GREAT EASTERN PRIVATE LABEL, CLUB KNIVES & SFO's

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
User avatar
m0nk
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:31 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: GREAT EASTERN PRIVATE LABEL, CLUB KNIVES & SFO's

Postby m0nk » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:52 am

Info might be around here somewhere, if so please give me a vector, but any word yet on a 2018 AAPK Club Knife? How does that work? Newbie questions.

Lee

User avatar
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 6127
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:25 pm
Location: Marietta, Ga. 35% of the time

Re: GREAT EASTERN PRIVATE LABEL, CLUB KNIVES & SFO's

Postby gsmith7158 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:37 pm

m0nk wrote:Info might be around here somewhere, if so please give me a vector, but any word yet on a 2018 AAPK Club Knife? How does that work? Newbie questions.

Lee

Lee ,we usually don't find out anything about that until the latter part of the year. Oct.-Nov. If Bryan uses GEC we should see it on their schedule. If he were to use someone else he will let us know when they are available.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

User avatar
Tsar Bomba
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 2400
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:14 am

Re: GREAT EASTERN PRIVATE LABEL, CLUB KNIVES & SFO's

Postby Tsar Bomba » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:16 pm

We're still getting over the honeymoon phase with the 2017 knife! :shock: :lol:

39038833144_b436164377_k.jpg
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

User avatar
m0nk
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:31 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: GREAT EASTERN PRIVATE LABEL, CLUB KNIVES & SFO's

Postby m0nk » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:56 pm

On Monday my new Smith & Sons Mudbug arrived smartly dressed in maroon micarta, and I love the knife... except for this ghastly gap between the lock lever and the handle cutout. I've never seen a lockback with a gap like this. So I emailed Smith & Sons and GEC, and they both said it's normal, not a defect. Smith & Sons was really nice about it and even offered to let me send it back for a refund. They said most of the mudbugs in this run have this same "characteristic". BTW, Smith & Sons has really good customer service; they're very responsive to questions. I'm not ready to send it back for a refund, but I'm not totally happy with it either. I mean, what am I paying for if not supurb fit and finish? The materials are better than a Case sodbuster, but I know the materials don't cost four times as much. (Case soddie is about $27, mudbug was $102 (they charge for shipping)). I can hear it now, you GEC non-enthusiasts out there laughing at me for paying too much for a knife...

What do you guys think? Have you ever seen anything like this? Does anyone else have a mudbug from a previous run with this lock lever gap? Would you send it back for a refund or just keep it and enjoy it, "character" and all?

Lee
Attachments
mudbug_gap2.PNG
visible gap, not just the edge
mudbug_gap1.PNG
light shining through the gap

doglegg
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 1252
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:35 am
Location: Texas

Re: GREAT EASTERN PRIVATE LABEL, CLUB KNIVES & SFO's

Postby doglegg » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:00 pm

The iKC Club knife from a few years ago.
DSCN4032.JPG
iKC Club knife

User avatar
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 3213
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:21 pm
Location: ♥Sweet Home Alabama♥

Re: GREAT EASTERN PRIVATE LABEL, CLUB KNIVES & SFO's

Postby royal0014 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:45 pm

m0nk wrote: So I emailed Smith & Sons and GEC, and they both said it's normal, not a defect.
What do you guys think? Have you ever seen anything like this?
Lee


Actually I've seen that gap in a lot of knives of the type.
Sometimes it is a defect of the lock bar.

In your case I believe it is a matter of the cut-out being a hair too deep.
Other than being a place to collect pocket lint, it is not a problem.

Just my 2 pennies worth, your mileage will vary . . . .
Chris
The light in the window is a crack in the sky
A stairway to darkness in the blink of an eye

User avatar
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 27386
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:23 am
Location: The middle of the top of a bastion of Liberalism.

Re: GREAT EASTERN PRIVATE LABEL, CLUB KNIVES & SFO's

Postby jerryd6818 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:58 pm

Scrolled through the thread and noticed I forgot to mention:


North Woods Delta Jack in Red Linen Micarta
North Woods Delta Jack in Red Linen Micarta - Open.JPG


And


Northwoods Willamette Whittler (Thanks to Greg Smith. What a beautiful knife and generous gift.)
Northwoods Willamette Whittler.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

User avatar
wazu013
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 2348
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:58 pm

Re: GREAT EASTERN PRIVATE LABEL, CLUB KNIVES & SFO's

Postby wazu013 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:12 pm

Ivory Broadway Jack no EO.
DSCN1413.JPG
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez

doglegg
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 1252
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:35 am
Location: Texas

Re: GREAT EASTERN PRIVATE LABEL, CLUB KNIVES & SFO's

Postby doglegg » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:46 pm

Jerryd I especially like that Willamette Whittler.

