.

Kinda like calling all facial tissue 'Kleenex' or all adhesive bandages 'Band-aids' .. ... ..
::shrug::
Just my humble, useless opinion.
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here are a couple of knives I own that are made of Damascus steel.
First one is a custom folder made by Jason Williams of Wyoming Rhode Island.This was Jason's 14th knife made when he was 19 years old. His stepfather Bill McHenry is also an accomplished knife maker. Together they conceived the Axis Lock that Benchmade uses on many of their knives.
I believe the Damascus used here is Jerry Rados damascus and is used on the bolsters as well. Lots of inlay and engraving and filework. The nice feature is a small detent on the back of the thumb stud that acts as a resistance to the blade opening when in the closed position. Although it may not look used I have used it once to scrape gasket material from a cylinder head when I was replacing intake manifold gaskets on my car. Worked nice and didn't harm the knife one bit.
Second is a survival knife made by Parker Edwards(Fain Edwards Damascus).Not sure how the edge would hold up as it has never been used.
Third is a closeup of a massive modern bowie by Colt that looks to be chunks of cable welded together.Not sure where it was made;likely in India or Pakistan.
Last is a Persian jambiya that dates to the 17th century complete with carved ivory handle; gold inlays;wood sheath covered in what looks like lizard skin and a small companion dagger also of Damascus.The layering in this blade is fine beyond belief.
Attachments
JW99.jpg
Parker-EdwardsSurvival1of500.JPG
ColtBowie2.jpg
ColtBowie4.jpg
Jambiya1.jpg
Jambiya5.jpg
Jambiya999.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Hi, All:
The reason that I asked the members of this forum for information, about knives that were made of "Damascus Steel"in my post that started this thread, was because AAPK, when asked, listed no references to the subject. "0" was their reply. I now find that there were, in fact, many others. It seems that I've opened a controversial " Can of Worms" that contains, about as many controversies, that it contains worms. This is just great, as it provides me with a wealth of opinions, and answers on a subject that I'm really interested in. Until yesterday, I only owned one small folding knife, that has a "Damascus Steel" blade. I wanted, and bought, my first fixed blade Dagger, made of "Damascus Steel". It was delivered yesterday, by USPS. Here are pictures of them.

Sut Tatersaul
Attachments
DSC02155.JPG
DSC02159.JPG
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

The dagger looks nice but I'm pretty sure the small folder is acid etched to look like Damascus.
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

ken98k wrote:The dagger looks nice but I'm pretty sure the small folder is acid etched to look like Damascus.
I've heard that if you like at the knife's spine it will tell you if it is etched or not.
Etched will have a smooth-to-the-look spine, while on one of Damascus you'll be able to see the layers of steel.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

I looked at the small folder's spine, and I'm almost sure that the "Damascus" blade is etched to give it the "Damascus look". The rest of the knife's construction looks good, to my untrained eyes. If the purpose of using today's "Damascus Steel", and it's "fakes", is mainly for looks, I guess that this knife, like it or not, has served it's purpose. I will be looking for a better grade, of small folding knife, with "Dam." blade. Here is the picture of another "Damascus" Hunter style knife, that the Mail Person delivered yesterday.
Sut Tatersaul
Attachments
DSC02166 (2).JPG
DSC02167.JPG
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

Here's an example of faux Damascus. It's actually acid etched to look like Damascus.
Attachments
20180316_082247.jpg
20180316_082340.jpg
20180316_082409.jpg
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here is an example of faux Damascus on a dagger.
Attachments
FauxDamascusDagger2017 002.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

ken98k wrote:Here's an example of faux Damascus. It's actually acid etched to look like Damascus.
Hey Ken, do have a pic or two of the blade spine?
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

Steve Warden wrote:
ken98k wrote:Here's an example of faux Damascus. It's actually acid etched to look like Damascus.
Attachments
20180316_095538.jpg
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

ken98k wrote:
Steve Warden wrote:
Thanks. ::tu:: Affirms my statement that a blade etched to look like Damascus shows no layers along the spine.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

Steve Warden wrote:
ken98k wrote:
Steve Warden wrote: Hey Ken, do have a pic or two of the blade spine?
Thanks. ::tu:: Affirms my statement that a blade etched to look like Damascus shows no layers along the spine.
I agree, Damascus is like plywood, you can see layers.
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!

Return to “General Knife Discussion”