77 reserve

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
313 Mike

77 reserve

Post by 313 Mike »

I was fortunate enough to "win" in the lottery drawing for the right to reserve one of the soon to be produced 77 Barlows in red sawcut bone from Collector Knives. So now I have a guaranteed reservation and will be notified when the factory fulfills the order. Unfortunately there is no price set yet. My question is, does anybody have any idea, based on past runs of the 77, about what the price will be on these? ....it is going to be a 2 blade, clip main, coping secondary.
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Eye Brand Man

Re: 77 reserve

Post by Eye Brand Man »

Based on what I've payed in the past. I'd say between 95.00 to 110.00
Eye Brand Collector
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Mike, congrats! I agree with EBM; $100 sounds about right. I haven't seen a 77 SFO specifically, but the prices are fairly consistent for a 2-blade SFO. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get in on the lottery because the random picker site is unreachable at work (and blocked by my home ISP as a gambling sitel!) and my phone is a big giant POS that can't get internet signal anywhere near my building. CK doesn't know or care that about 1.3 million prospective customers on the DOD NIPRNET won't be able to participate in his lottery from work computers. Ok, minus a sizeable portion who have access to phones that can actually reach the site. Anyway, guess I'm SOL for this SFO.

Maybe I'll take off work and go hang out at Starbucks or somewhere on Thursday afternoon for a shot at the elderberry camel bone. That red saw cut bone is gonna be awesome. Be sure to post pics when it arrives!

Lee
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Thanks for the comments gents. Around 100 dollars is a price I can deal with, hopefully that is how it works out. I am thinking that Ironwood has the potential to be pretty good looking as well...
Mike

dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

I'm glad someone won that drawing because I sure didn't.
Monk...where did you find CK's drawing schedule
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

dweb1897 wrote:I'm glad someone won that drawing because I sure didn't.
Monk...where did you find CK's drawing schedule
add

It is posted on the CK site...scroll all the way down to the link to the early reserve page, then click on the 77 reservations and scroll down, you will find it there.
Mike

dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

313 Mike wrote:It is posted on the CK site...scroll all the way down to the link to the early reserve page, then click on the 77 reservations and scroll down, you will find it there.
Thanks Mike,
I didn't get picked in the first 2 drawings...still 2 more chances
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

I just want to give my perspective... in this game you win some and lose some. I've gotten ahold of a couple of knives that sold out and I'm sure other people wish they could have gotten one. This 77 SFO is going to be a VERY nice pocket knife, perhaps the perfect configuration in my mind. But I feel very confident that GEC will make a midsize clip/sheepsfoot jack at some point in the future, that will be widely available instead of a more limited run SFO. They've done a red sawcut bone before, and chances are they'll do it again. Truth is, I'm not so enamored with the barlow style as a lot of people are. I'd really prefer a bolster end instead of a bare end. So I'm sure whoever ends up with these knives will enjoy them, and I'll be fine looking at the pictures (as long as you guys post good pics!). I'm already thinking of that golden brown NF 78 that I've had my eye on...

Hey, maybe I'll just carry two knives, one with a clip and another with a sheepsfoot!!

Lee
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I agree that this lottery-based thing for the high-demand GECs is getting to be a little silly. ::td::

That being said, I scored a reservation on the elderberry camel bone version (my #2 choice, having missed out on the red bone). ::ds::

So take my money... ::facepalm::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Glad to hear you got in on the elderberry bone Tony
Will be interesting to see how those turn out, as there is usually a lot of variation in the camel bone.
Mike

m0nk

Post by m0nk »

First order of business, I owe CK a big public apology. The ramdompicker site is unreachable on my work network, so I couldn't get to the test draw or the official draw results. However, I finally signed up for Remind and got the link to the actual draw site today (tools.collectorknives.info), which I was able to reach from work. I missed out on the first two draws because I didn't know about the Remind signup. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. CK, I still appreciate you trying to make this as fair as possible and reduce the scalping as much as you can. Anyone who wants to get in on the ironwood draw tomorrow, make sure you're signed up for Remind, or just visit the CK reservation site from 4-5 CST tomorrow to see the draw site link!

Second, congrats to TB and the others who won reservations. Those camel bones in all their glorious variations are going to look amazing. Can't wait to see the pics. I'm happy that I was able to enter the draw today. I got the bad news email a little while ago that I didn't win a reservation, but I'm just glad I was finally able to play. I'm not interested in the ironwood so I'm going to sit that one out. I'm also glad that at least 5 different distributors still have the NF 78 golden brown 2-blades in stock. Not a bad consolation prize! Your guess is as good as mine as to why they haven't sold out. I suppose it's another testament to GEC's increased production to meet a higher demand.

