Grandfather’s Collection Knife of the Day

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
espn77

Re: Grandfather’s Collection Knife of the Day

Post by espn77 »

You granddad was the real deal collector. Some great, rare knives you have shown us. ::tu::
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

It is a real treat getting to see these knives. ::tu:: 8)

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

This is the Best Knife Show going right now ! During approximately which years did your grandfather acquire these knives ?
Is the entire collection of minty knives ? Any used ones ?
Most of us never get to own knives like you are showing us. We try to find them & then afford them and along the way acquire hundreds or thousands of 'lesser' knives.
If you GF's collection is only minty knives then he was a very knowledgeable knife guy.
kj
Hugh_Glass

Post by Hugh_Glass »

Glad everyone is enjoying them! I’ve been looking on Case College, but couldn’t identify this one other than the Sabre blade, the date of manufacture, and the coffin style. What is the correct name for a knife where the blade doesn’t fold, but extends from the body?
Hugh_Glass

Post by Hugh_Glass »

kootenay joe wrote:This is the Best Knife Show going right now ! During approximately which years did your grandfather acquire these knives ?
Is the entire collection of minty knives ? Any used ones ?
Most of us never get to own knives like you are showing us. We try to find them & then afford them and along the way acquire hundreds or thousands of 'lesser' knives.
If you GF's collection is only minty knives then he was a very knowledgeable knife guy.
kj

My grandfather started a collection of knives like these and quality firearms from his early working years (late 1950s) up until the late1980s when the entire collection was stolen. (An event that makes a then unborn grandson queasy now) He spent the remaining 25 years collecting the knives I’ll be showing.

Looking back, most of his collecting was done prior to knives hitting the internet. I can still remember fetching mailing lists with horrible photocopied images and lists on news print from the mail box ::facepalm::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have never seen a name applied to the 'slider' mechanism, or the knife. It is an "OTF", right ? Out The Front. But not spring loaded ?
kj
edit to add: your opening post says "’ll be posting a knife every day or two for the next 2 months"
This is so much fun how about posting 2 knives some days ? a double treat. The replies will still come in. Two knives a day will not over power the knowledgeable members.
Hugh_Glass

Post by Hugh_Glass »

kootenay joe wrote:I have never seen a name applied to the 'slider' mechanism, or the knife. It is an "OTF", right ? Out The Front. But not spring loaded ?
kj
No spring, just OTF. Saving springs for later :lol:
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

It is a PB knife which stands for Push Button. There are 4 stages to the “push slots”. I own one not in that condition. Another stunning knife.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

WOW ×100, that's all I got. I hope my grandson doesn't see these cause he'd be awfully disappointed with his grandpa's knives that he'll inherit. ::woot:: :lol:
npeters3

Post by npeters3 »

Some great knives!! You will have a hard time keeping up with this standard if you decide to continue on the collection that your grandfather started.
Thanks for sharing
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." -John Wooden
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Hugh_Glass wrote:Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend.

Another Case! There are a few I remember as a youngster, thhis being one of them.

Case on face.

Tomorrow I will transition to another maker, inspired by a thread from today’s General Discussion forum. Happy browsing!
Another book out the window knife. To be more specific with my answer, it is a CASE TESTED PB91050 in Imitation Onyx.

In 2010 Pocket Knife Trader Guide, $800, That is a $1000 knife in my opinion if I was selling it. Again, if stone mint as it appears and not professionally cleaned.

Mine has handle shrinkage and loose handle on one pin. Also, an advertisement knife is seen in last pic.

Jerry
Attachments
CASE TESTED PB91050 Push Button_mark side blade closed.jpg
CASE TESTED PB91050 Push Button_mark side blade closed.jpg (30.26 KiB) Viewed 3264 times
CASE TESTED PB91050 Push Button_mark side blade extended to position 2.jpg
CASE TESTED PB91050 Push Button_mark side blade extended to position 2.jpg (28.08 KiB) Viewed 3264 times
CASE TESTED PB91050 Push Button_mark side blade extended.jpg
CASE TESTED PB91050 Push Button_mark side blade extended.jpg (26.02 KiB) Viewed 3264 times
CASE TESTED PB91050 Push Button_pile side blade extended.jpg
CASE TESTED PB91050 Push Button_pile side blade extended.jpg (27.54 KiB) Viewed 3264 times
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Hugh_Glass wrote:Glad everyone is enjoying them! I’ve been looking on Case College, but couldn’t identify this one other than the Sabre blade, the date of manufacture, and the coffin style. What is the correct name for a knife where the blade doesn’t fold, but extends from the body?
Scarce knife. That pattern us called a "push button blade slide knife". Pattern number is PBB1050, per old Case catalogs. Handles are called imitation onyx in the Case catalogs. By the way collectors usually call the shape "Coke bottle", not coffin. There's a definite but subtle difference.

