3 'Special Purpose' Knives ?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
kootenay joe

3 'Special Purpose' Knives ?

Post by kootenay joe »

Here are 3 Fixed blades, from 8 1/2" to 10 1/2", 2 USA, Dexter & R. Murphy, and 1 German, F. Herder.
The Dexter has the round handle shaved to flat on the sides, rather odd.
I think all 3 have a special purpose in some industrial or agricultural application. The Herder might however be a kitchen food prep knife ?
My guess for the Murphy is leather work, but exactly what aspect i have no idea, and it's only a guess.
If you know these blade profiles please post.
kj
Attachments
IMGP3446.JPG
IMGP3438.JPG
IMGP3441.JPG
IMGP3444.JPG
knife7knut

Re: 3 'Special Purpose' Knives ?

Post by knife7knut »

I believe the Dexter is a leather working knife but not sure exactly what function. The Herder looks like a small parer.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Dexter/Russell still makes all these knives, and probably Herder as well.

I have some much older ones in a box, an assortment of three different shoe knives used for cutting leather in the making of shoes of course. They are also used today for cutting, splicing, trimming, etc. rubber and plastic, in fact with an 8" blade the top knife in your first picture is used for cutting rubber and is called a rubber knife but it can be used for several different materials.
AAPK Janitor
alabama

Post by alabama »

i ordered some murphy knives several years ago-they are still in business-studied up on them a bit-you got it right-they list this knife as a shoe knife-they make some industrial knives-commercial knives for opening shellfish,ect....-the others look like work knives for a specific purpose---by the way murphy made all herders fixed blade knives....Kendal at bladematrix sells murphy knives-they make a neat Canadian style skinner-1095 steel..youtube used to have factory tour...
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks for your posts. So Murphy knife = 'shoe making' knife, and Dexter is a rubber cutter. Herder might also be for leather/shoe work ?
Please let me know if this is not correct.
kj
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

KJ, suffice it to say that they are used in industrial settings, I used them in a boot making plant in ' 64, in the late 60's I worked in none wovens fabrics and we used them there, but we call them shoe knives, but they could be used for lots of things, I've cut a lot of cardboard with them, very good carbon steel back in the day took a good edge and held it. ::tu::
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

The Murphy knives are sold at wood carvers shows and carvers supply houses. I prefer the interchangeable blade kit they sell.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's a Herder similar to the one pictured.
Attachments
DSCN9985.JPG
Joe
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Looks like the same knife but one size larger. I bought mine on ebay. They sell for a low price likely because most of us don't know what they are.
kj
alabama

Post by alabama »

if you like old school knives try some murphy knives-all but fish knives are regular old 1095 steel like your grannies 'old hickory' kitchen knife..and kabars,ect. the Canadian style knives are ugly to me but feel very good in the hand..
alabama

Post by alabama »

once again-herders modern (fixed blade) knives are made by murphy...I think herders started in 1630something a little before murphys time-
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

thanks alabama.
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”