Brutes and slicers

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Caseman601225

Brutes and slicers

Post by Caseman601225 »

A few years back I watched a Benchmade promo video where the guy took a Contego (right) and, I don't know, batonned through a 2x4, chopped down a forest, some such. Anyway, I just HAD to have one. And it's a great knife. M4 is good blade steel and as you can tell, it's seen some use. But as I examined what I actually do with a knife daily, I realized that I open a lot more envelopes than I pocket knife my way through firewood. I do more slicing than batonning (I've actually never batonned I my life and am not sure I'm even spelling it right. Long story short, the BM doesn't get near the pocket time the Spyderco gets. It's more "delicate" sure. But it's geometry fits more of what I do with a knife.

I'm not sure there's a question in any of this. More an observation. How much thought do you give to what you'll actually use the knife for when you pick what goes in your pocket?
Attachments
IMG_1342.JPG
FRJ

Re: Brutes and slicers

Post by FRJ »

If I have specific task in mind I'll try to choose a knife for it, but usually I just grab anything.

Nice knives you have there, Caseman. ::tu::
Attachments
DSCN8984.JPG
DSCN8991.JPG
DSCN9002.JPG
DSCN9015.JPG
DSCN9051.JPG
DSCN9068.JPG
DSCN9077.JPG
DSCN9086.JPG
DSCN9100.JPG
DSCN9416.JPG
Joe
Caseman601225

Post by Caseman601225 »

Naw, Buddy! Those are tools. The knives in your pics are sheer artistry.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Nothing is good at everything. You can't carry them all. I love my Buck 110's have daily carried one for 30 plus years. It does most of what I need, but if preparing a meal (in the field), cutting onions is a frustration. (I consider slicing an onion with a good sharp thin knife one of life's simple pleasures).

About 5 years ago I began carrying a small SAK in my watch pocket for the tools scissors, tweezers, tooth pick, & nail file. I realized they were all things my BUCK could not do well. The surprise was how often that the teeny knife blade has saved the day. Even it has things it is very good at, sometimes it is just right.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The Hinderer XM-18 was preceded by much online discussion and anticipation of it's expected superb performance. At this time Rick was making every knife himself, i.e. all are full customs. Hence i really lucked out by being one of the few who actually received a full custom XM-18.
I carried this knife and really wanted to enjoy my expensive and special knife but found it didn't cut very well. Things i used a knife for, like cutting through a 1" stick, required a lot of pressure and multiple cuts. The XM-18 is not comfortable in hand when you grip it hard to apply cutting pressure. Any one of my many $10 Rough Riders was able to cut through the same branch with relative ease.
Then i understood: the XM-18 was possibly The Best folding knife available to cut yourself out of a downed helicopter. As i had no plans to ride in helicopters i sold my Hinderer XM-18. The knife hype was even stronger and this became the only knife i bought new and sold for a profit.
Lesson learned: think about what you will be using a knife for and then assess if blade geometry is suitable before buying a knife to carry & use.
kj
gino

Post by gino »

For EDC the tasks I use my knives for are cutting foods and I like a long blade for that like my current EDC this old QUEEN
If I’m working in the garage or doing some chores around the house I’ll use a knife more suitable depending on what’s involved like this BENCHMADE
I also take the BENCHMADE along every day to work no matter what else I EDC
Attachments
6BE72E8E-BEC5-4BE9-8335-0753F95533BB.jpeg
D692B2F1-5E18-43B4-BC03-08DB766B6C59.jpeg
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

The Best folding knife available to cut yourself out of a downed helicopter. As i had no plans to ride in helicopters i sold my Hinderer XM-18
::rotflol::

Dennis
Attachments
Damn Glad I had my XM-18.jpeg
Damn Glad I had my XM-18.jpeg (15.72 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
alabama

Post by alabama »

these type knives I have to admit work well-but I'm 60 years old and like my knives and cars to be made out of steel and natural materials-(handles)-I recently saw an expensive half million or more car-lamborghini I think-all plastic-wide and low-LOOKED LIKE GIANT CHUNK OF TUPPERWARE...
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

For brutes I agree with the Benchmades for me it's my '98" Stryker but I can't leave out THE Buck 110 ::huff:: as for slicers a Buck 121 in the woods water and field ::nod:: ::nod:: SLICER Opinel'in camp or in my home #8. ::tu:: ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_0584.JPG
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Not sure exactly how to respond to this thread. Although I love to see outrageous knives I rarely would want to own one. I have a few(!)that would fit that term and at times wonder why I purchased them in the first place. Likely because of their outrageousness. For want of a better word it might be known as,"Crocodile Dundee Syndrome";i.e.:"That's not a knife....THIS is a knife!"
A couple of examples: an Italian stiletto that is almost 9 inches long closed. An Al Mar S.E.R.E. A Cold Steel Recon 1.A 19th century navaja that is almost a foot long closed.Several different Pakistani made folders;one of which is a 4 blade congress pattern that is a full 12 inches long closed.
Now except for the Al Mar and the Cold Steel these knives were NOT made to be carried but rather displayed and joked about.
On the other end of the spectrum we have what are commonly called,"Miniatures" which also are pretty much useless as tools and more for display of how small a cutler can work. These also hold a fascination.
Somewhere in between these two extremes we have what is known as a,"working knife".What the specifics of those knives are is pretty much up to the user as to his needs.
The Buck 110 has pretty much been thought of as an ideal all around knife for many people. I have several and have used them in everyday work situations and found them capable albeit a bit handle heavy for my tastes. A Buck 186 Titan makes a better choice(in my opinion)due to it's lighter weight but same strength.Unfortunately it was discontinued quite early on.
Now that I have limited need for a heavy duty knife most of my choices are for a smaller pen knife;preferably one with a small pointy blade for cutting out patterns. I don't hunt or spend any time camping so my need of a camp knife or axe is non-existent.Any carving that I do is mainly slicing up ribs or chicken breasts for my wife which is capably handled by a handmade butcher knife I bought for a quarter at a yard sale.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

eveled wrote:You can't carry them all.
Is that a challenge?? ::sneaky::
eveled

Post by eveled »

I know I can't carry all of mine. I shouldn't speak for others. LOL!

Garddog56 my Dad called the Opinel a lunch box knife. A guy he worked with kept one in his lunch box and used it to slice his apple. They are great knives, with lots of history. I have the huge one, my kids call it the watermelon knife I make sure I have it in the truck during the summer for watermelon on the road.
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

I carry a Benchmade Mini Barrage as my Brute. It is indestructible. It is also very comfortable to hold and carry. It has done my hard work for me. Now for my slicer I use my Imperial Fish knife. It has the thinnest blade and with its carbon steel it sharpens up like a scalpel! I have more expensive knives I could use to slice them veggies but none will do the job that the carbon Imperial Fish Knife. I just cant say enough about it! It really surprises me how much I enjoy using it. Thanks for looking! :)
Attachments
20180218_184833.jpg
20180218_184935.jpg

Return to “General Knife Discussion”