My First GEC Knife

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe

My First GEC Knife

Post by kootenay joe »

It was very early in 2007. GEC has just opened up in late 2006 but i think it was not until January 2007 that the first knives left the factory.
The first run was of the #23 pattern and some of the early buyers were posting unhappy remarks like blades too hard to open, blade rub++, etc.
I had ordered a #73 which i think was their second run of knives and so was rather anxious as to what i was going to receive.
When the knife arrived i opened it up and was immediately thrilled with what i had in hand. Yes it had a pin crack, but that is minor and everything else is PERFECT. A real keeper for sure.
Now nearly 11 years later, and many GEC knives later, this 2006 GEC #73 remains my favorite GEC. Note that the master blade is marked "Northfield" & "Tidioute Cutlery". They had not yet decided on these being separate 'lines'.
If you still have your 'first GEC', how about showing it here in this thread.
kj
Attachments
IMGP3222.JPG
IMGP3223.JPG
IMGP3224.JPG
IMGP3225.JPG
IMGP3225.JPG (65.89 KiB) Viewed 2868 times
IMGP3226.JPG
XX Case XX

Re: My First GEC Knife

Post by XX Case XX »

That's a real nice GEC Roland. It almost looks like Red Stag. Sure is beautiful. I wish GEC would go back to putting shields on the Stag knives. I think they look much better that way, and your knife proves that point as far as I'm concerned. Absolutely gorgeous. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Nice knife, Roland. Thank you for sharing that information about the two blade stamps. I didn't know that GEC had not decided to separate the brands in the early stages. Good stuff.

I don't have my first GEC but if I remember correctly, it was the Red Bone #25 Easy Open in this pic. Not a Prototype but one just like it.
Attachments
25EOsetsm-2.jpg
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I am not sure whether I still have my first GEC. I think I do and this 23 would be it. Made in 2008. Bought in 2008. I have another one made in 2007 but I did not buy it until after this one. This may (like unto Roland's) be my favorite GEC out of a few that I own.
Northfield 23 001.jpg
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I am almost embarrassed to admit that I do not have a single GEC, Northwoods, or Schatt & Morgan knife. Seeing all these great knives that you guys post pictures of on AAPK has made me make my 2018 New Years resolution: to get at least one of each of these 3 makers. Are they all comparable in quality in your opinion? And the best place to buy them is?
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

P1010546.JPG
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:I am almost embarrassed to admit that I do not have a single GEC, Northwoods, or Schatt & Morgan knife. Seeing all these great knives that you guys post pictures of on AAPK has made me make my 2018 New Years resolution: to get at least one of each of these 3 makers. Are they all comparable in quality in your opinion? And the best place to buy them is?
Well OC, Schatt & Morgan's are fairly common, so for that knife, I would start right here. There are a bunch for sale amongst these here stores and most are not very expensive at all. You can also find them on eBay. Shop around for the best price.

As far as GEC, well that's a different story, but again, I would start right here in the stores as well as placing a "Want-Ad" in that section and see if someone here has one they'd like to sell. You might be able to get a little better price that way. Also, for GEC, go to their website and click on the "Distributors" list. There are several dealers that carry a bunch of different patterns and some of them even have the exact knife you will get if you buy it.

For Northwoods, good luck unless you're willing to pay handsomely, read: RIDICULOUS, prices, especially on eBay. You could theoretically grab one right as they go on sale from KSF (Knives Ship Free) if you're lucky enough.

They are all quality knives. I know this because I have at least one of all 3. You could also place a "Want-to-Trade" ad here and see if anyone is willing to trade. That could also work. Remember though, just because you don't own a GEC or Northwoods doesn't make your collection any less desireable than someone elses. I've seen plenty of collections that don't contain any of those brands and I almost fell out of my chair when I saw them.

Collect what you like and never mind about what anyone else has.

tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Are Northwoods knives made by GEC?
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

XX Case XX wrote:
OLDE CUTLER wrote:I am almost embarrassed to admit that I do not have a single GEC, Northwoods, or Schatt & Morgan knife. Seeing all these great knives that you guys post pictures of on AAPK has made me make my 2018 New Years resolution: to get at least one of each of these 3 makers. Are they all comparable in quality in your opinion? And the best place to buy them is?
Well OC, Schatt & Morgan's are fairly common, so for that knife, I would start right here. There are a bunch for sale amongst these here stores and most are not very expensive at all. You can also find them on eBay. Shop around for the best price.

As far as GEC, well that's a different story, but again, I would start right here in the stores as well as placing a "Want-Ad" in that section and see if someone here has one they'd like to sell. You might be able to get a little better price that way. Also, for GEC, go to their website and click on the "Distributors" list. There are several dealers that carry a bunch of different patterns and some of them even have the exact knife you will get if you buy it.

For Northwoods, good luck unless you're willing to pay handsomely, read: RIDICULOUS, prices, especially on eBay. You could theoretically grab one right as they go on sale from KSF (Knives Ship Free) if you're lucky enough.

They are all quality knives. I know this because I have at least one of all 3. You could also place a "Want-to-Trade" ad here and see if anyone is willing to trade. That could also work. Remember though, just because you don't own a GEC or Northwoods doesn't make your collection any less desireable than someone elses. I've seen plenty of collections that don't contain any of those brands and I almost fell out of my chair when I saw them.

Collect what you like and never mind about what anyone else has.

Thanks for the advice. I have mostly old stuff now, a lot that I have rebuilt or worked on, a few newer Case knives, but I want to see what the modern made US brands are like. Like I said, my 2018 New Years resolution. That's exactly what I wanted was an opinion from someone who owns all 3 brands.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

tongueriver wrote:Are Northwoods knives made by GEC?
I believe that most Northwoods are made by GEC since Derrick Bohn (KSF) acquired the rights. That's my understanding at least.

Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

XX Case XX wrote:
tongueriver wrote:Are Northwoods knives made by GEC?
I believe that most Northwoods are made by GEC since Derrick Bohn (KSF) acquired the rights. That's my understanding at least.
Derrick may have had Queen build one or two since then. For the most part, recently, they've been on GEC frames. However, due to (I believe) steel selections the Northwoods Everyday Barlows were built on Queen #69 frames by Queen because GEC didn't offer the kind of stainless desired...

I was really late to the GEC party, but here's my first -- I still like this picture because of the disembodied hands... :lol:
25509355100_909f88f061_k.jpg
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Tony you think you were late to the party, here are my first GEC'S. :D
Attachments
20171223_215858.jpg
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”