Case Russlock knives

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Sut Tatersaul

Case Russlock knives

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

I just bought my first Case xx Russlock Knife, in amber bone stag. I am new to this type, and style of knife, and would like to find out all that i can about them. At 86 I have lost my ability to use this forum correctly. could anyone help me get the history of these knifes, and the proper use of them?
Thanks.
Sut Tatersaul
It's Mind Over Matter, If You Don't Mind, It Don't Matter
tallguy606

Re: Case Russlock knives

Post by tallguy606 »

I have looked at Russlocks, but can't warm up to the projection sticking out of the tang. Seems like it would quickly wear a hole in your pocket. And I am not a "flipper" guy anyway. I like the Case mid-folding hunter, same size knife, almost same blade, but without the funny prong sticking out.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

I'll say a hearty "Amen" to tallguy606's comments on the Russlock knives.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Ah, the famous (or infamous) Case RussLock...truly a "Love it or Hate it" pattern if ever there was one. Most of the response to/animosity towards the RussLock focuses on its distinctive, curved extended tang which definitely sets it apart and makes it unique.

Ostensibly it was designed as an OHO (one hand opener) knife, with the extended tang intended to be used as an opening lever; however, I have met precious few people (only one, actually) who have been able to open a RussLock with one hand. It's not really a "Flipper" and the design does not allow for an easy one-hand grip while using the lever to open the blade; it requires very strong and nimble fingers to open a RussLock with one hand (I can barely manage it with two hands).

Here's a bit about the history of the RussLock from Shepherd Hills Cutlery:

The RussLock (1953L) debuted in the 2000 Case Catalog, and was quickly a favorite among collectors with its unique style and beauty. This pattern features a liner lock mechanism, along with a gimped lever for convenient one-hand opening. The liner lock was Case's answer for a high tech knife. Designed by late Case Master Knifemaker, Tommy Hart (1930 - 1999), the sleek body style of the RussLock was inspired by the Jack Knife (028), a pattern that has been retired for over 40 years. The pattern was named after Case founder, J. Russell "Russ" Case. The pattern number (1953L) is a tribute to the year Russ Case passed away.

I used to collect RussLocks, but a few years ago my collecting focus changed and I sold off all but my two favorites; one custom MOP with the modified clip blade, and one stag w/red oval shield and drop point blade.
P2160001.JPG
P2160002.JPG
P2160003.JPG
P2160004.JPG
P2160005.JPG
P2160006.JPG
P2160013_1.JPG
P2160012_1.JPG
You can see photos of some of the RussLocks I used to own in this thread I started a few years ago:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=45808

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Thanks everyone for your opinions, and History. QTCut5 i did look up your posts, and pictures. thanks for your kind help in providing me with the Info. that I needed. The russlock knhttps://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_foru ... =329375ife, tho somewhat impractical, is just unusual enohttps://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_foru ... =329376ugh to appeal to me. Here is mine.
Attachments
DSC02081.JPG
DSC02082.JPG
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

That's some very pretty amber bone you have there, Sut.

Out of curiosity, are you able to open your RussLock with one hand?

I found another guy who was able to one-hand open my RussLocks...he builds lava rock walls and does landscaping for a living, consequently, he happens to have very strong hands. Although he was able to open my RL with one hand, he did struggle a bit and he was only able to do it by placing his thumb on the lever while squeezing the handle between his fingers and the butt of his hand, with the back of his hand pressed tightly against his thigh...certainly not what I would consider "convenient" opening.

~Q~

~Q~
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

QTCut5:
No I can't open it with one hand. I'm sure I could have, when I was a young man, as I was able to cut standard 1/4" bolts with a standard pair of 9" Klein side cutting pliers, using only one hand, and won many bets, doing so. The Russlock, is just unusual enough, and looks great to me, to make it appealing. I'll probably never get another, but will defiantly keep this one.

Chubbo
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Gotta agree that's some nice lookin' bone right there, boys. ::tu:: ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Is the blade action pretty stiff on these Russlocks?

There's a guy on Youtube that makes it look easy to open with one hand. I don't know how to post a Youtube link but he holds the knife between his thumb and middle finger with the backspring facing upward and then rotates the lever with his index finger.

He makes it look simple but it's obvious that the blade action on his knife has little resistance.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Railsplitter - if your youtube guy is the same guy I'm thinking of, he's also pretty darn good with a balisong, which makes him a whole lot more coordinated than me!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:Railsplitter - if your youtube guy is the same guy I'm thinking of, he's also pretty darn good with a balisong, which makes him a whole lot more coordinated than me!
I just went back and read the Youtube comments on his video. Every one of them asks how he got the blade action to be so smooth but I don't see an answer from him. He must have gotten lucky and got a really smooth one.
Rick T.

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

My wife gave me a quick lesson in Youtube video posting. Hope this works.

https://youtu.be/do1cNowJg-s
Rick T.

TwoFlowersLuggage

Hmm - no that's a different guy. Here's the one I was thinking of. He uses a different method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N3J3c5u-vE
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

I promised myself, that I was not going to start collecting anything again, but I have been reading, and observing the variations of the Russlock, and their intended use, discovered the drop point type, and off we go again. In reading the questions, on how some of the demonstrators were able to get their Russlock's actions, so light and smooth, I could comment on how the smoothness could be achieved. Fine valve grinding compound, or light polishing compound could be applied to the blade at it's pivot point, and the blade opened and closed until it's action became very smooth. The heavy spring tension, is another problem entirely. I can see no solution to that problem, short of removing some of the strong spring tension, by actual springing the blade's tension, in reverse, and that would be a tricky job. I do not think that the demonstrators of knives with extremely smooth actions will be likely, to give up their secrets. I have purchased two new Russlock drop point knives, and will post pictures upon their arrival.

