J.Howarth

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Caseman601225

J.Howarth

Post by Caseman601225 »

I was going through a junk drawer in my Dad's old room a while ago. He was a pack rat and going through his stuff is like digging for treasure. I came across a little single blade wharncliffe folder with J Howarth Sheffield England on the tang. I can tell you this is no high-value collector piece, but I love a Wharnie and with about 10 good passes per side on a bench stone it's popping hair. I googled up some info and most of what I found regarded tools. I'm a curious sort and wondered if anybody could point me toward some higher education about them. I'm gonna carry the little sucker. Thanks.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: J.Howarth

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Goins' Encyclopedia lists Howarth England c 1920-present. Sheffield, England at the Meadow Works.

Levine's Guide lists Howarth, J. Trademark Meadow Works, Sheffield, England 19??-present.

That's all it says.

How about a picture of it?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Caseman601225

Post by Caseman601225 »

I'm trying. You'd think this far into the millennium I'd have some tech skill. But I can't figure out how to post one.
alabama

Post by alabama »

that's because you have never done it-LIKE ME-instructions on this website--somewhere...lets find a 9 year old girl to show us..
Caseman601225

Post by Caseman601225 »

There's a 6 year old running around here somewhere who could show me. I guarantee it. He's found things on this phone I've never seen, and can't re-find.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Okay guys, go to the AAPK Tips and Tricks forum viewforum.php?f=98. Scroll down the threads until you find the one pertaining to whatever device you're using. PC, Android, or Apple. IPhone is down toward the bottom of the page (iPad works the same way). There's a separate thread on how to post pictures from each.

It's not difficult. Even I can do it!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Caseman601225

Post by Caseman601225 »

That's embarrassingly simple, Ken. I swear that little attachments tab wasn't there earlier!
Attachments
IMG_1248.JPG
IMG_1249.JPG
IMG_1250.JPG
Caseman601225

Post by Caseman601225 »

At any rate, as you can see, I'm not talking about a valuable collector knife here. I love the old stuff and I love learning about the folks who made them. I'm a carbon steel fan, and love the edge it took.

My Dad was one of a kind. I got him into eBay several years before he passed and he would bid on stuff that would have me scratching my head, like boxes full of busted knives,or knives with big scale cracks, etc. He said, "These knives have character!" And sometimes he'd wind up with a cool surprise. I'm sure this little guy was one of those surprises. Not worth much, but it gave us all something to talk about for a while. :)
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That's a nice knife.
How long is it closed?
You're a lucky guy, packin your dads knife. ::tu::
Joe
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

::tu::

Nice old knife. I'd carry it too!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Caseman601225

Post by Caseman601225 »

Just shy of 3-1/2" closed. Blade length is roughly 2".

My Dad was my best friend. I usually have something of his around. I miss him terribly. I even wore one of his old belts today (Don't tell anybody! There are laws!! Lol).
Attachments
IMG_1251.JPG
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Great keepsakes caseman! My dad is my hero as well! Carry them in good health! :)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Caseman I'm glad you shared them and I'm also glad you are proud of them because they were his.
Caseman601225

Post by Caseman601225 »

Thank you. Maybe we should have a keepsakes thread where we can show some of the blades we have that hold special memories or represent special people. I may gather up some things tomorrow and post one. I'm a sentimental sort. :)
wlf

Post by wlf »

That's a lamb foot blade caseman, they were or still could be popular in the UK.

Welcome
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Caseman601225

Post by Caseman601225 »

Lambsfoot? Really? Thank you. My ignorance is showing.
Caseman601225

Post by Caseman601225 »

First off, I knew better than to call that a wharncliffe. I would, had I been thinking, said sheepsfoot. I did some googling and found some good info on the difference Bren sheep and lamb. This knife is definitely a lambsfoot.

I love learnin :mrgreen: ::tu::

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”