Lenox vintage pen knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
DelNich.57

Lenox vintage pen knife

Post by DelNich.57 »

If anyone could give me any information at all on this Lenox knife please advise. Much thanks. It is approximately 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches closed.
Attachments
1510394888087238487790.jpg
15103949282861674954253.jpg
15103950060881151933301.jpg
kootenay joe

Re: Lenox vintage pen knife

Post by kootenay joe »

I believe this brand is an import from German, considered to be of 'low' collectibility; i.e. can be a well made knife(or not) but of low value because of low demand by collectors.
kj
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

I may be mistaken, but it looks like the handles might be celluloid based on the red-brown discoloration around the pins and what appears to be crazing in the handles. This would be a sign of deterioration/out-gassing of the celluloid. Are the handles real MOP or plastic?
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
DelNich.57

Post by DelNich.57 »

tjmurphy wrote:I may be mistaken, but it looks like the handles might be celluloid based on the red-brown discoloration around the pins and what appears to be crazing in the handles. This would be a sign of deterioration/out-gassing of the celluloid. Are the handles real MOP or plastic?
DelNich.57 wrote:If anyone could give me any information at all on this Lenox knife please advise. Much thanks. It is approximately 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches closed.
Thank you for your time with a brand new collector of sorts (maybe 6 months). I believe it to be real M.O.P. as it is cool to the touch, I don't know any other way to tell. What is "out gassing" and is it a danger to any other knives in the roll or box? Thank you.
DelNich.57

Post by DelNich.57 »

kootenay joe wrote:I believe this brand is an import from German, considered to be of 'low' collectibility; i.e. can be a well made knife(or not) but of low value because of low demand by collectors.
kj
. Thank you for your response Joe, may God bless you and your family.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Hi DelNich,
Rub the knife firmly between your hands until it is quite warm. If you smell Camphor (like vicks vapo rub) the knife is celluloid. Or you can heat a pin or sewing needle and stick it in an unobtrusive area to see it if smokes/melts.

My first thought was that it is celluloid (very nice celluloid) but it just may be rust seeping into the pearl if it is MOP.

If it confirms to be celluloid, you will want to keep it separate from any other knives.
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

DelNich.57 wrote:
tjmurphy wrote:I may be mistaken, but it looks like the handles might be celluloid based on the red-brown discoloration around the pins and what appears to be crazing in the handles. This would be a sign of deterioration/out-gassing of the celluloid. Are the handles real MOP or plastic?
DelNich.57 wrote:If anyone could give me any information at all on this Lenox knife please advise. Much thanks. It is approximately 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches closed.
Thank you for your time with a brand new collector of sorts (maybe 6 months). I believe it to be real M.O.P. as it is cool to the touch, I don't know any other way to tell. What is "out gassing" and is it a danger to any other knives in the roll or box? Thank you.
Use the "search" option and you will find a lot of info on outgassing.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I believe the handles are genuine pearl. Some pearl discolors with age.
kj
DelNich.57

Post by DelNich.57 »

kootenay joe wrote:I believe the handles are genuine pearl. Some pearl discolors with age.
kj
Thank you "Joe" I appreciate any feedback. Thank you for making me feel welcome. I'm sorry I took so long to reply.
DelNich.57

Post by DelNich.57 »

americanedgetech wrote:Hi DelNich,
Rub the knife firmly between your hands until it is quite warm. If you smell Camphor (like vicks vapo rub) the knife is celluloid. Or you can heat a pin or sewing needle and stick it in an unobtrusive area to see it if smokes/melts.

My first thought was that it is celluloid (very nice celluloid) but it just may be rust seeping into the pearl if it is MOP.

If it confirms to be celluloid, you will want to keep it separate from any other knives.
Thank you for your response and the tips, I tried the rubbing method until it was quite warm and smelled nothing. Something very useful to learn and apparently it is genuine M.O.P. Yay!!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Absolutely the handles are pearl. No doubts what-so-ever.
kj
espn77

Post by espn77 »

kootenay joe wrote:Absolutely the handles are pearl. No doubts what-so-ever.
kj
I agree. Pearl!!
alabama

Post by alabama »

your knife is pearl-I have several lenox geman made knives-1909 to 1914- I look for them on ebay and other places-high quality not worth a lot because of demand..

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”