Need information

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
kmkslink

Need information

Post by kmkslink »

New to the forum and I'm looking for information about this knife I was given. The large blade says "Premium Stock Knife" and 6089 under it. Just wondering about an age and value. Not interested in selling just curious. Also can I or should I try to clean it up? I haven't done anything to it since I received it.
IMG_20150826_145246018_HDR.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Need information

Post by treefarmer »

::welcome:: kmkslink!
Looks like a Tree brand with a little rust, will make a great knife for your pocket. A little oil on the joints and maybe a little cleaning with a #2 lead pencil on those rust spots and it should clean up fairly well. Not sure about the handle material, how to treat it but you have a nice knife to play with!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK.

1960s - Present is probably as close as you're going to be able to get, other than an educated guess from a Boker collector. As far as cleaning, at least get rid of the active rust. Scrubbing the rusty areas with a lead pencil should help some. If you're still not satisfied, the judicial use of 4-0 steel wool along with some Mothers Aluminum & Mag Polish (available at most automotive stores and probably Wal-Mart) should do the trick. Lots of folks on AAPK. Lots of different opinions and methods for dealing with the rust issue.

Left click on the image below to get a larger version. Click again if you cursor shows a circle with a plus sign in it.

I see Philip was typing at the same time as I was. :lol:
Attachments
Boker-Mark%20Zalesky's%20Boker%20Tang%20Stamps%202.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

I'm thinking that knife was made in the mid 1960s. I have a 1956, 1961 and 1964 catalog with that knife in it. It is the same except it has a tree stamp on the front of the spey blade. Also, in the catalog it has 4 pins in the handles, while your knife has three.
The 6089 pattern isn't found in catalogs 1967 and later, having been replaced with a similar pattern (9885). The 9885 has only three pins in the handles, no engraving in the bolsters, and no added tree stamp, but is otherwise the same.

Yours appears to be a hybrid between the earlier 6089 and the replacement 9885. That should put it squarely in the 1965-1966 time frame. Probably one of the last 6089 models made.
The handle material is what Boker called "NU-PEARL".
Attachments
6089 pattern in 1956 flier.
6089 pattern in 1956 flier.
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
kmkslink

Post by kmkslink »

Great info from all three of you. Thanks for the quick reply.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Gorgeous knife!! Knice gift!

If the rust is a little stubborn I'm a frequent user of the Knife Eraser. Can be found on ebay or Amazon for under $10.00.
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
alabama

Post by alabama »

triple f is right-I have used this type of eraser from 80s to now-3 to 4 dollars at local flea mkt.-metal impregnated erasers-older ones are harder-OIL THE JOINTS(not the kind I used in the 70s or 80s)

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”