Buck 313

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Buck 313

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I picked up this Buck 313 muskrat for a few bucks over the weekend. It is a little rough, but can be revived. The one thing obvious is it is missing the Buck shield on the handle. Anyone know if these are available from Buck? I guess it could always be replaced with a plain nickel silver one if not.
IMG_1988.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Landersknives

Re: Buck 313

Post by Landersknives »

I would bet if you contacted Buck they would help you out.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Landersknives wrote:I would bet if you contacted Buck they would help you out.
I have already called Buck and it would have to be sent in to them to be replaced. I am very hesitant to send something like this pre 1986 model in to them after hearing of bad experiences doing this. If you read their warranty terms carefully, they can either repair the knife or REPLACE WITH A NEW BUCK KNIFE AT OUR OPTION. This means they could send back to you a completely different current production model if your knife is an older out of production one. I presume this also means that they could replace your old American made model with a current production Chinese made knife. A friend of mine sent in a Model 120 General with the 7 1/2" blade and a chip broken out of the black phenolic handle. He waited 4 months and then got something back, a different current production knife altogether. He contacted them about getting his original knife back, and they told him since he had already received his replacement, the warranty claim was closed and his knife was "no longer there". I wonder if others have had problems like this?
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

I will look and see if I have a shield. Can you give the dimensions of it? That way I can be sure it will fit if I have one.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Landersknives wrote:I will look and see if I have a shield. Can you give the dimensions of it? That way I can be sure it will fit if I have one.
The oval on this 313 is 1.072" long x .238" high.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

After another call to Buck customer service, I ended up sending the 313 in to them. They assured me that I would get my original knife back even if they could not fix it. They said the 313 is a discontinued model (mine is pre 1986), but they almost always have old knives around that they could lift a used but good shield from to replace my missing one. They told me to note on the repair form that I printed out from their website that I wanted the original knife back and would not accept a new replacement, which I did. Sent it off this morning, we will see what happens.
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:After another call to Buck customer service, I ended up sending the 313 in to them. They assured me that I would get my original knife back even if they could not fix it. They said the 313 is a discontinued model (mine is pre 1986), but they almost always have old knives around that they could lift a used but good shield from to replace my missing one. They told me to note on the repair form that I printed out from their website that I wanted the original knife back and would not accept a new replacement, which I did. Sent it off this morning, we will see what happens.
Awesome! I looked and I don’t have one but I was trying to find one for you before I said anything. I am glad Buck is helping out! Outstanding.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Got the knife back from Buck and it looks great. They really did it up good. They had it about 6 weeks. They replaced the shield, polished the bolsters and blades and sharpened it. Great customer service by Buck. My only cost was to ship it to them.
IMG_2119.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

::tu:: :D ::tu::

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”