Tube value

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
RCMsocal

Tube value

Post by RCMsocal »

Curious to know how much people think the lack of original tube/packaging would affect the value of an early GEC? Thanks
kootenay joe

Re: Tube value

Post by kootenay joe »

I have a 2006 #73 with Stag that i bought new from a dealer in early 2007. It is from the first run of the 73 pattern. It did not come in a box or tube. I believe it was just wrapped with the brown 'wax type' paper.
To answer your question for knives that did have a tube, it makes little difference to me. I am a knife collector, not a tube collector. However many and maybe most knife collectors are willing to pay more if the original packaging is present.
For the early GEC that did come in a tube, maybe absence of tube would take $25 off price with original tube ?
Good question. Looking forward to seeing what the GEC collectors will say.
kj
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Everyone is different so I can only speak for myself. For me, if it's a user, I really don't care. If it's a keeper, then yes it matters. It better come in the original tube and that tube better be in excellent shape.

This is no different than any other product whether it be knives, collectible toys, firearms, or anything else. Some people want the original packaging. It can have a profound effect with setting a price if that's what the client wants.

Depending on the item, some people want not only the original packaging, but they want it un-opened as well. It all depends on what the customer wants.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

How would one determine if a GEC tube is "unopened"? ::shrug::

They do not come sealed from the manufacturer or the dealer.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

RCMsocal wrote:Curious to know how much people think the lack of original tube/packaging would affect the value of an early GEC? Thanks
Four dollars and sixty one cents. Just kidding.

I agree that it all depends on the what the customer wants. For me personally, if I wanted the knife and it didn't come with the tube, I would not ask you to lower your price because of it.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Tsar Bomba wrote:How would one determine if a GEC tube is "unopened"? ::shrug::

They do not come sealed from the manufacturer or the dealer.
XX Case XX wrote:Depending on the item,
I wasn't referring to GEC Tubes at this point. I was referring to other things that have sealed packages. Toys, CD's, and other such items sometimes come from the manufacturer in sealed packages. Once that package is opened, the perceived value declines.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

If I owned such a knife, and was trying to sell it, and then received what I perceived as a lowball offer because it didn't have a tube....NEXT BUYER! It's not like there's only going to be one person interested in the knife, and someone certainly isn't going to buy what I'm trying to sell for less than what I have it valued at, because of a lack packaging. Railsplitter nailed it....If you're a hardcore collector, don't bother me with asking for a discount on what you see as my less-than-stellar example of what you're trying to buy, go find that minty, in-the-tube example. Just saying, as I'm usually a buyer anyway, but, that's my response in this hypothetical situation ::tu::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

An original tube or box included with a collectible knife is essentially a COA and, in the absence of anything else, generally considered the minimum standard of "documentation of provenance" by anyone who cares about such things for whatever reason; it's not necessarily just a "snobbish conceit" of fussy collectors with OCD.

As others have stated, the value of original packaging on any collectible will vary by individual and item. In certain cases, such as high-dollar, investment-grade custom knives, a COA or original packaging is important evidence or proof of specific characteristics or qualities such as the maker, the date of manufacture and/or the materials used.

For me personally, original packaging may affect the price I am willing to pay for certain knives if/when I want to have proof of origin (especially with custom made patterns that are frequently copied) or materials (such as genuine ivory or other "exotic" handle materials). And, I must admit, with my Case knives in particular, I really like having the original boxes with the factory labels whenever possible. That's not to say I would pass on a knife I wanted if it did not come with the original box; but, I might bid a little more to beat the competition in a hotly contested eBay auction if the original box is included.

~Q~

Apologies to OP for going slightly off-topic. My comments are about original packaging in general, not the specific tube value of an early GEC. :|
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

QTCut5 wrote:An original tube or box included with a collectible knife is essentially a COA and, in the absence of anything else, generally considered the minimum standard of "documentation of provenance" by anyone who cares about such things for whatever reason; it's not necessarily just a "snobbish conceit" of fussy collectors with OCD.

As others have stated, the value of original packaging on any collectible will vary by individual and item. In certain cases, such as high-dollar, investment-grade custom knives, a COA or original packaging is important evidence or proof of specific characteristics or qualities such as the maker, the date of manufacture and/or the materials used.

For me personally, original packaging may affect the price I am willing to pay for certain knives if/when I want to have proof of origin (especially with custom made patterns that are frequently copied) or materials (such as genuine ivory or other "exotic" handle materials). And, I must admit, with my Case knives in particular, I really like having the original boxes with the factory labels whenever possible. That's not to say I would pass on a knife I wanted if it did not come with the original box; but, I might bid a little more to beat the competition in a hotly contested eBay auction if the original box is included.
All of this cosigned, both in relation to knives in general and GECs specifically. For the handful of GECs I've added to my EDC pile (duplicates of safe queens), the tubes occasionally hold the knives but mostly live with a couple boxes, empty, just for the provenance of the particular knife.

I won't refuse a knife without a box or tube. I'll never refuse a tube or box with a knife.
RCMsocal

Post by RCMsocal »

Thanks for the input and thoughtful discussion everyone. I went ahead and bought a knife w/o packaging because I really like the knife--that may be the best guide in the end. Was just worrying that GEC prices are getting a little bit into "tulip mania" territory. Thanks again. RCM
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

I buy alot more than i part with. In my experience with primarily traditional knives mid 80s on, lack of original packaging decreases the price at least 30%. I personally like the original packaging, but I LOVE classic cutlery and have found excellent deals in many buying formats. Black box Winchesters I have bought on the bay from $16 - $25. I have found desireable GECs, like new, for $40 - $75. Same for other brands too. My $.02.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Robbobus, are you saying these very good deals were for knives that did not have the original packaging ?
I have a few relatively high end custom knives. None have any paperwork. Some makers just send you the knife, that's all, no certificate, but you might get a signed receipt.
Look at the custom knives for sale at the websites of the top end dealers. Likely none of those knives have associated paperwork. With high end custom knives, the style, quality of workmanship and maker's marking are what ID the knife as authentic.
Mid range semi custom knives like Sebenza, Hinderer or others are getting faked but i have never heard of fakes with higher end customs.
kj
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Hi Joe, thats exactly what I am saying, as it pertains to factory knives. Here are three I carry. The small ones were like new, $40 each and the 79 had some patina and was about $70. I've a Northfield beagle without tube as well for which I paid about $60. These were all forum purchases but were viewed by quite a few before I saw them and wrote "I will take that please" as fast as my finger types. Fair market value with packaging would have been 50 - 100% higher. Formerly I have found great deals on Spyderco and Benchmade knives without packaging as well. Even with rare modern produced knives, no packaging = less money.
20180127_074039_HDR_Film2-1.jpg
As for customs, a zipper case is the fanciest packaging I have ever received. A $500 custom arrived from a maker in a padded envelope with the knife wrapped in bathroom tissue was the least fancy packed knife.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”