Can anyone help me I dentify these folding knives?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
RE Guy

Can anyone help me I dentify these folding knives?

Post by RE Guy »

Hi, I am new to the forum and don't really consider myself a collector, but I have more of an "accumulation" rather than a "collection" of about 20-30 knives. :D
Anyway, I picked up 3 folding knives at an auction last night and would like to know anything about them and help me figure out how to open one. The first (not pictured) is a common Camp King. The other 2 are clearly vintage bone and brass. the fatter one has 2 Chinese characters on it that I had translated and says "fish" "dog" and no other markings whatsoever on it. The skinny one has a star and "superior" visible while closed. I can't figure out how to open it. It isn't rusted closed, because I can squeeze the blade in tighter. Also, what is that little brass "dodad" with the hole in it on the side? could that be the way to release the blade? (I can't seem to get it to push/pull/slide in any direction) ::hmm::
Thanks for any insight on these!
Attachments
20180211_134744.jpg
20180211_134834.jpg
20180211_134452.jpg
20180211_134555.jpg
20180211_134632.jpg
20180211_134648.jpg
Chinese characters
Chinese characters
20180211_184039[1].jpg
Gunsil

Re: Can anyone help me I dentify these folding knives?

Post by Gunsil »

They both look Japanese to me. The one with the little lever is a switchblade. When the lever is in the position in photo number three you press down on it (toward the side of the knife) and the blade should pop out and lock open. You then need to depress the lever again to release the blade to manually close it. If the blade doesn't pop out the spring may be weak or broken but if you are pushing down on the blade while in closed position and you feel it push back a little it will likely work. These are illegal in some states so check out your laws before carrying it in public.
RE Guy

Post by RE Guy »

that did it! I was able to get it open - with help. I have to push the blade in to help release it. If there is a spring, it is worn out or too rusty to slide smoothly. If anyone knows more definitely about the possible origins I would like to know. I just love the hand carved bone handles, so they will sit on my display shelf.
oh btw I'm safe:
Texas revised the open carry laws in 2013 - any blade less than 5.5" can be carried openly except in certain areas (schools, bars etc.) I thought switchblades were double bladed knives anyway. (I've never seen one in person to really know) lol
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I agree - Japanese.

And welcome to AAPK!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
alabama

Post by alabama »

inexpensive japan knives-from the 70s-i think-growing up in the Owsley infused 70s in Birmingham suburb-my mind was not on knives..
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Yes, this jigging indicates Japan but earlier than 1970's i believe. More likely 1950's when Japan was recovering from WW II and their manufactured goods were rather crude. By 1970's cutlery from Japan had a more refined look.
I did not see any of these knives in the 1950's so i do not have proof for my assumption of made in 1950's.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Alabama, what is "Owsley" ?
kj
alabama

Post by alabama »

rather not say--he printed mind expanding ink on little pieces of paper-also windowpane,ect..
npeters3

Post by npeters3 »

alabama wrote:inexpensive japan knives-from the 70s-i think-growing up in the Owsley infused 70s in Birmingham suburb-my mind was not on knives..
I am totally lost. I tried to using my Google friend to help...........
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." -John Wooden
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

As has been said, those two knives - the bone - the jigging - the bolsters - just scream 1950's Japan.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

" little pieces of paper-also windowpane,ect." oh, like slice a purple cabbage and stare at it.
Merry Pranksters (Mary Pranksters ?)
kj
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Yeah - I'm pretty sure Alabama means Owsley Stanley - a particularly colorful guy who wanted everyone to see the world as colorfully as he saw it. Get on the magic bus!
groovy dog.jpg
groovy dog.jpg (11.56 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
RE Guy

Post by RE Guy »

Thanks for the reply's! After Gunsil's Japan comment, I too was thinking post WWII era. Possibly made during the occupation years and brought home by a soldier. Since their manufacturing infrastructure was essentially destroyed, many products that came out of Japan during that time was crude.
58chevy348

Post by 58chevy348 »

Hey RE guy, I sent you a pm. Those are pretty cool even if they are Japanese origin.
alabama

Post by alabama »

looks like that dog got into a batch of our 70s "electric Kool-Aid" we made from local shrooms...
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

alabama wrote:rather not say--he printed mind expanding ink on little pieces of paper-also windowpane,ect..
A student of Timothy Leary no doubt!
kootenay joe wrote:" little pieces of paper-also windowpane,ect." oh, like slice a purple cabbage and stare at it.
Merry Pranksters (Mary Pranksters ?)
kj
And the doodaa man just keeps truckin on. ::woot::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
eveled

Post by eveled »

The way conversations evolve has been a fascinating thing to watch. This thread is no exception. That poor dog. ::facepalm::

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”