Lee
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

I got a reservation on the Elderberry. I went to where the results were posted and came away with some numbers.
442 entered the drawing for 115 red saw cut Barlows
468 entered the drawing for 115 natural micarta Barlows
510 entered the drawing for 110 elderbery Barlows
That's 1420 entries for 330 knives. I'd imagine there will be over 100 Barlows in ironwood....over 400 knives in 4 handle materials is definitely not a short run by the old GEC standards. However, when compared to other very popular SFO's...Ancient Barlow 303 made, Real Barlows 196 made and Washington Jacks spear blade 320 made...this run is fairly comparable. In the past, I've seen a lot of grumping about the people who buy these knives with only re-sale in mind, and how expensive certain models are on the secondary market. My collection's value has decreased year after year. The GEC knives that I bought were about the only ones that I could count on to increase in value and that was entirely due to the limited amount produced. When GEC started producing large runs like the 48 trappers, a guy could hardly sell one for what he had paid for it. Personally, I have never met a collector that hasn't bought a knife strictly for re-sale with the hope of making a few bucks. Every person standing behind one of those tables at a knife show is doing exactly that.... and when there is money to be made, there will always be non collectors trying to get a share of the pie. I looked on another forum that lets individuals sell knives. 14 ads were placed in the Traditional folders section this last Saturday, in the other folder section...tactical style knives, there were 51 ads placed. With 4 out of 5 people collecting tactical style knives, I don't expect the decreasing market for traditional folders to turn around. As for myself, I'd a lot rather see the short runs and a high secondary market than the alternative.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

I did not find out about the draw until Wednesday. No luck yesterday. Success with Ironwood! It would be my 1st choice (if I had one).
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Ironwood results are out. Managed to score a reservation on one of those, too.

I am looking forward to the camel bone. All of my GEC camel bone knives hit the sweet spot as far as dye absorption goes and I expect GEC will hit it out of the park again with this run.

CK started dry-running the Remind system a while ago but only recently did the lottery-draw system go into place. There were at least 3 tests of it before the 77 SFO came available, I know one or two of them didn't end well. With the exception of the first draw's slowness (could have been my phone/signal, though) the submission process has been fairly flawless. I also get the regular Remind notifications about the early reservation system at least a few minutes quicker than the email blast, so it's a handy app to have if you're wading into the GEC fray often enough.

Add up all the 77s and it turns out this is a pretty good-sized SFO run after all. Clearly they have at least 4x the demand, too. I hope Mike isn't leaving too much money on the table to the benefit of the secondary market flippers.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

FYI CK made one more announcement impacting anyone who signed up for all 4 drawings but didn't get any reservations: They are holding a consolation draw. Check your emails or Remind for the link!
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

I have bought 16 knives from CKs. I wanted the 2019 #77 Barlow African Blackwood. I was refused that knife. My computer is slow and I have one arm. I am at a disadvantage buying knives from KnivesShipFree & CollectorKnives. I found other GEC dealers that will respect my business. Don't go crazy , go buy a custom fixed knife.
4557688345433.jpg
46588889911114.jpg
67788345333333.jpg
546777887899.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

Onearmbladejunkie wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:05 pm I have could not re-serve a GEC#77 African Blackwood . Don't go crazy , go buy a custom fixed knife. 4557688345433.jpg46588889911114.jpg67788345333333.jpg546777887899.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

Onearmbladejunkie wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:05 pm I wanted the 2019 #77 Barlow African Blackwood. 4557688345433.jpg46588889911114.jpg67788345333333.jpg546777887899.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

Onearmbladejunkie wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:05 pm I have bought 16 knives from CKs. I wanted the 2019 #77 Barlow African Blackwood. Don't go crazy , go buy a custom fixed knife. 4557688345433.jpg46588889911114.jpg67788345333333.jpg546777887899.jpg
Sabercat

Post by Sabercat »

The 77 Barlow is a great knife, and I've had a few different versions in my possession at one time or another. The only reason I don't still have all of them is because I've had to use them to build my Eureka collection.

I was lucky enough to score an amber sawcut bone in the last run, through the standard procedures clearly set forth by Mike. I still have that one, and it'll take a lot to pry that one from me. It's a perfect barlow.

The success of the 77 has certainly built a large fanbase, which is great, but I'm sure comes with its headaches.

While it's impossible to make everyone happy, I can't express enough how much I appreciate the lengths Mike goes to - to try. Sure, I've missed out on some...definitely more than I've snagged, but that's not on Mike. Not one bit.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”