I have one just like it except the pattern number is PBB1050F (F for fish). The backside of the blade is a fish scaler.
Hugh_Glass wrote:
Looking back, most of his collecting was done prior to knives hitting the internet. I can still remember fetching mailing lists with horrible photocopied images and lists on news print from the mail box ::facepalm::
Much of my collection dates from the same timeframe. I still have some of those old photocopied mailing lists. :lol:

Ken

Edit - looks like Jerry and I were posting at the same time. With regard to the pattern number, Sargent's Guide lists it as PB91050 which is logical, with the "9" being the correct designator for the handle material. However old catalogs show it as PBB1050. Although I've not seen it described, my guess is "PBB" stands for Push Button Blade. Scarce knife either way!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Fine looking knives Ken and Jerry absolutely beautiful. ::tu::
Hugh_Glass

Post by Hugh_Glass »

You gents are a wealth of knowledge. Both very nice knives in your collection. Love the advertisement knife and the fishing blade ::tu::
Hugh_Glass

Post by Hugh_Glass »

Posting for tomorrow a Two-for-Tuesday.

KA-BAR with Dog’s Head shield

UNION CUT CO
OLEAN NY

Bottom

Queen Cutlery

Queen Emblem on face
Attachments
DFAD1A55-03D6-4CF8-9C1E-8F344A1E9F46.jpeg
3E49B42F-E676-4E82-9EA9-BB6D00D760EF.jpeg
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Gorgeous. ::tu:: your grandad sure left you some jewels. ::nod::
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Hugh, a couple more beauties. I’ve not seen many old Queen knives. I would be grateful for the Queen aficionados to comment with regard to whether the handles are Queen winterbottom or not.
bdev

Post by bdev »

RalphAlsip wrote:Hugh, a couple more beauties. I’ve not seen many old Queen knives. I would be grateful for the Queen aficionados to comment with regard to whether the handles are Queen winterbottom or not.
That's a Queen 38 with what could be early Winterbottom Bone handles.

BTW.....That's the best I've ever seen.

Look here.
https://franksclassicknives.com/pages/w ... fe-handles
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

That's a Queen 38 with what could be early Winterbottom Bone handles.

Bruno I'm far from an expert but I believe you are correct
bdev

Post by bdev »

bighomer wrote:That's a Queen 38 with what could be early Winterbottom Bone handles.

Bruno I'm far from an expert but I believe you are correct
Now that I look again, I don't believe they're early bone. Probably standard Winterbottom. Fantastic knife.
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

::drool:: ::drool:: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Your Grandfather lived the old folding hunters.

Harold
BWT

Post by BWT »

Hugh, you're a lucky lucky guy to have someone leave you the beautiful knives that you have been sharing with all of us.
Bill
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

bdev wrote:That's a Queen 38 with what could be early Winterbottom Bone handles.

Look here.
https://franksclassicknives.com/pages/w ... fe-handles
Bruno, thank you for clarifying the bone and thanks for providing the link to the reference. The Queen Winterbottom looks similar, yet different, to the Case Winterbottom that I am more familiar with.
Hugh_Glass

Post by Hugh_Glass »

Sorry for the break in contact, was in the field for a few days.

Picking up with another knife.
Advertisement knife for Clement Restien & Co, Philadephia and Belmont Packing

Front:
New York Knife Co Walden

Reverse:
Blank

Knife shows some tarnish, but the shield is still raised.

This brings up another discussion that Ill look on other threads for, but best cleaning practices are something Im continuing to learn about.

Enjoy!
Attachments
75DE5199-1D26-4288-8981-AD49281D06FF.jpeg
2C0E654A-A44A-49F3-AC6C-EEC74C0B499F.jpeg

Return to “General Knife Discussion”