Having trouble navigating AAPK this morning

Tell us how we are doing, report problems, voice your concerns, and all that stuff... All input is appreciated and will be taken into consideration.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Having trouble navigating AAPK this morning

Post by djknife13 »

The site appears to have been changed so I can't find any of the threads I like to go to. What happened to "My Posts" or "New Posts" or my notifications or messages icons? Did I change something on my computer or has the site been revamped and I just can't figure out how to use it now. ___Dave___Dave
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Having trouble navigating AAPK this morning

Post by gsmith7158 »

Revamped Dave. Look for the quick links button near the center of the screen. Same line just moved over to accommodate the new store search feature.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...........everytime I learn how to do something on this electronic POS, it get's changed!!!........... ::facepalm:: ................
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Look here:
2018-01-13_073631.png
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::dang:: Carrlmulls... Don't feel bad, I had to have a Jr. High student on a bus route help me clear my phone! ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

fergusontd wrote:::dang:: Carrlmulls... Don't feel bad, I had to have a Jr. High student on a bus route help me clear my phone! ftd
............glad to know I'm not alone!!!........I don't have one of them "atomic" phones, either!!!!.......... ::tu:: ....................
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

And now it's back where it was previously. ::ds::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
TwoFlowersLuggage

The little elves are always working their magic, unseen but not unnoticed... :D
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Thanks. I'd have never found it there. AoL has changed EVERYTHING on my computer the past week and I almost threw this thing out and went back to telephones, the postal system and driving to my kids houses to see what's going on in the world. I hate change.____Dave
TwoFlowersLuggage

Wait - did you say AoL?? ::facepalm::

Umm, you do know it's not 1995, right? The only constant is change! Do not be the rock in the middle of the stream, never moving, but being worn down over the years until you no longer matter. No - be the water, continually cutting a new path into the future!
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Well it appears to be back to normal now and we have a new search feature above it. Good work Bryan! ::tu:: ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:Wait - did you say AoL?? ::facepalm::

Umm, you do know it's not 1995, right? The only constant is change! Do not be the rock in the middle of the stream, never moving, but being worn down over the years until you no longer matter. No - be the water, continually cutting a new path into the future!
Terry, have you ever lived in the sticks? Sometimes the choices are limited. ::tired::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TwoFlowersLuggage

Sorry Jerry, but there is no where in the world where AOL is the only choice. AOL is no longer a significant provider of home internet service, it is just software that runs on your computer that provides access to an email account and some proprietary security tools. You are usually getting your actual internet connection from someone else. If you are using dial-up, the numbers you are calling aren't owned by AOL anymore. You certainly might not be able to get high-speed access, but even if you are in the slow lane of the information superhighway, you don't need to be using a model T that requires you to get out and push. I'm willing to bet anyone that currently has AOL and dial-up can get their dial-up service from someone other than AOL - like AT&T or the Canadian equivalent. And, if you have a view of the Southern sky, then you can probably get this: https://www.hughesnet.com/ I will also certainly admit that hughesnet is not cheap, but it is an option.

I'm sorry if I sound like a tech snob - I just hate to see folks thinking they can't learn new tricks and that they are stuck with what they have.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I'm no Luddite, but I agree about being resistant to change. To use the car analogy, when I get in my car I like it to respond the same way every time. When I turn the key in the ignition, I like the engine to start. When I put it in gear, I like to know I'm going to move either forward or backward. When I press the accelerator, I like the vehicle to move (doesn't have to be fast, just as long as it moves). When I press the brake pedal, I like the car to stop moving. Now, imagine my frustration if suddenly one morning when I got in my car nothing worked the way I was used to, I had to search around for the proper controls to make it function and I had to re-learn all the driving habits that were so familiar they had become automatic and reflexive. I know it's not impossible to re-train the deep grooves in your brain, but it definitely isn't easy, and it gets harder and harder with age. If you don't believe me, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFzDaBzBlL0