Sut Tatersaul
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

SUT T., This is a little off topic but your comment about cutting a 1/4" bolt with a set of Klein's made me think of a Gulf Power line foreman that could break a set of Klein's with one hand. He won a lot of bets over the years! I don't think there are many men able to do that anymore.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Like most of you who posted here, I too thought that having a Russlock would be kind of interesting, and it is. I probably will not either purchase another or give up the one I have, which is the clip blade in blue bone. When I carry it, I do not try to flip it open with one finger, even though I think that was the designers intention. I tend to pull it half way open with the thumb, then finish the opening with the index finger. Mine does offer quite a bit of resistance to opening in the form of spring tension.
IMG_2003.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I may be wrong, but I don't think the RussLock was really designed or intended to be a "flipper" knife per se as flippers don't usually have a traditional slip joint-style back spring--and certainly not a stiff spring like is on most RussLocks if they do. Having owned approximately 75 RussLocks (of many different years' production runs) at the height of my RL collecting days, I have opened enough to feel confident in saying that most RussLocks have a fairly stiff back spring that requires a greater degree of finger/hand strength & dexterity to open than other types of one-hand opening knives (thumb studs, cut-out hole, automatic, etc.). Much like a butterfly or Balisong, it requires a bit of practice to master one-hand opening a RussLock.

~Q~

~Q~
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

I stated that I would post pictures of the latest Russlock drop point knives, when they arrived. The arrived today, I took pictures, and here they are. I decided to include my first one also, that has the std. blade, for comparison. This is my whole collection, and I don't plan to add to it.
Thanks All, for sharing, comments, and opinions.
Sut Tatersaul
Attachments
DSC02091.JPG
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Good looking Russlocks. I particularly like the Harvest Orange one in the middle. Nice little collection.
Rick T.

Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

I've been watching this thread, and noting the questions, about the process of opening the Russlock knives. As I see it, only one point in the process goes unanswered. How does one get the extremely heavy main spring lightened to be able to open the Russlock, like the talented demonstrators do? It is obvious that they won't share their secret with us. Since we have on this forum, many knife makers, knife repair experts, and knife artists of all kinds, could we not, call on their expertise, to answer the question of how to lighten the mainspring tension, or to offer that service to the ones of us that have normal strength in our hands? I realize that much practice is necessary to become as accomplished as the few talented demonstrators, but they found a way, and without that lightened spring. It ain't possible. Short of that, I guess only a select few will be able. " 'Nuff Said".

Sut Tatersaul
TwoFlowersLuggage

I suspect, like most things in life, proficiency is achieved through long hours of practice. The average person (like me) tries a few dozen times over a few days and then declares there must be a trick to doing it. I suspect proficiency requires many, many times that much effort. Muscle memory is an amazing thing!
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Two Flower Luggage:
I agree with you, it takes hours of practice to become that accomplished, strong. and able to open a "standard" Russlock knife. I contend that no one, that i've heard of, on this earth, has a thumb strong enough to operate a "standard" Russlock Knife, with their thumb. Like I stated in a previous post, when I was a young man, in my prime, I could cut 1/4" steel bolts with one hand, using a pair of standard Klein 9" side cutter pliers, and during my long electrical career never found anyone else that could. and was able to win enough money betting on the ability to do so, to buy a show case full of Klein side cutters. Like you stated, that came after many years of using that hand to cut wires, cables, concrete reinforcement rod, etc, but, on my best day I couldn't have opened a Russlock knife with my thumb. I believe there is more to the ability to do it, than practice. Prove me wrong, and find someone that can. I would love to see it done with with someone else's, "standard" Russlock Knife, not the demonstrator's knife. Thanks.

Sut Tatersaul
TwoFlowersLuggage

Sut: Have you seen this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N3J3c5u-vE&t=5s

You can hear the snap from the backspring as he opens and closes the knives.

Here's his longer reviews of each knife.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaR1Q3nJ3i8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdwPEV6tR4g

I'll send the guy a message and ask him if he has modified the knives in any way.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:Sut: Have you seen this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N3J3c5u-vE&t=5s
You can hear the snap from the backspring as he opens and closes the knives.
A lot of the noise you hear when he opens the blade is the sound of the liner lock snapping into position...it's not all coming from the back spring. The snap is noticeably less loud when he closes as compared to when he opens the blade.

I gotta agree with Sut on this...as I mentioned previously, I have owned close to 100 different "standard" RussLocks (unmodified factory production models) and without exception every single one had a very stiff back spring that would've been impossible to open as easily as the guy demonstrating his one-hand opening method in the video. I would only believe it if I sent him one of my RussLocks and he could OHO it the same as he does with his. Either he is using a modified RussLock (possibly even one with a poorly heat-treated back spring that is worn out from frequent opening & closing), or he has a freakishly strong thumb--and it does not appear that he is straining or flexing particularly hard when he squeezes or puts pressure on the extended tang.

Color me skeptical. ::undecided::

~Q~

Edit: I just watched the last video (Bermuda Green RussLock with pocket clip) and although he only opened the knife one time, he did use the same OHO method as on the other RussLock (Black G-10). But, I noticed that he used two hands to close it... ::hmm::

~Q~
TwoFlowersLuggage

Well, I don't really have a dog in this hunt - I don't even own a Russlock! :lol:

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”