4 line Camillus/Sword brand Scout knife

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Landersknives

4 line Camillus/Sword brand Scout knife

Post by Landersknives »

I set out to restore this knife to its former glory. The black plastic scales were starting to shrink and I thought they did not do the knife justice. So here is my journey. First the disassembly of the knife:
EB110DCD-0B29-426F-AC18-719B9AAC61AE.jpeg
472689F8-EBAA-4D84-9157-2B5F5FD15E51.jpeg
2242C13B-7AED-47D8-ABEE-6BC17204982B.jpeg
107BD52E-89CD-44AC-845A-92EB7F476C06.jpeg
534084C2-0622-4FE8-A9F6-7CA0B32C1E8E.jpeg
After that clean up, then new bone, then reassemble the knife. Sorry I get carried away and I don’t take pictures like I should. Please let me know what you think.
Attachments
7D476F09-A3EA-44DE-9D5C-2C36A8C825C5.jpeg
B6751A9A-078A-40A4-86FE-F44245EE635F.jpeg
D1AB238C-FDBB-4EAC-9F3D-FA58998D5039.jpeg
B188CB7E-5170-4C18-AC62-D5E93ACCCC7D.jpeg
ACADA5C1-F448-4BE2-BAC5-2F53A6B144C1.jpeg
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
espn77

Re: 4 line Camillus/Sword brand Scout knife

Post by espn77 »

I really like the handle material you have been using. Looks great. ::tu::
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

espn77 wrote:I really like the handle material you have been using. Looks great. ::tu::
Thank you my friend. It turned out really nice. I appreciate the encouragement. ::handshake::
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Nice job Ed ::tu:: Where did the bone come from?
Roger
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

peanut740 wrote:Nice job Ed ::tu:: Where did the bone come from?
Thanks Roger. The bone came from Culpepper. I don’t want to tell you wrong on the type. When I get home I will double check the type and let you know.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Wow, it looks better than brand new. Like those bones.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Nice! The new bone really makes it pop!
Delmar Morgan

Post by Delmar Morgan »

That is a nice one.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Ed you have greatly improved the eye appeal of that knife. I too find the new bone covers very pleasing to the eye. It reminds me a lot of Rogers Bone. You've done a fine job. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

doglegg wrote:Wow, it looks better than brand new. Like those bones.
Thank you very much. Glad that you like it.
glennbad wrote:Nice! The new bone really makes it pop!
Thanks Glennbad! I really appreciate the comment my friend.
Delmar Morgan wrote:That is a nice one.
Thanks Delmar. ::tu::
philco wrote:Ed you have greatly improved the eye appeal of that knife. I too find the new bone covers very pleasing to the eye. It reminds me a lot of Rogers Bone. You've done a fine job. ::tu::
Thank you so much for the encouraging words, Philco. All the encouragement makes me smile. Thanks for all the comments from everyone.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Outstanding!!! ::tu::
Greg
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Wow, that turned out great!! I have a camper/scout on the back burner right now and you are "nudging" me to finish it up! The inletting of the shield is the intimidating part to me. Any tips on doing this successfully?
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Great job! As others of said the bone handles are beautiful.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Great work! It looks ten times better and that bone really sets It off! Nice job.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:Wow, that turned out great!! I have a camper/scout on the back burner right now and you are "nudging" me to finish it up! The inletting of the shield is the intimidating part to me. Any tips on doing this successfully?
Is it the same type of shield? If so those shields were heat pressed into the plastic scales. Once you remove it you will see 4 pointed, mmmm for lack of a better term, sharp nipples sticking out of the back of the shield. I took the old plastic scale and placed it over the top of my new bone and wrapped each end with painters tape to hold it in place. Then I took my dremel and a small bit(3/64 or similar) and using the old scale as a template I drilled out the 4 holes. Once you have those drilled...oh note I did not drill all the way through bone and through the liner just about half way. I took my end cutters and modified the size of the nipples making them smaller and even more pointed and then I began to gently enlarge the holes just enough for the shield to fit flush to the bone. Once that is accomplished I used a diamond bit with a point and I outlined the outside of the shield. Once I had my outline I took that diamond bit and a couple others to route out the shape of the shield. Then I epoxied the shield in and clamped it over night. I have a variable speed dremel 4000. I take it slow when routing the shape and speed up a little when cleaning out the middle. The main thing is don’t get in a hurry. Take your time. I get anxious wanting to see the finished project but I have to tell myself all good things come to those who wait. I hope this has helped Olde Cutler. Thanks for asking. ::handshake::
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

