Pearl Harbor Day

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Pearl Harbor Day

Post by Paladin »

Guys,
Let's all be sure to remember that today is "the day that will live in infamy". Let's not forget the soldiers, sailors and Marines and civilians who died on this date in 1941. I was just over a year old at the time. I do still remember the day that my Marine Dad returned from the Pacific.
Hats off and prayers for the men and women of the greatest generation. ::pray::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Pearl Harbor Day

Post by jerryd6818 »

Ray, our generation is the last to whom this will be important. We're fading fast as are the memories of important events in history. The days are long gone when anyone "remembered the Maine".
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

Thanks for posting this reminder, Ray. Our country was never the same after Pearl Harbor as the U.S. was shocked to learn first hand what a dangerous world we live in. Even though better prepared today we still live in a dangerous and crazy world and we are still losing tremendous young people serving in the military. We should honor the past and present wounded and fallen warriors today in thought and prayer.

JDD
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

I hope not, Jerry.

People don't remember the Maine a lot, hopefully we as a nation will Remember Pearl Harbor as long as Texans Remember the Alamo. We were maintaining that event in our history for 105 years before Pearl Harbor occured, so there's a chance.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

We'll see how much coverage the news gives this today. :roll:

The only mention on Facebook I am seeing is from veterans.
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

My Dad was just out of high school in rural Kansas in 1941. He said everybody was asking, where the heck is Pearl Harbor?? He signed up with the Navy the next day, stayed in 14 years.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

We do owe those folks of the greatest generation a salute!

In recent years it does not seem that December 7 gets much attention. I guess it is natural for memories to fade as everyone who actually remembers the day is getting pretty old by now and we have more recent wars to remember. I do not think many folks under fifty really have a clue just how huge WWII was compared to anything that has happened since its end.
Mel
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

l agree with Jerry and it's sad, we grew up with the greatest generation and we heard first hand how things were during the war, also the same applies to the great depression , we were raise by the people who lived it. The generations that followed it gets a little farther removed each year. I doubt it gets as much emphasis in the history books as when we were younsters.My grandson was interested in these things in his teen years, he interviewed my neighbor, a WWII vet for a school paper and later he interviewed me about Nam, but l suspect he was in the minority. ::shrug:: Anyway let us ole farts.
REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Went into town early this am and found the giant American Flag flying close to I-10 at half mast! Turned into Walmart and their flag was at half mast. That was refreshing!
Had Pearl Harbor not happened, I might not be here. My dad joined the Army, was in Nevada teaching desert driving in some motorpool outfit, my mother was nurse in a hospital in Ely, Nevada during WWII. Some how they met and were married there in Ely, Nevada.
Dad was blessed to stay stateside the whole war. He mentioned Alabama and Nevada when he reminisced about the Army. Finally figured out he was at what is now Fort Rucker in Alabama. That's not to far from where we live. Have no info about the Nevada desert driving.
Pearl Harbor turned this country on its' ear for a very short time. But when folks pulled together, military and civilian, they overcame with Gods help. Hope we can still do it the need ever arises. Looks a lot like our conflict is from within. ::hmm::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

December 7 sure got my attention back in 1965. I was into my first full day of basic training at Ft. Knox, Kentucky.
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

We should never forget what happened at Pearl Harbor.
Attachments
origin1.jpg
origin2.jpg
origin3.jpg
origin4.jpg
origin5.jpg
origin6.jpg
origin7.jpg
origin8.jpg
origin9.jpg
origin10.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Ever
Attachments
origin11.jpg
origin12.jpg
origin13.jpg
origin14.jpg
origin15.jpg
origin16.jpg
origin17.jpg
origin18.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

When FDR said it was a date which will live in infamy he could not have been more correct.

Thank you for the photos Charlie.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Thanks everyone, specially Charlie for showing the pictures. It's good to remind us younger guys about it. I've been trying to share with my daughter my limited knowledge about today in 1941.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Thanks for posting the pictures Charlie, I for one will never forget Dec. 7, although I wasn't born until a year later. I worked for a guy in the construction business in the early 60's that was a "guest" of the Japs for about 3 1/2 years. He got captured on the Island of Java at the start of the war. We would set around the motel room after work and he would tell war stories, some hard to believe. He was in a book called the "Bamboo Railroad", wrote by another POW medic that saved countless lives in the camp with very little in the way of medical supplies. He spent most of his time in Burma and VN building a railroad, used elephants to haul timbers. He was less than 100 lbs when he got out, and started out about 175. He was one tough guy, got in a lot of fights and won most. I could go on and on but you get the picture. One of the hero's that lived to tell about it. I'm proud to call him a friend and glad I had enough sense to listen to him. RIP Clay Brumbaugh, Bradshaw, Ne. ::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

It was hearing men who had actually been there talking about the war that made the most impression on me when I was young. Two if my uncles were in the Navy in WWII and I still recall the one who was in the Pacific talking to my father about how bad it was assaulting one of the islands, I do not know which. It made an impression on me, though I do not think I was supposed to be listening when he spoke of how many men died and how.

One of my fathers fishing buddies was a WWI vet. He had a terrible cough from mustard gas in France. He never let it stop him from having a job or fishing. Back then It was just something that had happened and that he lived with. Now that I am about the age he was when I knew him, I think about him a lot of times and how he never complained about what happened to him. He was a real example of fortitude.
Mel
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Charlie, great photos,.Mel and Terry great stories, thanks for sharing ::tu::

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”