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
TwoFlowersLuggage

Trust me - I get it - change is hard. I work with people struggling with technology change every day. I have a couple of comments regarding this:

1) Change is not done to you, it is done for you. The engineers at Microsoft really do believe that Windows 10 will be better than Windows 7, and that once you are past the initial change, you will prefer the new system. Let's use your car analogy. In the Model T, the throttle was not a gas pedal. It was a lever on the steering column. The right-most of the 3 pedals was the brake. Now, can you imagine trying to drive a car with those controls on today's highway at 70 MPH? No way! Changing the controls of the Model T was needed to move forward, and without that change, you would not be able to have the performance and safety you have today.

2) IMHO, the key to adapting to change is to acquire some knowledge about the actual workings of the system. You don't need to be an engineer, but it certainly helps to understand something about what the buttons & levers do. This will allow you to not simply look for the lever you have always pulled, but to understand that whether it is a lever or a button doesn't really matter. What matters is that there is going to be a control to do that function. It might look different, be a different color, or be moved to different menu, but once I know where the control is, I know what it will do.

I'll tell you a story about my Dad (he died about 13 years ago at the age of 86). He was visiting and said he needed to get some cash. So, I took him to the nearest ATM. He walks up, inserts his card and starts pushing buttons. I then hear the familiar "@#$%" and he hits cancel and ejects his card. Once again, he inserts his card, and immediately starts pushing buttons - and the same thing happens again, no cash, just more expletives.

So, I walk up to help him. I tell him to try again so I can watch him. I noticed that as soon as he inserted his card, he started pushing the buttons - he wasn't even reading the screen! So, I stop him and say "OK, one more time, but this time just insert your card and don't do anything else. Let's see what the screen says." So, he does as I asked, and the first thing on the screen was "English or Spanish?" He looks at it and says "What the "@%$#" is that? The one at home doesn't ask if I want it in Spanish!" He then selected "English" and followed all the screens after that, and successfully got his cash.

He was not even reading the screen. He was just assuming that every ATM in the world worked exactly the same and as long as he had memorized the keys to press, he would get his money. That is exactly the wrong way to use technology.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Well said, Terry. I think a lot of my frustration with the constant changes in the technology I have managed to learn to use is that the changes don't seem to be something that helps me...in fact, sometimes they can actually hinder me, either because I don't understand how the technology works, or it doesn't understand how I think.

I realize this may be a somewhat regressive attitude or irrational fear, but I must confess that I feel reluctant to relinquish too much control over my life to man-made technology--which is ridiculous when I consider how much technology I already rely on everyday for practically all of my basic survival needs. But, I also think oftentimes technology creates just as many problems as it purports to solve. I see people all around me who have literally lost the ability to think for themselves or learn anything new other than how to upgrade to the most current version of whatever technology they've become addicted to. And the progression towards a world controlled by Artificial Intelligence disturbs me, quite frankly, because it seems like a huge Pandora's Box of unintended consequences (not that human intelligence has necessarily always proven to be any better, for that matter).

It's a brave new world we live in. Apparently, we must either adapt or perish.

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
TwoFlowersLuggage

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I see our technology getting less "smart", not more. Sure, the self-driving cars and creepy robots get the media attention, but those are just parlor tricks compared to a true artificial intelligence that is self-aware. They aren't even close to achieving anything like that, and as long as the world is run by sales & marketing executives, it won't happen. Why? Well, because they want to build everything cheaper and flashier. They don't care if it actually works - they just want you to buy the product and then when it breaks a week after the 30 day money-back guarantee expires, they want you to come back and buy the "new & improved" model (that is neither new nor improved). I don't think we have to worry too much about killer robots when we can't build a water heater that lasts more than 5 years.

I want to use technology so that I will not be used by technology! ::cr::

Return to “Suggestions, Questions, Comments, Concerns, Alerts, Etc...”