GEC Auctions of Note

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe

GEC Auctions of Note

Post by kootenay joe »

I follow some of the GEC's listed on ebay. I regularly get surprised by one that sells very high. Rarely is it that i am surprised because selling price is lower than original price.
I had a bunch of these high surprises saved in a list on ebay but recently deleted them as i was needing the space for new listings.
I think it would be interesting to have a thread here that documents GEC auctions in which the selling price surprised you as very high or rather low. Over time it might show which patterns regularly go very high and this will help us to spot a 'deal' if one of these is about to sell on the low side.
To start here is a 2006 #23 pattern with "Herringbone Walnut Jigged Bone" handles that just sold for $450.
Please post GEC's whose prices have surprised you.
kj
Attachments
s-l1600 (12).jpg
tongueriver

Re: GEC Auctions of Note

Post by tongueriver »

For that particular example especially, surprise is certainly the word. It is an ugly knife. I can't imagine ANY GEC selling for that price unless in ivory, and it better be damn fine ivory. It is remarkable how copious quantities of alcohol can sometimes open the inhibition/logic floodgates. Perhaps this may have had something to do with cerebral impairment, either temporary or long-standing.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

That was the first year of production. Anything from 2006 sells pretty high, although that seems exceptionally high, especially for the heringbone. They made more of them than some of the other handle materials.

Eric
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

These didn't really surprise me but I found them on an Ebay "Sold Listings" search. The third one is apparently a 1 of 2 Prototype but DANG!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GEC-Northfield ... SwqfZaaNj4

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gerat-Eastern- ... Sw0A9aLcR4

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Eastern- ... Sws5BaX~P9
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Cal, GEC knives are 'HOT' right now. There are many new knife collectors who focus on GEC and are trying to build sub groupings, like an example of all the varieties on the #15 frame, etc. They are not buying for beauty. That's just us old farts.
As for ivory, i fellow i buy from tells me he had four #46 (or 45 ?) pattern knives with ivory handles which he sold, all to the same person, for $1500. That is $1500 each for a total of $6,000.
Instead of a link it is better to post a picture of the knife which then is always here for viewing, not taken down like an auction.
kj
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

kootenay joe wrote: Instead of a link it is better to post a picture of the knife which then is always here for viewing, not taken down like an auction.
kj
I agree that pictures would be better and a month ago I would have done that very thing. I learned right here on this forum a couple weeks ago that some people don't take too kindly to having their photos copied without prior consent. I respect that and as a result, I've decided not to do that anymore.

The sellers and I don't know each other and I don't feel comfortable asking them for permission.

In this case, those links will have to do.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have been unaware of complaints from ebay sellers about their pictures being shared. I think once you post on line you are giving up control of the image (or text). I will take a picture down if i receive a complaint.

Northfield 462211 Burnt Stag $549.99

Tidioute 452112LT STL Frontier Bone $510

Tidioute 2007 "Prototype" 53 Stockman pattern, Ram's Horn $676.66
kj
Attachments
s-l1600 (13).jpg
s-l1600 (14).jpg
s-l1600 (15).jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Great Eastern Cutlery GEC 15 Ancient TC Barlow in Scratted Parchment Bone Knife. 15C115, Feb 16, 2018, sold for $420.95
kj
Attachments
s-l1600 (16).jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

O.K. three more high priced GEC's to note:
772115 sold for $502
2007 #73 with "gold oyster" handles sold for $482
154115 sold for $422

Please feel free to post high priced GEC (at least double original price). I started this thread but doesn't mean only i should post in it.
kj
Attachments
s-l1600 (17).jpg
s-l1600.png
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (33.09 KiB) Viewed 10170 times
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

I found the sale of an excellent condition, but used and carried FACTORY 2ND 852116eo in jigged bone interesting. $415.00. I would have thought a BIN price of $170 excessive.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2480751219
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

kootenay joe wrote:Great Eastern Cutlery GEC 15 Ancient TC Barlow in Scratted Parchment Bone Knife. 15C115, Feb 16, 2018, sold for $420.95
kj
That's crazy. I got my smooth Parchment Bone Ancient over a year & a half ago on the Bay for less than $200. Timing may have something to do with that.
-Tim
knowtracks

Post by knowtracks »

There were 2 Clip blade TC's from 2014 that just sold on fea-bay for $305.00 each and a Stew's blade TC from 2014 that went for $231.50
Right now there is a Spear blade TC from 2013 with 3 1/2 hrs left that has a $305.00 bid on it. :mrgreen:

Dave
I don't speak no Flathead ya know!
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here is a Northfield 77 Barlow that sold for $570!
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Great-Eastern-Cu ... 2718220061
Attachments
s-l400 (31).jpg
s-l400 (31).jpg (15.39 KiB) Viewed 9999 times
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

luke.jpg
luke.jpg (5.8 KiB) Viewed 9992 times
Those prices are all crazy. Almost custom prices. To throw out more movie references, I'm imagining some reclusive multimillionaire Bond villain type who sends his Odd Job man servant out to acquire art, antiquities, and GEC knives.
oddjob.jpg
oddjob.jpg (7.39 KiB) Viewed 9992 times
"Get me that Picasso sketch, the golden monkey idol, and a #85EOJ. Price is no object."
idol.jpg
idol.jpg (7.26 KiB) Viewed 9992 times
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Greg, that Northfield #77 for $570 ! I do not understand why some people need that knife that much. This is why i started this thread, to note these very highly priced ones to see if we can figure out WHY ?
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