User avatar
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 27386
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:23 am
Location: The middle of the top of a bastion of Liberalism.

Re: GREAT EASTERN PRIVATE LABEL, CLUB KNIVES & SFO's

Postby jerryd6818 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:21 pm

Yeah, DL. Me too. A LOT.


Waz, the only way they could improve the Broadway Jack and the Delta Jack is by adding a pen blade to them. ::nod::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

User avatar
wazu013
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 2348
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:58 pm

Re: GREAT EASTERN PRIVATE LABEL, CLUB KNIVES & SFO's

Postby wazu013 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:40 pm

jerryd6818 wrote:Yeah, DL. Me too. A LOT.


Waz, the only way they could improve the Broadway Jack and the Delta Jack is by adding a pen blade to them. ::nod::

That would be interesting. Either way they are a couple of pretty solid knives.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez

User avatar
m0nk
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:31 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: GREAT EASTERN PRIVATE LABEL, CLUB KNIVES & SFO's

Postby m0nk » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:17 am

royal0014 wrote:Other than being a place to collect pocket lint, it is not a problem.


Chris, thanks for the input. I had decided to keep it already. I'm making a leather pancake sheath for it, so I don't know how much pocket lint will get in there! When I get the sheath done right I'll be sure to post a pic.

Jerry, I still love that Delta Jack. The price seemed expensive at the time, but if I had it to do again I would have pulled that trigger.

Lee

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 5244
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Re: GREAT EASTERN PRIVATE LABEL, CLUB KNIVES & SFO's

Postby kootenay joe » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:18 am

I have a Smith & Sons Mudbug with maroon micarta from 2014, outstanding knife, worth every penny of whatever i paid for it new from Smith & Sons.
Mine has no gap visible at the lock release but it would not trouble me if there was. With a big steel pivot pin and steel liners this is one solid knife and one that is Not For Sale.
kj

User avatar
m0nk
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:31 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: GREAT EASTERN PRIVATE LABEL, CLUB KNIVES & SFO's

Postby m0nk » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:10 am

kootenay joe wrote: With a big steel pivot pin and steel liners this is one solid knife and one that is Not For Sale.


KJ, you got that right! So I gave up on my pancake sheath project when my good friend surprised me for my birthday with a nicely done pancake sheath. I'll try to grab a pic of it next time I get the camera out. Here's the Mudbug by itself:

Lee
Attachments
mudbug_1.PNG

DM11
Silver Tier
Silver Tier
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:46 am
Location: Kansas

Re: GREAT EASTERN PRIVATE LABEL, CLUB KNIVES & SFO's

Postby DM11 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:18 am

m0nk wrote:On Monday my new Smith & Sons Mudbug arrived smartly dressed in maroon micarta, and I love the knife... except for this ghastly gap between the lock lever and the handle cutout. I've never seen a lockback with a gap like this. So I emailed Smith & Sons and GEC, and they both said it's normal, not a defect. Smith & Sons was really nice about it and even offered to let me send it back for a refund. They said most of the mudbugs in this run have this same "characteristic". BTW, Smith & Sons has really good customer service; they're very responsive to questions. I'm not ready to send it back for a refund, but I'm not totally happy with it either. I mean, what am I paying for if not supurb fit and finish? The materials are better than a Case sodbuster, but I know the materials don't cost four times as much. (Case soddie is about $27, mudbug was $102 (they charge for shipping)). I can hear it now, you GEC non-enthusiasts out there laughing at me for paying too much for a knife...

What do you guys think? Have you ever seen anything like this? Does anyone else have a mudbug from a previous run with this lock lever gap? Would you send it back for a refund or just keep it and enjoy it, "character" and all?

Lee



I have a OD Green Micrata Mudbug from the last run. It has a gap also. It doesnt hurt anything and isnt really visible unless your really looking for it. Mine is being used and I really like it.
David


Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 313 Mike, Colonel26, peanut740 and 4 guests