Help with Toenail Pattern

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe

Help with Toenail Pattern

Post by kootenay joe »

I just won a single blade GEC that i cannot find in the GEC website in "Production Totals" or "Collect By Pattern".
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GEC-USA-Tidiou ... true&rt=nc

The listing title calls it "Lumber Jack" which is pattern #45, and "Whaler" which is pattern #46.
The only single blade barehead in either of these patterns is in 2012, in which there were 3 different handles but none in this type of bone. In 2012 there are two, 2 blade #45's, in Pioneer Bone & Frontier bone.
Note seller calls this "Frontier Bone" but on the GEC website it resembles "Pioneer Bone".

After winning i emailed the seller ("knifegirl", former part owner of GEC):

"Hi, is this a #45, Lumberjack ? or a #46 Whaler ?
I just looked at GEC website 'Archives'. They do not show a Primitive bone Barehead in either a 45 or a 46.
Was only this one made, not a run ?
Is the pattern # & year marked on the knife ? "

And received this reply:

"It's not primitive bone its frontier bone"

Why did she not answer about pattern # & year ?
Could this been one of the 2 blade 2012 #45's with the saw blade(useless) removed ?
On a 2 blade #45 is the pattern # on the secondary ?

I should have thought about this before bidding, but i didn't.
What do you think this knife is ?
kj
Attachments
s-l1600 (11).jpg
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Help with Toenail Pattern

Post by JohnR »

KJ, big blade on small end makes it a Lumberjack or a Roughneck, Whalers have big blade on big end. I think this is the Roughneck, I think all the Lumberjacks had a saw shield.
If you can't find a single blade in production totals it may be a Rendezvous knife, I have a couple from the 2016 Rendezvous in muscle bone made with leftover parts.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks John. Also the blade on the #46 Whaler looks deeper spine to edge.
The Rendezvous origin sounds right as there is no tube or paperwork.
kj

EDIT to add second reply from seller:

"The number is 4521 and the two year digits are covered... this knife hasn't been modified in anyway."

Is there a Rendezvous every year ?
kj
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Kj, there is a Rendezvous every year, usually around the first week of August. I like your knife and i think you got a pretty good deal considering how much these monsters are bringing. Funny thing when these knives were first produced they sat around the dealers for quite some time. Here is a pic of part of my haul from the 2016 Rendezvous, lots of great knives trading hands but what makes it really great is the people you meet, a lot are members of the forums.
Attachments
IMG_5753.jpg
mikek

Post by mikek »

That was one of the rendezvous knives that year. They sold for $150:00- $160:00 if memory serves me correctly, still kick myself for not picking one up. It was there 10 year anniversary. The rendezvous is held every year.
I pay extra for patina
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

O.K. 2016 Rendezvous knife. Thank you for the help.
I have been watching the toenail patterns on ebay for the last couple of months and prices are drifting down from the high of 2-3 months ago for most of them. Stag covers are still high.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

O.K. i picked up this "Whaler/Lumberjack" yesterday.
I like it ! The handles of "Frontier Bone" are more attractive than listing pics showed. Being a single blade & barehead keeps the weight down a little and makes for an actual comfortable fit in hand. I can only see "45" of the pattern number, rest is hidden by the bolster. Length is 4 3/8". Depth of blade, spine to edge at max is 34mm. (easier here to use metric to be exact).
If you have a #45 pattern is this the same 'depth' as on your knife ?
It is supposed to be new but the blade has fine scratches running length of blade, both sides. Close to tang and blade edge there is black 'staining' still present. Not sure if this was patina or early rust ?
Do Rendezvous knives come with 're-worked' blades ?
kj
Attachments
IMGP3430.JPG
IMGP3431.JPG
IMGP3434.JPG
IMGP3435.JPG

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”