The #77 frame appears to be quite versatile spawning several different styles of knife. I see that the current 77 SFO for CK is already sold out before the knives have been delivered. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

kootenay joe wrote:Greg, that Northfield #77 for $570 ! I do not understand why some people need that knife that much. This is why i started this thread, to note these very highly priced ones to see if we can figure out WHY ?
I suspect some of this may be a market overreaction to the cessation of operations at DFC/Queen, one of the only real "premium" American cutlers still out there trying to navigate a dwindling market. The GECs that just aren't being made any more are seeing huge upticks in value. I feel lucky that I managed to get a #15 TC sheepsfoot in ebony just before so before many completed auction prices climbed to well over double what I paid (which to me at the time was stiff but fair).

I think we are at that point in GEC's corporate growth and development, however, that most of the new runs will be numbered in a way that prevents the lolly scramble on the aftermarket so soon (pump n dump flippers, selling knives not even in hand yet, etc.) because the first-run dealers get just enough to handle initial demand and the supply keeps GEC's coffers happy while frustrating the dash-for-cash payoff that doesn't benefit GEC in the slightest. I'm sure GEC has done the market research already.

In other words, expect to continue paying custom prices for those beautiful Whalers and Ancient TCs ( ::disgust:: ::disgust:: ::disgust:: ) but maybe don't count on a 200% profit from that camel bone #43 going forward.
gsmith7158 wrote:The #77 frame appears to be quite versatile spawning several different styles of knife. I see that the current 77 SFO for CK is already sold out before the knives have been delivered. ::nod::
The #77 NF Barlow appears to share the #15 TC Barlow's desirability both in first-run and on the secondary market. The Washington Jack built on the same frame but with an endcap bolster is also widely popular, though I don't think it fetches the same 200%+ price on the secondary market just yet. The only 77 one I own to date is the 2016 when I just so happened to be in my office when the alert came (though I am grateful to have two reservations for forthcoming 2018 NF Barlows in hand). Despite the impetus to lock them away in a climate-controlled safe due to that desirability I plan to make at least one of them a user. Let that first bolster scratch be easy to handle. ::mdm::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I just read a post at BF in which a poster states that he has been able to get an example of the #43 in every handle choice offered except for one SFO.
I think in part this is what is driving the GEC secondary market to high levels. If your compulsions dictate that you need 'one of everything' of a certain pattern and all you need is 1 or 2 specific examples to complete your set, then you might bid quite high esp. if the needed examples are not often seen.
I think in a few years ( about 5 ?) the fascination of having so many GEC knives of the same pattern will wane and these dedicated GEC collectors likely will be selling some knives at a loss.
kj
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

An oposite eBay listing of note. Auction number 152989840742. Would have been nice to see this buy it now first.
Screenshot_2018-04-19-20-12-42.png
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here's one to marvel at. A stag 43 at $394 with 4 hours to go.
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Great-Eastern-Cu ... %7Ciid%3A1
Attachments
s-l400 (40).jpg
s-l400 (40).jpg (43.64 KiB) Viewed 7363 times
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Considering I recently saw a #15 beer scout in draft beer acrylic listed in the AAPK store for $288 (yes, the same variation that is still available at first-run dealers for regular retail price), I'll believe just about anything on the GEC secondary market these days. ::disgust::
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

The buyer of the above lot I noted has all 5 knives for sale. The 15 starts at 200, the 35 at 92, the 99 is bid up at 112, the 78 at 116 [it will be a high selling price] and the 21 is at 100. 4 days to go, :mrgreen:
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

robbobus wrote:An oposite eBay listing of note. Auction number 152989840742. Would have been nice to see this buy it now first.
eBay can't seem to find auction number 152989840742 in its advanced search. Got a link? I'm interested to see this seller's other items.

Here's an Ironwood #77 with 12 bids, high bid currently $240 with over 2 days to go.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GREAT-EASTERN- ... 3627596744

Elderberry camel bone #77 with a BIN price of $325. Good luck...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Eastern- ... 2739573951

The #47 Viper with "blade play" at the half-stop for $215 is interesting, too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Eastern- ... 2583675587

Oh well. Screw it. I like my new #77s too much to flip them, even for $100-200 profit. And nobody's getting their hands on my Viper. ::huff::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

It works for me when I type in advanced search and click completed auctions.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

robbobus wrote:It works for me when I type in advanced search and click completed auctions.
Ah, didn't scroll down far enough to notice it wasn't including completed listings. It seems the other auctions have ended as well.

Let's hope he finds 5 more GECs he needs to get rid of quickly. :lol: What a deal!

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”