sunknife wrote:Outstanding!!! ::tu::
Thank you very much! :D
edge213 wrote:Great job! As others of said the bone handles are beautiful.
Thanks! ::tu::
orvet wrote:Great work! It looks ten times better and that bone really sets It off! Nice job.
Dale you and Glennbad and several others here at AAPK have inspired me so many times. Anytime one of you gentlemen take the time to comment/encourage/critique to make me better, well I have no words other than thank you. ( And that really doesn’t seem to do it justice) As you know knife restoration is a labor of love and the encouragement is greatly appreciated. ::handshake::
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Landersknives wrote:
peanut740 wrote:Nice job Ed ::tu:: Where did the bone come from?
Thanks Roger. The bone came from Culpepper. I don’t want to tell you wrong on the type. When I get home I will double check the type and let you know.
Roger the bone is called Catalina Bamboo my friend.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

What a great job you did on the knife. It looks terrific. ::tu::
Joe
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Landersknives wrote:
orvet wrote:Great work! It looks ten times better and that bone really sets It off! Nice job.
Dale you and Glennbad and several others here at AAPK have inspired me so many times. Anytime one of you gentlemen take the time to comment/encourage/critique to make me better, well I have no words other than thank you. ( And that really doesn’t seem to do it justice) As you know knife restoration is a labor of love and the encouragement is greatly appreciated. ::handshake::
Thank you Ed, I am honored and humbled that you hold my opinion in such high regard and I am sure Glenn shares the same feelings.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

FRJ wrote:What a great job you did on the knife. It looks terrific. ::tu::
Thank you Joe! :D
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

orvet wrote:
Landersknives wrote:
Thank you Ed, I am honored and humbled that you hold my opinion in such high regard and I am sure Glenn shares the same feelings.
Absolutely, what Dale said! Hey, I'm just a guy that likes to bang and grind on things in my shop. It was others (like Dale, Elvis, MuskratMan, etc) that posted their work and inspired me to do what I am doing now. I still make mistakes all the time, so this type of work keeps you grounded... :oops:
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Thanks Ed. ::handshake::
Roger
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Landersknives wrote:
OLDE CUTLER wrote:Wow, that turned out great!! I have a camper/scout on the back burner right now and you are "nudging" me to finish it up! The inletting of the shield is the intimidating part to me. Any tips on doing this successfully?
Is it the same type of shield? If so those shields were heat pressed into the plastic scales. Once you remove it you will see 4 pointed, mmmm for lack of a better term, sharp nipples sticking out of the back of the shield. I took the old plastic scale and placed it over the top of my new bone and wrapped each end with painters tape to hold it in place. Then I took my dremel and a small bit(3/64 or similar) and using the old scale as a template I drilled out the 4 holes. Once you have those drilled...oh note I did not drill all the way through bone and through the liner just about half way. I took my end cutters and modified the size of the nipples making them smaller and even more pointed and then I began to gently enlarge the holes just enough for the shield to fit flush to the bone. Once that is accomplished I used a diamond bit with a point and I outlined the outside of the shield. Once I had my outline I took that diamond bit and a couple others to route out the shape of the shield. Then I epoxied the shield in and clamped it over night. I have a variable speed dremel 4000. I take it slow when routing the shape and speed up a little when cleaning out the middle. The main thing is don’t get in a hurry. Take your time. I get anxious wanting to see the finished project but I have to tell myself all good things come to those who wait. I hope this has helped Olde Cutler. Thanks for asking. ::handshake::[/quote

Thanks for the tip. I have an old shield to practice on some scrap wood, before the real thing. Will give it a shot.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”