Are lansky sharpeners made in china now?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
KnifeSlinger#81

Are lansky sharpeners made in china now?

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

So I use a lansky a lot for those tedious small blades, I've had it for quite a few years. Recently a piece of my clamp broke so I ordered a new one (free with ebay bucks, but it was actually about $11). I noticed a difference in the stock photo but figured, no big deal, it's been a long time I've had mine so no surprise if it changed a little.

However this new one is way different, and says made in china on the pack! So now I'm wondering if they make them all in china now. I noticed the whole kit comes in a black box on lansky's website, my box is red. The old clamp is of superior quality and much thicker in the back. The only reason my old one chipped is I had it on a blade at a weird angle, and got it too tight ::facepalm::
IMG_4244.JPG
IMG_4245.JPG
IMG_4246.JPG
IMG_4247.JPG
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: Are lansky sharpeners made in china now?

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Lansky had changed the design of their clamp, then recently they went back to older design because of customer complaints. Have you looked on the Lansky website to see what they are currently selling? Maybe what you bought off ebay was an old stock from before this latest change back to the original design?

Here's a link to what they claim to be selling now: https://lansky.com/index.php/products/m ... ife-clamp/

I also found this picture on another forum: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1715/248 ... 2667_b.jpg
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

They have changed the design of the clamp several times. No doubt to reduce "production costs" (along with moving offshore). I was selling knives at gunshows in the early 1980's and the first Lansky sharpeners I got had a 3 piece clamp with the main body being aluminum, and the two slotted risers were steel and attached to the aluminum body with screws. Shortly after that they went to the one piece aluminum body, which is like the one I still have.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: I have this Lansky multitool I keep on my keys, don't know where it's made , but it's really handy! ftd
20180111_094742.jpg
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

I just bought the standard kit from SMKW. It came in a Black Box and was made in China. My clamp is solid though.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Bought my "basic" Lansky kit in 1996, made in USA, three hones (fine, medium, course) all parts came in a molded, black plastic box. Still using it, nothing broken yet. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

fergusontd wrote:::tu:: I have this Lansky multitool I keep on my keys, don't know where it's made , but it's really handy! ftd20180111_094742.jpg
Ohhhhh, I was like....I have to have that. Bingo! Bought on ebay! Thanks ftd!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: Your welcome TripleF, I said the same thing when I seen it at a gunshop. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”