Canoe etch?

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Caseman601225

Canoe etch?

Post by Caseman601225 »

Just found this Case 62131 in what I think is wonderful user condition in some of my Dad's stuff. Perfect snap. No blade wobble. A little light rust on both blades that I'm about to oil off.

The stamp is Case XX USA. The canoe pattern always makes it hard for me to see if there are dots. I can't tell. I have some canoes without the pic etched on the blade. This is the only one I have with the canoe pic. When did they put the Native American (politically correct, I think) paddling the canoe on the blade? Will this help narrow down the date? Why do some have it and some don't? Thanks for any help.
Attachments
IMG_1253.JPG
IMG_1254.JPG
IMG_1256.JPG
IMG_1257.JPG
donjr

Re: Canoe etch?

Post by donjr »

Not for sure, but I believe they started etching them in the Mid 1970's. If Steve comes along, he can tell you for sure.
Caseman601225

Post by Caseman601225 »

I was actually about to post that. Just found an old post that said around '75. Try as I might, I can't see the dots on this one.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I think it was about the same time as when they started etching the elephant on the 6250. 1973 or 74.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

what a wonderful thing to find of your dad's ::tu:: it's the reason I try to carry the same knife as much as possible as me and my daughter's go camping as much as we can and other outdoor pursuits so they see me using a pocket knife alot,hopefully when I'm no longer here they can look at these things with great memories ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

I really like those Canoe's with the Indian on the blade. It's more than a simple etch, it's more like an engraving. It's deep and it won't come off. I had a 1973 that I sent to Case for new blades but they said their production methods had changed and they couldn't do it. That was a well built, rock solid knife.

I just gave it to a friend. Probably going to get another one someday. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

It was in 1974 that Case started the etching both on the Canoe and on the 6250.

You will find some six dot 74 examples of each pattern with the plain blade, since they started the etch some time after the start of the year. I have also heard of a few 7 dot blades made with the etch, but not certain that those exist. If true they are the result of some leftover 7 dot blades used up in 74. Part of the problem is the usual difficulty in seeing all of the dots on a canoe due to the bolster.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”